1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics PC outputs nothing to screen with either onboard or discreet GPU.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Timmy_the_tortoise, 25 Aug 2012.

1. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Okay, so a couple of months ago, I packed my PC up to go into storage before moving house. During which, I opened it up to get rid of some dust since it had been a while since I last did so.

At one point, I dropped a screw inside, and it even went underneath the motherboard... afterwhich I realized I had left the PSU on! I switched it off, and used a paper towel to clean dust off the CPU heatsink... and maybe a little off the PCB.

Now, after 2 months in storage, I have reconnected my PC and I am getting no video output. I have tried both GPU outputs, I have tried the motherboard output with the discreet GPU plugged in and with the discreet GPU taken out. I can hear the HDD being accessed, so I know that at least some of the Motherboard and the CPU must be working.

Has anyone heard of a similar problem? Does anyone have an idea what it might be? I think it's something around the northbridge of the motherboard, but I'm not sure.

Sorry, specs are in my sig.

EDIT: fixed. One of my RAM sticks had died. Didn't consider that possibility until somebody told me it happened to them.

Last edited: 25 Aug 2012
  2. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

Ha, was just about to say that ram would most likely be at fault if the pc is working otherwise, glad you got it sorted :)