1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Restore

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Skeng, 16 Jun 2011.

1. Skeng

Skeng Water Cometh!

PROJECT RESTORE

Well I was searching through my storage today and guess what I came Across...

[​IMG]

That's right you've got it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's right my old Coolermaster Cosmos S.

So basically this project is all down to restoring my old Coolermaster Cosmos S I have owned this case for only around
    2 years now and it's in pretty bad shape. Although I can happily say non of the blame should be on me. It all comes
    down to the previous owner, you see I originally bought this case from ebay but the description was of poor quality.
    It listed that the case had a few "very minor scratched" although this was a huge understatement in my opinion. Anyway
    enough of that time to move on.

What will be done?
    I'm planing on doing a black respray of the inner case and doing a glossy black respray of the bars at the top and bottom
    of the case. Then I would like to possibly respray the aluminium side panels although I'm not too sure yet as this has a
    brushed aluminium effect. And finally I will respray the silver plastic part's this will be either black or a bright orange as I
    have not yet decided. :p Oh and finally fix the hinges on the doors at the front as they will not close properly.

Anyway keep watching the thread as I will be updating it in the following week's and here's a few more pictures for your amusement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Warsmith

Warsmith Enginseer

Minor scratches??? Looks like an alligator used it for a chew toy. Gonna be nice to see if get fixed up.

3. Shael

Shael What's a Dremel?

Of someones pet tiger has used it as a scratching post :rolleyes: minor scratches....yeah right:nono:

Looking forward to seeing how clean this baby up:thumb:

4. Skeng

Skeng Water Cometh!

UPDATE: 17/6/2011

Only a small update tonight I've just started to prep the case for the paint job.

[​IMG]

Armed with the most advanced technology around!

[​IMG]

24bit sound action! (Warning only to be used by pro's!)

[​IMG]

Anyway getting the plastic edges off were a nightmare. It must have taken me a good hour or so just to get the first one off without damaging anything.

[​IMG]

And finally It was done, with minimum damage :p

I will be buying the paint tomorrow and removing the pop rivets, as I don't posses a drill I'm going to have to do it the good old fashion way. With a Philips screw driver and hammer.

Painting will most likely be started on Monday depending on the weather. =]

5. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

good luck, will be watching. least you got it pieces ok

6. Richardbmx

Richardbmx What's a Dremel?

this modd is interesting ... I always liked the cosmos ... a good case with lots of potential for modding ... forward progress ... greetings.

7. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

I found a flat head better for taking out rivets but whatever works for you.

8. Skeng

Skeng Water Cometh!

UPDATE: 20/6/2011

Coming at ya with another update!

So I was tooling up for the rivet removal.

[​IMG]

It turns out I could get my hand's on a drill.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I built up quite a collection of rivets, but in the end it was a great success.

[​IMG]

Also I managed to pick up some sandpaper, so depending on how nice it is outside tomorrow I might start sanding ready for when my primer and paint arrives from Amazon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Skeng

Skeng Water Cometh!

UPDATE: 23/06/2011

Well It finally came the primer is here the only issue is I was having a nice little sleepy sleepy snoozy snooze when the postman came this morning and missed him. So I'll have to collect my paint tomorrow morning and hopefully if it's a good day I'll be spraying tomorrow. :D

[​IMG]

10. Skeng

Skeng Water Cometh!

UPDATE: 29/06/2011

Bish Bash Bosh! I'm out of paint...

Yeah so the base coat of primer went pretty good other than the fact I didn't buy enough of it. I've never handled spray paint before but I was pretty impressed with my "Mad spraying skills". :p

Anyway back to the tale of no paint, I ran out just over half way through the job a few panels need a small amount of touch up's and as for the rest it's all looking fine and dandy.

Anyway picture time :D

As you can see in this image the low level light really adds a sense of alone...ness and the water adds a feeling of damp...ness. :p Only joking I took this picture before my computer went "CAPUTS!" to show the miserable weather that had been holding back the spraying, I found it still on my phone and though "meh" I'll upload it anyway.

[​IMG]

Real picture time, check out my "GHETTO" painting setup...

[​IMG]

This is a panel that went "well".

