1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Traffic is becoming a joke in this country

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 10 Nov 2016.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'm currently just planning a trip (UK only). The route would take 1 hour 50 minutes without traffic: it's not even 0530 and there's a 1/2 hour delay.

Bollocks to this.

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

For motorways, it's the people who feel entitled to the mid and right lanes that are causing the problem. Too many times I join following a row of cars and immediately most of them switch to middle lane and stop accelerate, sitting at 60mph.

Then there's the slow drivers, who speed up and slow down for no apparent reason. They don't seem to have any idea on the width of their car and would hold up traffic in places that you can get a van across. To add to that, most of them drive a Chelsea tractor.

Related to the slow drivers are the distracted drivers, the most dangerous breed! They are the accident causing kind. It could be either talking to their passengers or looking down at a glowing screen.

2 hour with 1/2 hour delay seems reasonable to me. On the morning of New year's day, it took me just over 20min to get from my house N11 to M4/M25 junction (aka out of London towards my parents). Same journey usually takes 40min and even longer during busy times (Friday afternoon). Trip to my parents usually takes around 3 hours, fastest was that new year's day at 2:30 (same time as Google's no traffic estimates). Longest took 6 hours, 2 accidents on M4, one on M5 and congestion in London.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Not being flippant here, but you've just got to chill.

The 60 mile commute to my old job could take anything from 90 minutes to 3 hours, and I used to get so wound up, almost chewing the steering wheel in frustration, until it finally sunk in that it didn't make an ounce of difference to my predicament. I soon learnt to spend the time on autopilot, thinking of other things/projects/problems to solve etc.., and it had a tangible effect on my mood on arrival.

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

It takes me between 15 and 45 minutes to drive to work, depending on how early I leave the house.

Recently I've been having to leave later which is putting me into the stop start traffic, and it can be frustrating but there's nothing to be done. Just try and accept it and try and make yourself comfortable.

Whatever you do, don't put the radio on, it's awful. Get yourself some decent music instead.

5. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I'm only a town over from my work and have use of either motorway or the roads, both are a gamble and my journey can take 30 - 60 mins, this morning was horrendous with drivers not knowing best course of action on certain situation and just become an obstruction.

The roads have too many traffic lights and the motorway can be congested as due to the works on the m62.

I have a nice stereo, a sub and some heavy metal! :rock:
    I royally hate being late by even a minute but when I finally realised it can't be helped I've started to feel better and just take the time to ponder things, I seem to be enjoying looking at the houses I pass and wonder what it's like in side.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

get a motorbike ;)

7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Or push bike, takes me 30 minutes to get to work, 10 on a push bike using cycle paths. No brainer.

8. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I'm surprised no-one's suggested getting a motorbike yet.

Sorry mate, I didn't see you.

9. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I got a bike once, got run over :(

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Learn to play the harmonica and practice whilst in traffic.

11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Mmm. Same sort of story for me getting to the folks at Christmas each year. Three accidents one year, all involving a make of car beginning with B and ending with MW :rolleyes:.
    I hear what your saying, Spreadie, but I am what I am! Alone in the car, I turn into a rage machine in traffic. If I have a passenger, completely different story. I'll call friends and family up on my hands free kit for a chat if it gets bad - which helps a lot.
    Agreed, though some of the talk shows can be interesting/amusing (in a good way).
    I would kill myself in about 0.47 seconds if I ever got my hands on one - I would enjoy that brief time though.
    Used to, but some ******* stole my bike. I live 16 miles away from my place of work - when setting off to get back home I would ALWAYS beat the traffic. I haven't bought a new one as using the car again showed me how lucky I was to be alive on the roads that I use.
    Done that too.

12. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

If the cost of a bicycle is off-putting, your employer may off a cycle2work scheme.

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

^It's not the cost, it's the fact I might get run over!

14. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

My current workplace is, according to google maps, Exactly five Miles. It has taken me well over half an hour before because of traffic.

On a good day I can make that run in under ten minutes, most of which is getting into/out of the estate I live in.

15. legoman

Adds to the fun surely, I'm a bit spoilt where I am we have a pretty good cycle infrastructure I wouldn't dare ride on the roads in rush hour too many morons about. Number of incidents I've seen of cars "not seeing" cyclists is shocking.

Have you considered a helicopter?

16. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I think most would agree when I say that a Harrier Jump Jet to work would be wonderful, but the maintenance costs might be a bit much.

17. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

DRONES!!!!

18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

What about the number of cyclists "not seeing" red traffic lights (or at least believing they don't apply to cyclists)! :wallbash:

19. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Making up songs about the road I'm on and singing them out loud whilst doing voice impressions has shortened many a lonely journey for me.

The Geordie accent A483 song was truly epic.

A483 is the road for me.
    A483 gets me home you see,
    All these cars get in my way,
    I diveny (sp?) care they won't make me stay.

And so on.

Last edited: 10 Nov 2016
  20. legoman

Surely a government subsidy would be provided as your not own promoting British engineering but also reducing traffic on the roads and providing employment in maintenance of said aircraft

I am with you on that, your on the road therefore a road user so you obey the road laws, its not hard. Unfortunately a small minority of cyclists give the bulk of the rest of us a bad name.