1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking New pc and new OC challenge

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by antonyand, 5 May 2010.

1. antonyand

antonyand mmm Jaffa Cakes

Hello all,
    Long time reader, but first time posting, eek! Anyways here goes.

Have just managed to purchase some new bits for my new pc. I have had enough of my old x2 3800, dfi expert mobo and XP4000 Mushkin ram. I did have hours, if not days, of fun OC'ing the CPU and ram and now I hope I have the same amount of pleasure outta my new kit.

My old rig:-

X2 3800+ (939)
    DFI expert
    2Gb Redline Mushkin
    8800GTX
    all WC'd inside a armour Jr (spent many an hour fitting it all in):rock:

Here is what I've bought to upgrade:-

i5 750
    Asus p7p55d-e LX (dabs sold me with the deal a few weeks ago)
    4Gb Corsair Memory XMS3 (CMX4GX3M2A1600C8)
    Heatkiller 3.0 LT

So my questions are:-

1. Have i bought well :eyebrow:
    2. Will one 120mm and a dual 120mm rad be enough to cool cpu and gpu( both are almost 50mm thick)
    3. I kept my old cpu below 50C all the time(even at 2.9Ghz it would never go above 50C) what temp should i be looking to stay south of?

I guess that's the main questions for now.

I hope I have bought well as I'm expecting my waterblock tomorrow and then is all hands on deck.

P.S I hope I've got this thread in the right forum :worried:

2. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Upgrades look good!

3. antonyand

Also forgot to add.

I am using 13mm/10mm tubing at the mo. Would it be worth the extra few quid to change to a wider diameter tubing? bear in mind that I will have to change 10 compressions fittings also. So the cost will be around £25 - £35.

Antony

Edit,

Just did a check and cost of 19mm/13mm ubing with compression fittings will cost just shy of £40.
    hmm what to do

Last edited: 6 May 2010
  4. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Anything upto 80C for a CPU is fine. Just bear in mind how the ambient temperatures in your room vary - getting a stable overclock at 80C maximum in the middle of the night in winter isn't a good idea as when summer comes, your temps will rocket. If your room is at around 20C, try to get it to a maximum of 75C - that way during a heatwave and your room is at 25-28C ambient, your CPU stays stable.

5. antonyand

Cheers for that.

On my old pc I had 3 different OC's stored.
    1. for the winter
    2. for spring and autumn
    3 for the slightly warm summers we get!

80C seems very hot. I hope I don't get anywhere near that. Got a lot of reading up to do me thinks before I go for the max OC. My postman didn't bring any goodies today so it look there will be a delay till I'll be arm dead inside my pc (no I'm not a midget, honest).

6. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

100C is redline where the cpu will start throttling and/or shutting down, so by aiming for a max of 80 you have alot of headroom built in. obviously you want to keep temps as low as possible to extend the life of the chip though.

7. antonyand

Wow 100C. What's up with intel? I have been a AMD fan boy for a long time and I refused to jump ship until recently. I've always had cool CPU's and never really worried about temps too much. But 80C and 100C seem mad in my eyes. I think this will prob have a knock on effect to my PU now too. I Hope my two rads have enough cooling capacity as I don't want an external radiator and I really like my little armour Jr.

I will keep you posted on this thread with my OC'ing when the last bits come tomorrow (the postman better bring me a parcel otherwise I'll go mental!)

Oh, any good 1156 overclock guides you guys know about?

8. antonyand

Oops, forgot one more VITAL question.

I have a Seasonic S12 600W PSU. Will this be powerful enough?

I will have 2 HHD's and a fan controller with the included kit in the first post.

(I would have a sig, but my low post count is stopping me at the mo :blush: )

9. antonyand

Waterblock tip!

Last few bits arrived to day, yippee! Finished off the build and have run the pump for 3 hours without a sign of a leak(i know i should leave it a little longer but i can't wait!).

But i had one big problem with the heatkiller 3.0 LT waterblock. I wouldn't seat neatly and then i noticed it was rubbing up against a some capacitors next to the 1156 socket! :wallbash:
    I thought about it and came down to the conclusion that i just needed to shave off a few mm of the waterblock.

Now it sits nicely without touching anything and i ended up only needing to sand down i tiny bit.

Installing win7, now as i type. :clap:

So thats all for now, just thought i'd let anyone who is thinking of getting the Asus P7P55D-E LX and a Heatkiller 3.0 you will have to do some modding to the waterblock. :jawdrop:

10. antonyand

Have read a fair bit about my bios and i understand "most" of it :geek:

But i'm kinda hitting a OC wall. :wallbash:
    I'm at 3.8Ghz and any increase in volts isn't really helping boost Bclk

below is a CPuz screeny

[​IMG]

if you want more bios settings let me know and i'll get them up here.

