1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards mobo failing? To upgrade or not

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blinkieleblind, 8 Dec 2015.

1. blinkieleblind

blinkieleblind Tings and such

I am currently running the build in my signature however I have been having some issues with the Mobo. Occasionally one of my drives disconnects and is not recognised by the mobo. This has happened mid usage and has so far not caused any corruption. Now this is a very rare occurrence and I tried to diagnose it by switching drives around and also buying new SATA cables. Following this I am pretty sure that some of the SATA ports on the mobo are occasionally failing.

To add to this the rubber grips on my Be Quiet! cooler have also broken leading me to purchase the H100i GT recently when it was on offer as well as a Samsung 850 EVO 1TB for a price I could not say no too. so I have a bit of an upgrade bug now....

My dilemma is this. I do not see a real need to upgrade my cpu at the moment however with the sata ports failing I would need to upgrade the mobo. I also don't want to spend money on an 1155 mobo that is outdated which means I would need to upgrade the whole system to skylake (that's what I would do if I upgrade). This would also give me access to more sata 3 ports (GD53 only has 2) allowing me to raid 0 my two 128GB SSD for OS. So do I take the plunge and do a full skylake upgrade for a 15-20% performance increase or do I wait for the next iteration of CPUs and hope this rare occurrence remains rare? Money is not really an issue but I just don't want to throw it away!!

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Is your motherboard B3 was it? IE - is it one of the very early ones that apparently had SATA issues?

I would try and find a half decent replacement and just leave the rig as it is.

3. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

As mentioned if you dont have a b3 stepping version of the board I believe there is a known issue with the Sata 3 ports degrading over time. However as I understood it SATA 2 ports are fine.

So if I have it right (rarely) your options are in order of least costly to most costly:

1) Stop using the SATA 3 ports, and just use the SATA2 ones
    2) Buy a SATA3 card and slot that in and have your disks running from there.
    3) Try and source a replacement mobo to run the same setup
    4) Upgrade everything

Most of us here are of the opinion that there are currently no major advantages to upgrade to intels current platform, given that the i5 / i7 second gen is a still a pretty strong CPU.

4. blinkieleblind

It was the updated B3 stepping board I believe, but thanks for reminding me of that problem I will double check. Had not even considered a SATA 3 card and that is a great idea. Thanks for the advice.

5. blinkieleblind

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

IMO buying a SATA 3 card is unnecessary - is the difference between SATA 2 and SATA 3 so great that you will notice the difference in everyday use? Not really, especially if you are going down the RAID 0 route.

My current mobo (which I'm also looking to "upgrade" soon) doesn't have SATA 3 but it does have USB3, which is far more important to me because of portable storage and backup. Similar to you, I'm still on first gen i7 hardware and I want to keep it going for as long as I can because it still packs a punch, especially with hex core CPUs being so accessible now.

8. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

I'm pretty sure that most modern cards now a days have boot support.

As Lenny suggests the real world difference between sata2 /sata 3 would be pretty small, so if I were in your shoes I'd personally be opting to stick with option 1. Then again I'm uber tight too.

I only just retired my 1366 x5650 setup but only because I couldn't find an matx I was happy with, if I could have found the right case it would have stayed.