1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Corsair HX1000 Modification - Fully modular & fixing deffekt psu [Update 14 JAN]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by KoSoVaR^, 30 Dec 2012.

1. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

Introduction:
    Now that I've had some time off and no sleevework had not fallen in a while I began to get very restless. I sat one evening and cleaned up in the office and in the middle of all the misery as I caught sight of his brother's old faithful Corsair HX1000 powersupply.
    This powersupply just died on night after some ( my twin brother PSU (ReDoZz @ SweClockers, Bit-Tech) ) and we have not got it to work since then.
    I suddenly had a brainwave about something that me and a good sleevebuddy had discussed about a while ago and I decided to take our theories into practice.

Theory:
    Our problem was how to get the perfect bended bow and composed cables for a powersupply when sleeving it, this applies to the most powersupplies available out there in the market and this list covers:
    - Semimodular powersupplies
    - Powersupplies with special connectors for special 24pins ATX cable
    - Powersupplies with a lot Y-cabling

Method:
    Even if you do this in the traditional way so the end result will not be perfect.
    I do not think this is the best way to get it perfect, but it is something that you have to take and talk to the producers about in that case.
    This is a way to improve the look and functionality of some ways and therefore I have decided to show you what I've done and how I came to do it.
    A great advantage of this method is ... except that you get a perfectly composed and finely curved sleeved cable is that it makes it easier for yourself when changing color theme or other plans for new projects, etc.
    I also found out (i hope that was the problem) why the powersupply just died, and i will fix that aswell, maybe the powersupply can be used again after all !

I hope you enjoy reading
    With friendly greetings
    / Venhar
    KosovarMods

Last edited: 14 Jan 2013
  2. KoSoVaR^

The Powersuppliy's ground state:

Less fun then shrink tubing has released in many places, it was time for a change

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. KoSoVaR^

Today started to open the PSU so that i can take a closer look at it, but also to clean up the under the hard shell.
    I also need to fix some Y-Cables and blow all over the place with the compressor.

The screws are removed and the warranty went to hell, hehe :dremel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lid is off and so is the fan, it will be replaced with a Corsair AF140 later on

[​IMG]

As you can see, a lot out of dust ... and components

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In order to sort and divide the cables into four groups I first had to remove all the old sleeve (Djungelapa XS Grey & Aquamarine with associated heatshrink tubing, which can actually be given away otherwise it will be thrown in the bin)

[​IMG]

When i fiished the task I cut the cables in the size I wanted them and sorted them in the four different groups

[​IMG]

Now it's time to tackle the dust!

Started by disconnecting the two phases but also the earth from the circuit board and chassis

[​IMG]

Also the multi-protection circuit has been put away

[​IMG]

Two strong electricshocks later, the main circuitboard is ready to taken out from its case ( I should not have tested the PSU before I started dismantling it)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Went down the stairs to the workshop, turned on the compressor and began to blow the dust away ...
    Can happily say that it became clean as from factory, cleaned the fan even though it should be replaced later, can be good to have at the time of testing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was looking for my soldering station but did not find it, i didnt find the solder gear either so had to go down to the garage and take what was there, a biltema soldering iron and some random solder... it couldt get worseI didnt have solderpaste either and the result was not good at all, was too bulky :/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last but not least, heatshrink tubing!

[​IMG]

That's all for this time,
    Tonight I am about to present the winner of my Facebook contest at New Years Eve... Do not forget to check it out guys!
    Facebook - KosovarMods

Happy new year to you all!
    Best Regards
    /Venhar Bara
    KosovarMods

TheGreatSatan likes this.
  4. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

I admire your balls for going that deep into the PSU dude :)

5. KoSoVaR^

Thanks, dude :clap:
    I think that this is fun to do :dremel:

6. iSw3de

iSw3de What's a Dremel?

Hey my friend from sweden :p
    In your post you said the "warranty went to hell", so if it wasn't working, why didn't you take it on the warrant? :p

7. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Going balls deep into a PSU isnt that big of a deal, but i would agree its not for the faint of heart or people who do not know about soldering or electronics.

Heres one where i soldered two 6-pin GPU cables internally because i wanted them hardwired

[​IMG]

Keep going Kosovar^ :)

8. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

And kosovar is the winner of:
    THE 2012 BRASS BALLS AWARD
    :hehe: :rock:

9. KoSoVaR^

Helluuw :)
    Yeah, practically it had waranty left, but it stopped working one day...
    Naah this was only a demonstration project from the begining but it developed later on to also find the problem...

Thats right :)
    But if my teacher would have seen those solders he would had killed you xD
    I hardsoldered 1extra 6pin and a 8pin EPS on my SFX psu also, i changed the capacitor to a stronger one at the same time, it peaks to 450 instead of 350w now :) (Bequiet 350 SFX)

Thanks dude!

Hehe, yeeeey :D!

