1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other "Random" Power Outtages

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by DLDeadbolt, 21 Jan 2013.

1. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Hey Folks.

For the past month or so (since before Xmas) my PC has been randomly shutting down.
    By that I mean as if someone turned off power at the wall socket.

At first I thought it was something overheating since the graphics card tends to get rather warm, but that has been rather inconsistant with the power outage. For the past week or so I've been checking every parts connection and temp when it shuts down, and there is nothing wrong that I can see (heck, last night all the parts were cool to the touch after being on for a few hours).

Nothing is overclocked, its all set at store settings (pre-buy build). The only new parts in the past 6 months are 2 extra sticks of ram, but they are the exact same make and model as the other 2.

Any ideas on what might be the problem, what tests I can run, etc?

*Also, the only time (that I can recall) that this has happened is late evening to after midnight... don't recall this happening at all during the day.

I have run multiple scnas for viruses but they haven't picked anything up (MSE, Malwarebytes, and 1 other I can't recall the name of).

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

First thoughts would be a PSU problem - what make / wattage is it? Also, what are your specs? Have you tried removing the new ram as that could be the issue if it's duff... Where did you buy the PC from - do they not offer support?

GK

3. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Specs:
    CPU / Processor:INTEL i5 750@2.67GHz 3.81gGhz
    CPU CoolerCOOLERMASTER 212+
    Motherboard:ASUS i5 P7P550 LE
    Memory:Corsair XMS3 2 x 2GB (Now 4x2GB)
    Hard Drive(s):750GB SATA; WD Caviar Black 2TB x 2
    Graphics:ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB
    CaseSILVERSTONE PS02 CASE

I'm pretty sure the PSU is a Corsair 850W, not sure of which series (Can't check emails from work so can't check for order details)

I bought it from Yoyotech a little over 3 years ago so it is out of warrantee/guarantee with them, so unless the parts have extended/lifetime warantee with their makers, then no help from them.

It has only shut down once while actually using any games, every other time has been either while idling on desktop or while browsing folders

4. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Change the kettle lead on the PSU. I had a similar problem a few years back and just as random as yours. That was the only part I never checked and it turned out to be what was causing it to die for no apparent reason.

One of the main reasons I never check the lead was that the PSU was still pretty new so I just wrote it out of the equation.