1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Molyneux: Facebook is changing PC gaming

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Mar 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Sadly I agree. They (facebook gaming company's) are making a lot of money. And how much coding is involved in farmville compared to crysis?
    Sadly for me, I would rather play crysis...

On a side note, I think Peter says random things until he gets something right. Or at least one person agrees with him...

3. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Which reminds me; I really need to get the name of Molyneux's pharmacist.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Facebook games were all about targeted advertising and harvesting user's details, (then selling them on to even more advertising companies.)

4. theflatworm

theflatworm Gordon Freeman's Crowbar

If facebook flash games are the the future, I'm buying myself a sega master-system right now, just to get ahead of the curve.

5. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

HAHA! You're right about Molyneux, he runs the percentage game!

As much as I hate it, PC gaming is becoming popular again, but not the games i'm interested in (HL2:Ep3 on facebook anyone?)

6. theflatworm

theflatworm Gordon Freeman's Crowbar

Invite 50 'friends' to gain the crowbar. Post 5000 bits of annoying junk on your own wall to deploy grav gun. Post 10,000 bits of annoying junk on other people's wall to... rinse, repeat.

Sadly, I was actually addicted to Mafia Wars for a little while. And I played Farmville *hangs head in shame*.

7. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Zynga, poor games for people who are at work and bored.
    Natal, a late attempt to cash in on the Wii's turf, with most Wii's now in the corner gathering dust.

8. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

Haha yeah... =\ Since when did games like farmville appeal to the true PC gaming audience. Farmville is just for the casual gaming market where the definition of fun comes from mindless straight forward and time consuming clicking where no one wins or loses but just gets their farm or fish all pretty and then demands more of your time to keep it that way. Casual games like that are just cheap and simple and as evidenced easily mass produced.

It amuses me seeing a casual gaming audience. "Ooo look at my experience it's more than yours haha!!! OWNED!!" hm. Okay, shows you've wasted more time on a process that you have gained nothing. You don't need to learn the game, you cant win, you cant lose, it doesn't make you think. Try a bit of starcraft and see you get your arse kicked, bit of Quake Live. Oh wait you don't like it, because everything has to be given to you on a plate. Or if you call flash games a PC game then play some real retro games like tetris, asteroids or what ever. -,-...

9. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

I wouldn't call it reborn, just recycled to the casual social network.
    Farmville = Viva Pinata
    Mafia Wars = Gangland

Sadly I don't finding it to be cutting edge. More like a 180 turn back to the past (Retro gaming).

10. knuck

knuck Hate your face

farmville is NOT gaming, period.

I hate how everyone refers to any kind of crappy game as "gaming". The real gaming is hardcore. Right as I am typing this, my Zune shuffled to the boss song of MegaMan III to remind me what real hardcore gaming is (mostly was)

"iPhone/CellPhones/mp3Players/facebook/flashInGeneral" games areNOT gaming, they are merely a way to kill 2minutes before you get bored of the damn thing

11. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Agrees ^

I don't think we should confuse 'PC gaming' with 'browser gaming'. You might use a browser largely on a PC, but that is where the similarity stops. The Zynga offerings are purely for browsers and are nothing more than tea-break pastimes.

12. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Biggest problems with these games are they're on facebook..........im not. Id rather keep my soul thankyou

13. Boxcarr

Boxcarr Will use any tool available.

Desktop defender is on facebook now... not quite as good as the original but its still fun to blow stuff up.

( & plants vs. zombies is a flash game if i'm not mistaken)

14. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I know why can't facebook users entertain themselves with videos from break or youtube like they used to.. zygna stole that game strait up from farm town

half my family on facebook plays mafia wars.. booooo actually facebook could be the new steam if they were smart- it's basically untapped and you see what little games they've got people who like solitair and minefield are all into it

15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Yet more crap dribbling from Captain Molyneuxs mouth.

Nothing new, nothing surprising, and nothing to take note of. He can go be a jabbering idiot elsewhere.

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

QFT.

any facebook game is just a simple flash game, would people call miniclip's flash games PC gaming?

and well said on portable gaming, apart from a few exceptions, gaming on those small devices are just minute wasters.
    (excepting being well ported games such as Peggle and Plants vs Zombies)

17. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

This guy is an idiot, don't mean to sound harsh, but Ican't remember another dev that everytime he speaks it is total rubbish. Farmville, facebook is not Pc gaming in the least, they are simple time wasters, no different then the plethora of web based games that have been around for years.

18. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

well lets hope he starts making facebook games and leaves the lot of us the **** alone.

19. s3v3n

s3v3n MMO Cold Turkey -fail

He seems like a guy who tries real hard to convince other ( and maybe himself) that he thinks outside of the box. Change for the sake of change gives you ADD.

20. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Molyneux needs a big slice of STFU cake...

Tags: Add Tags