1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell Poweredge 2650 - How many SMPs?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by andyjh, 6 May 2011.

1. andyjh

andyjh The Underdog

Quickie, I have a dell poweredge with dual processors (believe either pentium 3.06 duals or single with HT enabled)

How many SMPs can I run for the config?

2. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

As your server has less than 8 execution units you should run the standard SMP client and let it decide how many threads to run.

3. andyjh

andyjh The Underdog

Just run the plain execulatable by itself, no -smp flags?

4. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

If you're using Linux, then you can't run the SMP client at all, because your CPUs are not 64bit.
    It might work in Windows, but I'd rather let someone else confirm this.

But why would you want to fold on it? Those are single-core, no-HT Pentium4s. The server will draw 200+ Watts and produce 1-1.5k ppd probably. The cheapest computer you can find in shops now has a "Pentium Dualcore" (which is about two generations old) and produces more points while using less than 100W. I know that every bit of folding helps, but that server's production would be at a great cost to you (and the environment). Your choice though. Any contribution to science and our team is appreciated.

5. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Hmm, thinking about it, Chicken76 has a point, it's worth knowing exactly what spec the chips are and how many of them are in the system before choosing how to configure the right folding client.

6. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

I believe he has a couple of these.

7. andyjh

andyjh The Underdog

Almost, I checked them on startup, they're actually 2.8ghz but pretty much the same

Single core / single thread - task manager registers them as 4 cores due to 2 cpus

I think it will do more than 1.5k ppd? Or does the high PPD with SMP purely work because of 64-bit instruction sets?

I get 4.5k ppd doing SMP folding (smp -4) on an athlon x4 640

8. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Hmm, I had a pair of those (they're now in my Xeon museum), and to be honest I'm not sure they'll even complete a modern SMP work unit before the deadline.

While I always like to say 'every little helps' when it comes to folding, in the case of that machine its probably too old to be worthwhile, sorry.

9. andyjh

andyjh The Underdog

That's no problems, it's an old server I use for dev work anyway just thought it would come in useful. I'll stick to dev work / game server :)