1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress PARVUM LIGHTNING - Updated 14/06/2016

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by JR23, 26 Jul 2015.

1. JR23

JR23 Minimodder

[​IMG]

Hello everyone! I'm extremely excited to be starting another personal project, as most of you will know since Chocolate Box I have been collaborating with Parvum Sytems on their rig building exploits. Over that time I've developed a wide array of new techniques and gained a huge insight into how Parvum design and manufacture their cases. Consequently rather than being a descendant of an existing case this will be a scratch build designed specifically to accommodate the hardware being used, while no doubt elegantly incorporating some custom watercooling epicness.

Case - Custom Parvum JR1.0
    Motherboard - MSI X99A XPOWER AC
    GPU - MSI GTX 780Ti LIGHTNING x4
    PSU - Silverstone Strider ST1500-GS x2

GPU Block - EK-FC780 GTX Lightning - Acetal+Nickel x4
    CPU Block - EK-Supremacy EVO - Acetal+Nickel
    VRM Block - EK-MOSFET MSI X99 XPower - Acetal+Nickel
    Pump - EK-XTOP D5 Vario - Acetal (incl. pump) x2
    Reservoir - EK-RES X3 250 x2
    Fittings - EK-HD Adapter 10/12mm - Black x44
    Rotaries - EK-AF Angled 90° G1/4 Black x20
    Fans - Noctua iPPC 2000 PWM IP67 NF-A14 x3 and NF-F12 x12

Remaining components TBC

This is something i've been planning for quite a while now, long before I started working at Parvum. After expressing my love for MSI's Lightning series it has quickly snowballed into reality, I suppose we better take a look at what arrived in the mail last week...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As those of your familiar with Lightnings will know the packaging and accessories are on another level to just about every GPU in existence. It's great to see an extended LN2 heatsink for the power circuitry and a slick black SLI bridge although I doubt that I will be needing either of those.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here comes the main event...

[​IMG]

...the classic Lightning Tri-Frozr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But wait, wots that m9's...

[​IMG]

...lets take a closer look

[​IMG]

GTX 780Ti LIGHTNING confirmed. One of only 12 engineering samples produced before MSI cancelled their plans to retail the card.

[​IMG]

But as they say Lightning doesn't strike twice...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...it hits 4 times!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So much Power circuitry, (14+3)x4.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What else could follow up that monumental show of prowess from MSI, nothing less their flagship overclocking board the X99A XPOWER AC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tease much?

[​IMG]

The shear amount of accessories was overwhelming, even a pen drive in there somewhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I suppose we ought to take a look at the board then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should be plenty of PCIe to go around.

[​IMG]

MSI's 2011-3 socket, now with added pins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Black and yellow, black and yellow, black and yellow...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Massive thanks to MSI for making this happen and releasing some of the coolest Lightning cards ever built into the wild, let alone 1/3 of them.

Perhaps its now obvious why I will be designing a case from scratch, as a Parvum of the required magnitude doesn't yet exist. A substantial amount of progress has already been made on that front and i'm looking forward to presenting some renders very soon.

JR​

Last edited: 14 Jun 2016
  2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Moved to Modding until there are pics of work in progress and not just 500 pictures of the bits you're going to be putting in it :thumb:

3. JR23

JR23 Minimodder

[​IMG]

Well it's been a long day of refinements and rendering but I can now present the case to be used for PARVUM LIGHTNING, codename 'JR1.0'

[​IMG]

While it may seem very similar to the ATX case used for PARVUM KRAIT beyond the initial aesthetic similarities they don't have much in common. This is quite a lot bigger weighing in at 606mm (L) x 540mm (H) x 360mm (W)

[​IMG]

The interior has been kept very clean by implementing several techniques tried and tested on SENESCENTIS. The motherboard will be set into the midwall without the use of standoffs and similarly the GPU's will have their IO plate removed entirely.

[​IMG]

This ethos continues onto the exterior where through the use of a triple layer rear panel most of the graphics card IO will be hidden and the majority of screws will be covered. Leaving just 4 displayports and the motherboard IO on display.

[​IMG]

Seeing as the space is available and the quad Lightnings have potential to be exceptionally power hungry room has been made for two ATX PSU's.

[​IMG]

JR1.0 is currently being graced with MSI's OC logo however there are some blank spaces scattered around begging for some inlay details.

[​IMG]

To complement the substantial power delivery it's only fitting that the case accommodate some serious cooling hardware. There is room for 3 60mm thick 480mm radiators, 3 140mm intake fans and a pair of D5's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've no idea what this blanking plate in the floor is in aid of, you'll have to stay tuned and see ;)

[​IMG]

Just to give a sense of scale here is JR1.0 alongside an R1.0, VEER1.0, X1.0 and S2.0.

