1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel announces 44-thread Xeon E5-2699 V4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 1 Apr 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Shouldn't that be 384GB of RAM?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That would make more sense, but Intel definitely said 385. <shrugs shoulders>

I'd guess Intel made a whoopsie, but the Ark entry is rather unhelpful, as it shows only the maximum theoretical rather than the actual "here's how much you can cram onto current boards."

EDIT: Or it's a rounding thing. Either way, I'll edit the piece to say 384GB as that's 12 32GB DIMMs and makes more sense than 385GB.

Last edited: 1 Apr 2016
  4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I find that 145W TDP very hard to believe, considering there are 6-core Haswell-E CPUs at 140W (albeit, at a higher frequency). But, Intel's TDPs have always seemed to be completely made-up. For example:
    A i7-4820K is 3.7GHz and has 4 cores.
    A i7-4930K is 3.4GHz and has 6 cores.
    Both are rated at 130W. I'm pretty sure a 33% increase in cores with a 9% drop in frequency doesn't really add up here.

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Xeon chips have no onboard GPU which helps with lowering TDP.

6. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Well. neither do the CPUs schmidtbag mentioned...

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It's for numerous reasons. Firstly the hex core CPU is binned far higher than the 4820k, hence the massive price difference. Secondly, with the hex core the boost works differently so that only one core will boost to the highest frequency with the rest often running much slower. As an example I have a 8 core Ivy ES rated @ 60w. It boasts a speed of 2.3ghz but when you actually look into it properly only one core boosts to 2.3ghz. Then two cores boost to 2.1ghz and when using all 8 it only boosts to 2ghz.

Of course as soon as you overclock that all goes out of the window.

8. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Ark.intel qoutes "Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type)" at 1536GB

9. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Intel's power usage isn't the actual power that they take to run, but rather the amount of heat dispersed, in watts. ;)

10. Gareth Halfacree

That's actually exactly what the figure is. That's why it's called "thermal design profile" (or variants on that theme, depending on which expansion of TDP you prefer.) You put X watts of power into a computer, you get X-0.001W of heat and a stream of zeroes and ones out.