Temps are only 48C with prime95 on all cores, oh and temp are taken from using Real Temp (version 3.58.4)

Seeing as everyone else (and there dog) are hitting 4Ghz with ease, have i got a poor chip or am i just being a p*ssy with the volts?

Second Edit:

I plan on this OC to be a 24/7 one. My pc isn't always on or always at 100% but when i get a nice OC i will leave it. Unless temps get high in a few months in the summer(if we get one that is)

Last edited: 9 May 2010
  11. Seeks

Seeks Minimodder

Well I am at 4Ghz on air with the i5 750 and my temps are around 70 Degrees so I would be tempted to say your being a little wimpy with the voltage. From what I have read and know you can push the voltage up to 1.5V before it becomes an issue (disclaimer: I am an OCing newb and have not done much this is just what I remember reading). Can for sure put it up higher though I think mine is a 1.32V and as mentioned thats on air

12. antonyand

Yeh thought i wa being a little wimpy, lol.

Just upped it to 1.4 and am running prime now with bclk at 186 and 21X milti.

Temps haven't gone up very much, highest core is 52C now.

dam as i'm writtin this core 1 failed :waah:

back to the drawing board

13. antonyand

i upped the voltage to 1.425 and i also tweaked a few other settings.

Prime96 has been running for 20mins and all good so far (taps wood)

Temps are up to a fair bit now to 63C (only one core has hit that temp tho otehrs are below 60C)
    I think this chip can run with less voltage. just got a few hours of prim95 to sit thro

I'm now not so worried about my temps, since my fans on rads are all running at 500rpm

14. Seeks

Seeks Minimodder

I wouldn't worry about the temperatures really. On my OC the temps were at around 75 while running Prime and I am like you I hate high temperatures so worried a lot. In normal every day to day use they dont top 40 (bar one hot day 2 weeks ago) and when I game the max is around 65 (average below that obviously).

Having said that if you did something that was really CPU heavy such as rendering I guess that could push temperatures higher, but 70 degrees is nothing major to worry about.

15. antonyand

This is random,

With CPU-Z my volts are 1.4 when idle, then under load they drop to 1.376.

Also, sometimes my multi is dropping to 9x

I'm sure i've got all the power saving modes off, C-state, C1E, turbo mode

I'm confused

Edit.

I think i just realised why this is happening. Is it because of CPU TM function???

I think it is and am going to disable it and see if this stops the mutli reduction.

Last edited: 9 May 2010
  16. Seeks

Seeks Minimodder

multiplyer drops due to turbo mode from memory. If that's off it should be fine. Also dont trust those voltage readings anyway not that accurate

17. antonyand

Hopefully my last addition to this thread.

All running ok now, got the vcore down to 1.4125 and seems stable enough for now. Will do a full 12 hours prime test later in the week.

Cheers for the help Seeks

Time for some BFCD2 now

18. antonyand

Back again, lol.

I am stable at 4Ghz now, but i don't think i really need my pc this fast. I am tinkering now with the bios to see if i can run at around 3.8 Ghz with the power saving features turned on.

I know these can cause instability, but i'm sure i read somewhere that they only do that at top end clocks.

So heres my question, what setting in the bios turns off the boost to 24X mutli ?? Because i think if i turn this off then i'll get a more stable pc.

19. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

The setting you are looking to disable is the Intel Turbo Mode Tech.

I've made a BIOS walkthrough for the Rampage III Gene (link)
    The Gene is a bit more tricked out then your board, but it's both Asus, so the core functionality should be the same, and i reckon the video will be usefull to you.

If you want to have speedstep and C1E enabled, 3,8 is rather pushing it, but not impossible for a good sample. The biggest problem is that you have to leave the voltages at Auto, and the board has a tendancy to pick really high ones at those speeds, meaning you are better off just running at 3.8 and the best voltages you can manage for that.

Some more answers:
    - TM function throttles your CPU when it gets too hot, but it shouldn't be doing so below 100 degrees...
    - The drop in vCore is called vDroop, and to fix this you can turn on Load Line Calibration. It will give the CPU a little extra jolt when loaded, meaning you can drop the vCore a bit.

20. antonyand

Cheers for that, i had disabled it before, but i noticed it wouldn't let me have the 21x multi. So i didn't think that was the setting :duh:
    I now know that 20 will be the top multi so i can now work out the max running speed.

I don't have the Vcore set on Auto, i have it on offset and then the offset is 0.15 (i think)
    Is this a good thing? i've only just moved from AMD to intel and i feel like such an overclocking novice.:blush: