1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft signs CPU agreement with ARM

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 26 Jul 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

would ARM really give intel a run for its money on larger faster chips?

I'd love to know - goes back and switches on the A4000 and hugs self

3. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Don't worry Intel, this move is completely 'ARM-less :hehe:

ARM won't ever challenge Intel in the market for desktops or even mid-range laptops, its chip architecture isn't designed for that. What's more likely are ARM-based netbooks/smartbooks/tablets, and Microsoft's covering its bases in case this takes off and an ARM build of Windows 7 is needed.

4. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

How often will you be upgrading your PC? How often will you be changing your smartphone?

Most (and I don't mean us!) people will change their phone 2 maybe 3 times before any major PC change. If ARM is becoming the norm for smartphones then this could be a very clever move by Microsoft.

Most enthusiasts do change their PC or it's components alot more often but we are the minority. Given the number of pies Intel sticks it's fingers in, I don't really see them worrying too much.

5. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Maybe MS has a lighter version of windows 7 with a touch-friendly interface in the pipeline? Something capable of web browsing, content consumption and maybe basic office stuff, with a fraction of the overhead of full-blown Windows? That would fit quite nicely with a MS/ARM collaboration that produces iPad-whipping tablet and Atom-smashing (sorry) netbook CPUs.

6. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Microsoft, if you think that using ARM for your next Xbox will cut down on the noise and RRoD events...

7. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Good Lord, you still have an Archimedes ?
    Damn, i remember seeing Tetris at my cousin's house on his Archimedes...and the Flag demo, blowing in the Wind...

A Sweet machine ;)

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I rescued a two-slice RiscPC (with 52x CD-ROM, 40GB hard drive, and 250MB ZIP drive, no less) from a skip once. Still works, too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Jul 2010
  9. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Also, I think Intel drew blood first on this lovein by showing the world Android running on an Atom based device in April this year.

10. koli

koli What's a Dremel?

Maybe it is for some media player/hub device (apple tv kind of thing). I am considering XB360 for its media capability (movies, skyplayer, maybe zune music in the future) and for that the full fat 360 is overkill.

If MS can make it small and quiet that it would be a nobrainer for me.

11. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Another nail in Atom's coffin. You either want lots of power, or enough power with low power consumption. Atom is in the middle and could easily be killed off by an ARM version of Windows.

12. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

@Evildead666
    yep.. .though its not plugged in right now - anyone got a copy of zarch about?

@Gareth Halfacree... NICE!!!

13. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

I love how everyone's jumping on this and going "ARM WINDOWS 7 OMG!!!", and completely forgetting Windows Phone, Windows Embedded, Zune, and the other Microsoft Hardware arms that run on ARM. Perhaps this is a sign that MS is going to make their own reference phone for Windows Phone, or maybe they're thinking beyond the Zune HD. Or, considering that the XBox 360 runs on a triple-core PowerPC processor (RISC) already, perhaps they're working with ARM for something for their XBox 720. Maybe Kinect is running with an ARM processor to do the limb detection and the like. Pretty sure Windows 7 ARM is not on the cards. No more than a resurrection of Windows NT for MIPS, Alpha or PowerPC is on the cards.

I wonder if the X360 kernel came from the remains of NT4.0 for PowerPC? Food for thought...

14. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Archimedes, now that is a blast from the past indeed! Those beasts were stonkingly fast and also used to come with a PC emulator as I recall :eek:) It was also the first machine that got me i to wanting to run video on my lowly Amstrad PC1512 with it's multitude of 4 colours from a palette of 16. My how things have come a long way since those bygone days...

I think having a new CPU ARM's race can only be a good thing and whatever they bring to the table in future products will hopefully be good for the consumer too.

15. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I vote for a new version of Windows CE, but who knows.

16. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

just another way to stay competitive.. levick might have a point about atom though

17. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

LMFAO!!!!!

Clever? WindowsPhone7 hasn't even been released yet. What a f**king joke. If I were a MS shareholder I'd be well pissed and calling for Balmer to be given the "mother-of-all" enemas. Under his stewardship, we've witnessed the stillbirth of Vista, IE becoming an irrelevance and now WP7 looks like it'll arrive at the orgy after everyone else is already shagged-out.

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

come on ARM!

19. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

Now I feel depressed. It's just M$/Balmer trying to squash the Open Source powered netbooks and smartphones... Throw enough money at a product and people will be forced to use it...

20. jamie_macdonald

jamie_macdonald What's a Dremel?

I don't think you know the meaning of the word "clever" and if you do it's a case of knopwing but not "taking it on board" :p

I enjoyed vista and had no problems, i also chose new hardware to go with vista .. old pc's and vista didnt mix and it was intended to be for newer multithreaded devices with plenty of ram and grunt ...it did as intended, and it did it well, Win7 also has all the same problems vista had, albeit a little more responsive :p

I still use IE too, i like firefox and all the others but IE came with my windows and works with everything anyway (i know it leaves little desire for a developer using CSS though ehe).

Not really caring about winmobile7 as i will be firmly with the Meego,Maemo camp for mobile devices for the forseeable future ...

..So in short, jsut because you do not like them, and had problems with them, it does not mean everyone else is in the same boat ...you mus "hold you PC wrong" maybe? :p

Nice to see that ARM will have some further support in future, they do deserve it for their hard work over the years ^^

Tags: Add Tags