[​IMG]

Then eventually I ran out of paint ^^

[​IMG]

Anywho I've ordered some more and hopefully I should be sanding down any drips or excess paint I slapped on.

Stay tuned ^^

-Skeng-

11. Skeng

Skeng Water Cometh!

UPDATE: 30/06/2011

Well it's not really a update I just thought I'd show a few pictures of the panels after they had dried. These are a few of the panels I'm not going to lie I couldnt be bothered to drag them all out and take pictures of each :p
    Just need a few touch-ups on one or two of the panels and some areas could use some sanding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"DAT Finish!"
    [​IMG]

12. Skeng

Skeng Water Cometh!

UPDATE: 11/07/2011

Another Big Update today folks. So today I retouched and sprayed some panels still on the primer stages but like 95% done now. Anyway pictures are more fun than words so let's begin!

Well today was a wonderful day very hot and sunny weather, before I could start painting I first had to make myself a snack.

In 1941 the japanese bombed pearl harbour...
    In 1969 man first landed on the moon...
    in 2001 George Bush was elected president...

and in 2011 I made a damn tasty sandwich...
    [​IMG]

Anyway to business, Apart from touch-ups and that panel I half sprayed this is all I had left.

[​IMG]

As you can see I needed to remove the remnants of crap left over from the rubber that was stuck to this piece which absorbs vibrations from the PSU.

[​IMG]

I would also need to sand these bar's down.

[​IMG]

So that's just what I did.

[​IMG]

I then left my primer to soak in warm water whilst I set up the spraying area.

[​IMG]

BAM! retouched this panel.

[​IMG]

KACHOW! then finished the other side of this panel.

[​IMG]

Before...

[​IMG]

After :D

[​IMG]

Then I sprayed these bad boys!

[​IMG]

The only issue I have left and the reason I am still 95% through the primer stage is due to the bar's not being able to stand up properly. I could only spray one side successful. So tomorrow I'm going to pick up some string and tie them to my washing line this way I can get the job done without the paint rubbing off. Secondly the square thing which had all that crap on it. Well that crap is damn hard to get off! It wont sand off and a knife didn't help much either. Fortunately I managed to scratch about 80% of it off after soaking it for a long ass time in hot water.

Anyway tomorrow agenda buy string, scrape the rest of that crap off the square PSU holder majiger and finish up priming. :D

So until then stay tuned ;)

-SKENG-

13. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo What's a Dremel?

this case is coming along fine and all ... but tell use more about the sandwich. Now I'm hungry. *grump* :naughty:

Nice progress, More mod pictures!

14. LatinSpirit

LatinSpirit Minimodder

Nice to see more Cosmos (Cosmoses? Cosmi? :D ) being restored.....looking forward to your progress. All the best :thumb:

15. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Looking good. you can't go wrong with those cases, the chassis is bomb proof.

16. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

The sandwich looks like heavy's sandvich from TF2- om nom nom, nom:p
    I'd like to see more of this, nice start.

17. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

its nice to see a restoration as a mod, sommit a bit different

18. Skeng

Skeng Water Cometh!

UPDATE: 30/07/2011

This weekend, THIS WEEKEND!

UPDATE CENTRAL!

Yes! this weekend, S**t is getting done and I mean it this time. Too much time has been spent dilly dallying. So anyway back on track. priming is 100% done YAY and since I have nothing on all day tomorrow I'll be spending the entire day wet/dry sanding then spraying all the panel's black. As far as today goes I have a sneak peak for you all.

TADA! Nice glossy panel's
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do enjoy how much this paint reflects :D
    [​IMG]

But damn does this paint like's to drip, I'll be sanding these off tomorrow also this picture guest star's me :D
    [​IMG]

Well here are a few design's I've put together would much appreciate some feedback on which people like better personally I cant decide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stay Frosty

-SKENG-

19. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Well, I think the white looks a lot like the stock case, and the black is too plain. I don't like the orange.

For me it's between white or black.

20. ColdzeroTeam

ColdzeroTeam What's a Dremel?

that looks more like dark yellow to me. but... i have to say, orange is a nice colour ;)
    Go for it :p