1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GPU Folding under Linux

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by StreetSam, 11 Jun 2013.

1. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

Hi All,

Well just updated another of my folders, and at the same time I thought I'd try Ubuntu 12.04 as the OS.

To be honest I only found two issues; the first was that it wanted to use ipv6 which stopped it connecting to the server that gives out the cores at Stanford and the second was that it wouldn't load the nVidia driver unless a monitor was connected to the card (I was using the Intel gfx in the G2020).

Apart from that it seems to be working as I would expect and it saved a lot of time reloading Windows, and the hassle of getting it re-activated.

EDIT: Argh! it doesn't Fold if you connect the monitor to the integrated graphics, I wonder what happens with two cards?

EDIT2: Argh! I needed to have both cards connected at the initial loading of the driver or it gets very confused. However I believe it is working now.

Last edited: 11 Jun 2013
  2. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

Hi.
    What are the advantages of using Ubuntu over say a Windows XP installation for CPU folding. I have some old AMD X2 and Opteron dual core machines lying idle and I could rig them up for CPU folding if you think that it would be worth the electricity? I've never used any version of Linux before being a Windows man through and through! I keep hearing and reading posts about Ubuntu, so I'm wondering about the Pro's and Cons, or is it a case of better the devil you know!!!

3. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

I branched down the Ubuntu route originally to save money on OS's(!). It has also had the advantage of running some projects that are were only for Linux - I'm thinking in the early days of 'bigadv' WU's - though I think this is now less common. (Most of my machines are Windows however).
    As for running old dual core CPU's, it probably won't be worth it, but you could use it as an opportunity to delve into Linux :D