1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Long term effects of overclocking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Birdy, 13 Feb 2011.

1. Birdy

Birdy What's a Dremel?

Too cut a long story short, can overclocking lead to a computer having a shorter life? I am asking this because I am building a pc for someone and it will be expected to last a long time - around ten years - the person still uses an pentium 4 machine ;). By this I don't mean a big overclock, and the cooling would be good.
    Thanks,

Birdy

2. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

I'm pretty sure as long as it is running within the max parameters given my intel it'll be fine. I mean like voltages etc..

3. warejon9

warejon9 What's a Dremel?

In short overclocking will cause a CPU to have a shorter life expectancy, however if you cool it well and keep within limits it should be fine :) Also it depends why your overclocking, if they've had a system that long i'm guessing its just for office stuff, so no point?

4. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Basically here's what will happen, Just say for argument sake a CPU has a 10 year life expectancy running at stock speeds, overclocking may well reduce this by 3 years. That will reduce the life span to about 7 years. But I would have thought that 90% of people will have upgraded way before then anyway, so it's probably not something to worry about to much.

As Boscoe says, as long as everything is kept with in the correct parameters it'll all be fine.

5. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

If you keep the voltages reasonable, and everything well cooled (under 65C is a good target) theres no reason why a computer should ever just die on you. I find that abuse (more applicable to laptops) and simple things like letting dust build up or not using a surge bar will kill a computer long before a modest OC ever will.

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I've had mine overclocked @ 3.4GHz for 3+ years, and it's still going strong...

7. Birdy

Birdy What's a Dremel?

It is for film editing... I personally do not understand how he puts up with the system he uses at the moment. If the the next gen of AMD can be used with an AM3 motherboard then it may not have to last that long, but it is better not to make assumptions.

8. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

had my E6600 at 3.4Ghz from 2.4Ghz for about 2 years... burnout has it now, still going strong from what i know.

My i7 has been running at 4Ghz solid for round a year now. With no problems at all.

Will be upgrading some time 2012 if we arnt all dead.

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Difficult to say...

I just had a motherboard fail on me - I think a capacitor failed or something, either way, it made a little smoke. Was overclocking the cause of it? To be honest, I don't know. All voltages were within manufacturer's limits, as were temperatures :sigh: .

If you're really worried about it, I'd not bother changing any voltages and see how much of an overclock you get on that.

10. danielleil

danielleil Can't stop spending...

If I were building something that would be expected to last that long, then I would see how far I could overclock on stock volts.

I'm running a test on an old LGA775 rig which I have at 4.1GHz with 1.6v going through an E7300 cpu. See http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=198200

It's been running now since November without problems.

Us overclockers never keep our hardware long enough to really find out about long term use. My old E6700 which was overclocked from day 1 (nearly 4 years ago?) is still overclocked and still going strong in my parents PC. Only 1.35v going through that though.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Depends on chip and voltage

If your pushing 1.4v you will cause dmg no dout about it

If your pushing 1.25v then it will last forever

Psu usually goes before anything else, motherboard and hdds are a close 2nd.