Thank you dude

10. siliconfanatic

A simple capacitor can make that much difference? Without more serious modification. I can tell you couldnt, say, go up to 1000 watt, that would reqire thicker circuitry etc. But still, 100 watts with a simple capacitor. Hot dang. God i wish theyd teach me faster or i could make myself a curriculum cause school is just too darn slow. Maybe if those slackers would just--- i think i should stop before i rant... either way good work fella! :dremel:

11. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

Yeah, if the silicon isn't up to it swapping out the primary cap isn't going to do squat for upping the capacity. There's a whole list of components I would worry about before messing with the primary cap: bridge rectifier, PFC, main switchers, transformer, secondary rectifiers/mosfets. Plus OCP or OPP would hopefully kick in long before you hit 450W.

And not to be negative, but if you've already shocked yourself twice you really need to think again about modding PSUs. Bleeder resistors are a good idea if the PSU has been powered on recently. Also, that PSU has a unique design in that it has two separate 12V sources and it's important that they stay separate or you get feedback issues. It's actually two PSUs in one housing, one does one 12V rail and the 5V and the other supplies a second 12V rail and the 3.3V. So be careful you don't splice the two 12V rails together.

12. KoSoVaR^

The thing is that, the Bequiet SFX 350w, and the Siverstone 450w is made by the same manufactor, they are all the same when it comes to the PCB and the inner components, the same rail setup and everything else, i have both PSU's i i cant see the diferences , the diference is the bigger cap , changed transformators, and rewired the spools... that is what i know that my buddy has fixed (visual changes) as he had the psu in the school for a graduate exam, he might had done more to it which i dont know but it works perfect. It peaks almost the same as the Silverstone SFX but with smaller marginals(435w)...which is good as for what he did.

Check this out :)
    Be-Quiet 350w SFX (this is from my build chocolate temptation)
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=211895
    [​IMG]

Silverstone 450w SFX
    http://ksstudios.com/silverstone-sfx-series-st45sf-450w-small-form-factor-psu (review)
    [​IMG]

Do you see the diferences?
    But heeey, lets go over to the actual project dudes :read:
    Yeah i got some shocks, but it was only because i was clumsy and in a hurry, there werent that bad, they were like a little static shock.
    Yeah know dude, should have bleed them properly, was in a hurry so couldnt wait.

I have worked alot with PSU's before, but not changing the caps etc as much but most wire-modifications, sleeving etc :dremel:

I will give you an update tomorrow guys. see you until then :clap:

13. KoSoVaR^

Need to remove this post...how can i do that ??

14. siliconfanatic

dont think you can. neither can mods as ive neeeever seen it happen.

EDit: those psus may look the same but that in no way means they are. did you count every tiny circuit element? the big difference dont have to be visual.

15. KoSoVaR^

I didnt count everything, just the most parts i saw :), The rest did my buddy as he had it in the school for a whole term in for his exam :), He told me yesterday that he did a whole lot to more top it that i dont know, He wants to work with powerssupplies in the future also and hopefully start his own brand... I am helping him with ideas for some concepts, as totaly modular, all black wired cables in 18awg with black wires. Also that the wires should be at least 10cm longer than the regular length, especially for the 8pin EPS... I shouldnt tell too much now ;D

I will update tomorrow guys, see you then!:clap:

16. siliconfanatic

very ambitious. foolish? seems smart enough to avoid that label :D

17. KoSoVaR^

Thats what modding is all about my friend, i have some more to work, and then im on my way to my office for some photos and an the awaited update, see you soon :dremel:

18. KoSoVaR^

Hello everyone!

Today I had some time to do a little more, I also believe that I found the deffekt as why PSU did not work ... And also fixed that (i hope that it was the thief in this problem).

I have also worked on the PSU and here comes what I managed to do so far anyway.
    The day i dustcleaned the powersupply i sat a fair amount of the day by carefully checking the capacitors and all around the circuitboard for some deffects, but I didn't found absolutely nothing at all, when I then pulled the cables to the Y-cable that I soldered earlier backwards I saw this

The cable was towards the heatsink and I guess it shorted out and did not allow the powersupply to start, the posersupply has a kind of circuit breaker to prevent the curcuit from damages.

[​IMG]

I fixed it by applicatin some hot glue and formed it with my finger as soon it had cooled down a bit

[​IMG]

My twinbrother went down and enlarged the hole for the cables :), I also took out my fine U-channel for that perfect finishing touch

[​IMG]

After a short time of play with U-channel, it looked like this ... quite fine if you can ask me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now when that part is finished, I will go over to the cable manufacturing.
    I took out my tools, the raw materials and began to make some cables

[​IMG]

Finished product

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next time i will continue with the cables that i shorted on the powersupply, after that i will start sleeving those and i think my brother wants it Non-shrink sleeved which i dont like that much :(

That's all for this time
    Best Regards
    /Venhar
    Kosovar Mods

Dont forget to like my facebookpage if you now have read the thread and to show your support :)!

siliconfanatic likes this.
  19. OcSurfe

OcSurfe Uber Noob

kudos to you mate,
    first time ive seen anything like this done!

20. KoSoVaR^

Thanks, i will try to make an new update very soon :)