1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Games I Own: Monopoly

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 14 Apr 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I love Monopoly and have a few versions now.
    Original
    Harley Davidson Edition
    Glasgow Edition
    Star Wars Edition

I remember seeing a deluxe wooden version a few years back, thats the one I want.

3. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

I think monopoly is one of those games that is problematic in terms of how much competition it encourages (perhaps because of the financial aspect of it?) - I have a friend, who, like you, can't play it because it leads to unpleasant behaviour...

4. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

Oh damn.. yeh... RTS in general :(

For a long time my last RTS was Age of Empires 3, after that i started getting shooters, FEAR, FAR CRY 2, Crysis, Left 4 Dead, it was all extremly fun, i especially enjoy FEAR Multiplayer.

Then, it came to my mind how much i used to love RTS games, and started thinking why the hell I stoped playing them, so i got my hands on Medieval II: Total War and later Empire: Total War. Oh man now i do remember why i stoped playing them. Every day after work i go to home, get some food and i start playing, now i dont get to much sleep, every weekend i have to play, a few hours Medieval, then some hours with Empire.

Last Friday some friends made a farewell party for the Boss, i said i couldnt go because i had another party to go, yep, it was a lie, i had to play some TOTAL WAR :(

DAMN IT RTS

5. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

that's crazy man :D I was like that with quake though remember.. practice all night jumping through a map to get ready for a ogl match the next day.. then I'd roll the guy and wonder why I even bothered- do it all over again XD think it's some kind of addictive personality gamers share

6. digitaldave

digitaldave What's a Dremel?

ghettopoly Cheesecake

7. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

I'll have to be honest I'm not a fan of monopoly as the game is too reliant upon the roll of the dice

one person can go around landing on all the good places and the other landing on the less useful places, whilst you can argue that chance and luck of rolling the dice will even itself out over time,if you miss the good squares in the first 2-3 rotations of the board you stand no chance

8. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

anyone remember candyland.. used to play that and a lot of uno

9. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Slightly O/T but can anyone find a free version of Monopoly that might work on Vista without using DOSBox? I've been looking for ages and no such luck

10. Xir

Xir Modder

So you bahave like your average hedgefund banker when playing monopoly....:eyebrow:
    ...maybe you missed your call :D

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Ah, another sore loser, eh?

12. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

haha yeah a little bit

havn't played for about 3 years since my brother was the jammiest ******* alive and landed on every useful square going for about 6 rotations on the trot
    and every trip round i landed on the worst

this would obviously (without skill) give him an advantage.

Scrabble is my game.

13. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Funnily, this post was almost called "Games I Own: Monopoly and Scrabble"

Scrabble makes my girlfriend and I fight, everytime.

14. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Same here with me and my wife. We have never managed to complete a game yet, in the 6yrs we have been married. I bought UNO for our eldest daughter the other week, I played it as a kid and remembered it being fun. That was until me and the missus started playing, and I got accused of cheating because I was winning:sigh: There are sore losers, and then there are women, they take sour grapes to a new level!

15. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Thing is, monopoly isn't a very good game, once one person has got out ahead, only really, really bad luck will stop them from winning, and all the other players can do is drag it out as long as possible, and that can be a really long time.
    Our family now usually avoids games that start fights, for example, we don't play sevens (aka racing demons, fan tan), because my mum is so nasty when she plays...
    (oh, and I'm sure blokes are usually more sore losers than women)

16. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Yes, BF2:MC on the 360 springs to mind here. I was ridiculously competitive on it (rising to the rank of Captain IIRC). I eventually had to stop as the only way to rise in rank was to keep up your DK ratio and round points. It got to the point I would spend all evening playing, screaming at the tv or anyone in the vicinity if something didn't quite go my way (team kills, sniped etc).

Ah the memories....

Rainbow Six Vegas was the same (again I was a captain) until I realised how seriously I was taking it.

17. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Perfect timing on the blog post, I was just wondering the other day if there is a good online multiplayer version of Monopoly?

A few years back there was a great version available online for free (browser based), but it was taken down when the rights to Monopoly was sold. I'm pretty sure the entire comp-sci campus at my old uni mourned for the day.

18. Xir

Xir Modder

..I had to stop playing "Galaxy Wars", it simply consumed too much time.
    (Game runs in real time, so if you want to be succesfull, you've got to get up at 3 in the night and respond to an attack and things like that. It's a lot lika a "my Ebay is about to run out i've got to check NOW"...thing) :grr:

19. Chombo

Chombo What's a Dremel?

Board games make me more mad than anything else. Primarily Scrabble and Boggle. Primarily because my view is that if you can't give a definition of the word that is correct without looking in the dictionary it didn't count. Eventually either of those games devolves into someone looking in the scrabble dictionary for 5 minutes trying to make a word out 7 consonants. Or stringing together 3 letter words in hopes that is a word in boggle. But I digress... my blood pressure is already raised.

20. LucusLoC

LucusLoC What's a Dremel?

meh, for me it is the opposite. i use games to vent the frustration. fps's work best for that, but rts's work fine too. My gf tries to tell me to stop playing when i start yelling, and i keep trying to tell her its better this way, because then i don't fell tempted to yell at stupid coworkers, but she has not realized this yet. . .

i don't get this way with board games at all, which is good. my group of friends are competitive, but pretty much in just a friendly way.

might i add a congrats for identifying a problem area and taking the steps to avoid it. way to take personal responsibility for yourself and not foist-the problem-off-on/blame someone else. if only other could learn to do that.

Tags: Add Tags