[​IMG]

I think now your all up to speed with where I am at with the case, further refinements will be made as the hardware is finalized but it's nearing it's final form after several iterations and tweaks. Thanks for your support so far, I really appreciate all of the views and comment.

JR​

Last edited: 6 Oct 2015
  4. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

The quintet look amazing, Magnus is missing, shame.

JR23, builds gonna look astonishing, looking forward to the next update.

5. JR23

JR23 Minimodder

Thanks dude! I'm not sure Magnus exists in the virtual 3d world, it would be great to have it for scale though, I think it was quite a lot taller and shorter, quite similar in width.

JR

Last edited: 3 Aug 2015
  6. el2k

el2k Modder

Subbed of course. Great project log so far. Lots of hours of work must have gone into them renders!

Last edited: 28 Jul 2015
  7. JR23

JR23 Minimodder

[​IMG]

Just figuring out how the pass through floor panel could work, although as of yet I don't know the exact position of many of the ports, I was just trying to make sure that I could fit in all of the hardware i've been thinking about. A little extra width in the case may well make things easier but it looks like there will be room for dual loops.

[​IMG]

Having experimented at Parvum layering up different types of acrylic I was disappointed with the contrast of having frosted clear over black acetal and yellow coolant. It looked rather washed out against the harsh contrast of black and yellow acrylic.

Laying polished clear acrylic over coolant looked phenomenal but was rather too revealing of what else lay beneath. Also the inherent reflections and dust of having an entire polished acrylic floor I just didn't want to think about. So it was time to break out some creativity to retain the harsh black and yellow contrast while adding some showy custom watercooling.

[​IMG]

For now at least i'm planning to have two sheets of 10mm clear, the lower with coolant channels and o-ring grooves cut into it and the upper with a positive version of the channel left behind.

[​IMG]

These two pieces will be screwed together firmly sandwiching an o-ring to seal the channels. Following that another negative cut from 5mm black acrylic will be inlayed over the top sitting flush with the raised channels.

[​IMG]

Finally the fittings can be threaded into the 10mm middle layer of acrylic. This must have enlarged raised ends so the fittings can seal against that rather than the black.

[​IMG]

I don't know exactly what style of run i'll make with the coolant however it will most likely be too dense to achieve a straight line between every fitting. That still leaves a lot of options to have varying width channels with 90° or 45° bends, that will have to wait until all of the ports can be accurately positioned.

I really must add some drain ports to the underside too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although barely visible in this render that is really what I was aiming for with this part. It isn't a mad crazy water thing screaming for attention and visual hierarchy but just a slick implementation to allow for some very clean tubing to each of the components. There is plenty of time for showing off on imersa's builds :D.

[​IMG]

Having said that, when it catches the hypothetical digital light...

[​IMG]

JR​

Last edited: 31 Aug 2015
  8. JR23

JR23 Minimodder

Thanks for the sub :thumb:

JR

9. saxovtsmike

saxovtsmike Minimodder

daymn, another Watercoolers wet dream CNC´d by Parvum...
    subbed

10. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Welcome to the Project Logs party pal. Stoked to help cut some of this madness.

11. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Looks good....if a little messy with all those fittings....

I know Justin loves a bit of spaghetti loop action tho.

12. JR23

JR23 Minimodder

Thank you!

They let me in :worried:

I don't plan to go out of control with the fittings. The pass-through block is by no means a final part, I was just checking that there was room for all of the components to be linked in that way and that my idea for the loops was plausible. Given the scale of the build I don't think little slender rigid tube fittings will be that distracting plus a little repetition and symmetry to their placement should make them across rather controlled. Not exactly a discrete loop but hopefully clean and sympathetic to the rest of the components.

JR

13. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

Damn it, I want Magnus, now I want this too. :wallbash:

14. timpelay

timpelay What's a Dremel?

This is crazy!

15. arg-ist

arg-ist Minimodder

Good work Dude. I like those midplates with waterchanels.some of my performed Works.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good luck…
    Subbed.

16. amagriva

amagriva Minimodder

I think the mod colour theme had to be green (as the colour of my face stained by unfathomable envy...) Just kidding yellow is super! Waiting updates (at least daily ones!)
    Hi!

17. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Can't wait for this! Dual PSUs? madness... Love it!

J.

18. JR23

JR23 Minimodder

Thank you!

Daily :eeek: I really appreciate your enthusiasm but as i'm helping to keep about 5 project logs moving along right now I probably won't manage 7 updates a week. I'll do my best to keep this one top of the priorities list.

Yep gonna need em. My current rig with two 780 Classy's has always been a little short on power with 860W as i'm anticipating at least twice the power draw and some even more beastly overclocks I think a pair of 1200's is in order. Can't have too much power!

JR

19. aggression

aggression What's a Dremel?

Subbed.

20. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

It is simply amazing to see how easy / fast Parvum can adjust the size of their designs into another size casing with similar style.

Good luck!