1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Swapping 5400rpm HDD for 7200rpm HDD in laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cdb, 29 Jul 2011.

1. cdb

cdb No comment

Will there be any issues swapping a 160GB 5400rpm (wd1600 bevs 22rsto) hard drive for a 750GB Western Digital WD7500BPKT Scorpio Black 7200rpm drive. I'm thinking along the lines of heat and/or power consumption. Her hdd is almost full (photos/videos etc) so could do with an upgrade.
    Failing that I assume this one would be OK 750GB Western Digital WD7500BPVT Scorpio Blue 5400rpm?

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

the only problem i forsee is the height of the drive, but looking at wdc.com, it looks like the height for both maybe the same.

3. cdb

cdb No comment

Yes, the origional and the two above are all 9.5mm.

4. Kemp

Kemp Minimodder

Really, your only issue is that the faster drive will be more vulnerable to being knocked around while in use.

5. cdb

cdb No comment

Do you mean in an anti shock sort of way? If so that shouldn't be much of a problem as her laptop rarely moves.

6. Kemp

Kemp Minimodder

Yeah, if it's not being carried around while you're using it then you'll have absolutely no problems in that regard. There shouldn't be much difference in sensitivity between the speeds in real terms anyway, but it is something that the manufacturers have mentioned before.

7. cdb

cdb No comment

OK, thanks.

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

A 7200 RPM HDD will consume more power... it might or might not affect you, based on your usage, and what you run. A faster HDD will perform the task faster and spin down sooner, than a 5400RPM drive. But a 7200 RPM consumes more power.

The impact on your battery will depend on your system. A "time" less, can't be given as it depends on your battery life. My Core 2 Duo P series laptop has 10 hours of battery life with a 5400RPM HDD (23sec boot from Windows boot to account fully loaded - using Win7 64-bit, 4GB of RAM). If I put a 7200RPM HDD in my laptop, if it's 10min less.. it might be not visible on your 5 hours (I am guessing) battery life system. But if it's 2 hours less for me (huge exaggeration, it might be a lot of visible for you).

9. cdb

cdb No comment

Can anyone recommend a good disc cloning program for swapping these drives over.

10. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Acronis is highly recommend from me and most of the forum. It was really simple for me

BTW you can always use the drive you pull out as an external one, try finding a enclosure that will power the HDD without a wall wart, they come in really handy

11. cdb

cdb No comment

Would a usb2 port provide enough power for a sata drive?

12. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

Power varies between drives. Some 7200rpm drives will consume the same or less power than some 5400rpm drives.

One thing you will probably notice is slightly more vibration (due to the higher rotation), and depending on the models, slightly more of a humming noise.

13. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

For a desktop HDD, you need at least 2x USB 2.0 to provide power... they are adapter, but expect compatibility issue due to different power requirement of different HDD model.

If you are going with USB, and really want USB and nothing else, then go with a laptop SATA HDD.

14. bnicholls195

bnicholls195 What's a Dremel?

Thinking of doing the same thing with my laptop. Would a 7200 rpm drive make a noticeable difference to boot times e.c.t. The drive in there is a wd 160gb from around three years ago.

15. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

No, unfortunately no. 7200RPM laptop drives are waste of money in my opinion. If you really want a difference in speed, get a SSD. I know, they are pricy - but 5400->7200RPM upgrade is a waste of money. The problem with the 2.5" mechanical hard drives is not the transfer speed (which is pretty much the only parameter you change by going from 5400 to 7200RPM), but access time. And that will not change much (~15ms) unless you buy a SSD (<0.1ms).

16. bnicholls195

bnicholls195 What's a Dremel?

I only paid 50 quid for the laptop (good deal at work) so I kinda resent paying nearly double that for an ssd but you are very much correct ssd is the only way!!

17. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

The Seagate Momentus XT drive is quite popular -- it runs at 7200rpm and so gives the benefits of that as well as a high capacity, but also includes a small SSD for caching, giving very noticeable performance benefits.

18. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who