1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware LG IPS236V Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 21 Aug 2011.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Oh no! You've commended them on L.E.D backlighting.

Prepare for the onslaught.

3. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Seriously is this Bit-Tech full review on this IPS? Need more details. And don't get me started on L.E.D. Disappointing:sigh:

4. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

External Power brick and no mention if monitor uses 12V ??? Think this is a very important question. Just think where do we use 12V power.........

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

How can a highly respected modding and computer hardware website of Bit Tech's calibre consistently produce such truly diabolical monitor reviews? I appreciate that this is a budget monitor, but even high end monitors you review get the same treatment: Cosmetic appraisal, list of features, and a purely subjective opinion on quality, lightly peppered with a few comments on viewing angle. Seriously... compare this review to those on GPUs, CPUs and other peripherals. Where are the facts and figures.. where is the TESTING!!! Where are the black level figures, TRUE contrast figures, Delta E figures of the out of the box configuration, and after calibrating. The only thing you ever test with any robust, scientific methodology is response time. Is that all you care about?

Like I said, I know it's a budget monitor, but even those on a budget would like to know details.

Why bother even reviewing screens if you're just going to do a half assed job? I really don't like saying anything negative about Bit, but I'm afraid when it comes to reviewing screens.... you suck.

6. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

EDIT: I'm sick of moaning about B-T quality now.

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

For example....

Ok.. so what WAS the gamma level measured at to start with? What was it after you adjusted it? If the only way to get a decent black level is to run at the WRONG gamma, then it's a crap screen. Gamma NEEDS to be a 2.2.. you can't just set it at random until it looks OK, as the black level may be nicer after adjustment, but what result did that have at the top end, or midrange... what happened to the banding and dithering (common problem with wide gamma adjustments with 6 and 8 bit panels)? There's a point: IS it a 6 or 8 bit panel? LOL You neglected to mention that.

Was this review written by someone who actually know what they're doing?

:duh:

According to the staff roster, Clive Webster is the resident monitor guru.. so why get Bit's expert on modding and water cooling to write the review? Oh well... it's only a monitor, right?

Last edited: 21 Aug 2011
  8. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

Also, there's a version of this monitor with a better stand and internal power supply (the IPS231P), which costs the same. Bonus: a monitor revew done properly.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  9. Bede

Bede Minimodder

That really is a review done well. I don't think bit-tech should be doing reviews of monitors, they don't seem to have the equipment or expertise to do it as well as their other hardware reviews.

10. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Lame review is lame

11. steve30x

steve30x What's a Dremel?

12. steve30x

Thats a different monitor. It doesnt even have hdmi input.

13. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Woah there!

For years bit-tech has used a subjective approach to screen reviews, with standard tests such as Lagom, test images and so on to compare the image quality of every screen we test and review. We've played with calibrators and analysis tools in the past but found them to be misleading in the results they give.

The ViewSonic mentioned in this review is a good example - on paper the screen isn't anything like as impressive as it is to the human eye. So, while using a calibrator and other tools might prove that we've done tests, the numbers can often not only add no value to the analysis, but occasionally confuse and mislead the reader.

We still think the best way to judge a screen is by using it, looking at it, tweaking it and reporting what it looks like to the human eye.

For discussion on what you'd like to see from a bit-tech screen review, please post here:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=215232

This thread should be more focused on the LG screen of the review.

Thanks, and looking forward to your constructive feedback.

14. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

The problem is claave the monitor reviews are getting shorter, and shorter now they're 1 page.......

15. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

16. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

They make two versions of what is effectively the same monitor. The one Bit-Tech reviewed is the 'consumer' model which has an HDMI port and a basic stand, but I get the feeling more people here would appreciate the business-oriented model, with a better stand and no need for another power brick. The image quality etc. should be the same in both cases. Edit: there's a third model as well, the (smaller) IPS226V. Seems to be going for less than £130, which is pretty amazing for a 1920x1080 IPS monitor.

Last edited: 21 Aug 2011
  17. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

that tft central review is really informative.. they have gaming tests for responsiveness- any fps gamer would probably want to know this stuff

18. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Heh,

Yes the monitor reviews are unscientific and no good for selecting a monitor when used on their own.

The part about fiddling with the gamma till it looked good was particularly awful, as pookeyhead pointed out. I have been researching monitors for a couple of weeks (getting new one soon) and even I know this is a huge no no. To hear this in a tech site review is cringing.

On the other hand, it is nice to have a subjective review to go along with the scientific ones on sites such as TFT Central.

Bit Tech provide a sort of "man down the pub" review of monitors which is actually quite nice to supplement reviews on other sites - which I feel sometimes lack a subjective element.

And Claave is right about using calibrators. Bit Tech are not monitor or calibration experts so if they try to do this it will probably be inaccurate and misleading. Probably is better they leave this to the professionals and stick with the subjective approach.

They give the sort of review a normal punter might give - what it looks like taking it out of the box, does it look cool on the desk, does it wobble around, does it have a "wow" factor at factory settings. This is quite helpful as long as you also look at other reviews too.

I think we know the team and we know what their strengths are. I would happily buy a motherboard or PSU based upon nothing but a Bit Tech review. Monitors obviously aren't their thing.

19. steve30x

I would rather have a monitor with HDMI to use my Xbox360 and PS3 on it. The adjustability shouldnt really matter , because if you want to adjust the height of the monitor then you will always find a way to make the screen higher. My monitor has height adjustable and I never use the height adjustment. Its always at its lowest height , because its better for your eyes.

20. loftie

loftie Multimodder

The problem with monitors, and even sound devices, is that it IS subjective. If at the end of the day the monitor on the box says 'Best Monitor in the world!' and it has the stats to back it up, if it looks like a pile of crap to you, then it's a pile of crap.

If you're interested in a new monitor, go out and have a look at them, it's the only way.

Tags: Add Tags