1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Ebuyer "Ex-Display" Scam

Discussion in 'General' started by LennyRhys, 3 Feb 2017.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

So after a few days of waiting I got my "ex-display" X99 Raider board from Yodel today. I was pretty excited to have a look at this before putting my new system together (planned for tomorrow) however I got an unpleasant surprise when I opened the outer cardboard box:

[​IMG]

Ex-display???? Ebuyer forgot to mention that it's actually a refurbished RMA specimen with no original box or accessories (except for the I/O shield), so it's going straight back to the shop and I'm likely not to buy from Ebuyer again, after being a faithful customer for more than ten years. :(

I've since ordered a different board from Scan which I'll get on Monday.

I don't think I'm over-reacting about this but would like to know if anybody has had any similar experiences with Ebuyer.

Needless to say, the item I bought (and all trace of it) has been completely removed from the website so I can't review or share the phoney listing. Crafty b*stards!

Last edited: 3 Feb 2017
  2. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

How disappointing. :(

It can be a gamble ordering ex-display/B-grade/refurb stuff. I bought my case and a motherboard (not the one in my sig) as "B-grade" from OCUK. I called them up prior to ordering to ask what was included/missing but the chap said that they don't record that info. I took a punt anyway and luckily both items came boxed with all their accessories (from what I can tell, bar a couple of wifi antenna securing nuts for the mobo).

What accessories should it have? Have you weighed up the cost of replacing them against the saving you made?

Edit:

You might want to resize the image. I believe the forum's usual auto-resizer was killed in the Bowling Green Massacre.

Last edited: 3 Feb 2017
  3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I would expect B-grade to be stock that has been returned by a customer or basically used and repackaged in some way but otherwise fine. Missing accessories and cosmetic damage are kind of expected...a refurb though is bit more than just a used but otherwise operating product.

If the website said something about their Ex-Display possibly being refurbished it would be fine, but they don't:
    I bought B-Stock from overclockers as a direct motherboard replacement which allowed me to reboot directly into windows without any activation hassle. Can't remember if all the accessories were packeged, probably not as I don't recall seeing any duplicate accessories over the years. Not that it mattered because I had those from the first one that broke.

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

@Yadda, SATA cables, SLI bridge, and the manual. Can't do nowt with a mobo that doesn't come with SATA cables. Granted, buying replacement cables would cost me a few quid, and the manual I can download... but the motherboard itself could be a brick and I just ain't gonna take that chance. Shoddy sales practices from the company and that's the end of my dealings with them (once the return is authorised).

@theshadow2001, the only (and I mean ONLY) reason I even considered buying this motherboard is that I was assured it was a new (or nearly new) product with original box & accs. that had been on display, as per the item description (which, somewhat conveniently for ebuyer, is now unavailable) and in line with the Terms & Conditions that you quoted. If it had been listed as B-grade, refurb or anything other than ex-display, I wouldn't have touched it with a bargepole... now that I know it's a refurb, I ain't touching it with a bargepole.

And Ebuyer are going to pay for the return shipping for their shoddy goods or there'll be hell to pay.

5. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Fair enough. I fully understand your disappointment and don't blame you for sending it back.

Out of interest though if you don't mind me asking, how much was the mobo?

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Ebuyer are crap. I've not even looked on their site let alone ordered since 2014. I thought they were good but a mate of mine once said "You're joking right? have you read their reviews?".

Any way in 2014 I decided to order my dream rig for £3500. I really wanted to order from either Amazon or OCUK because their customer service is excellent but alas neither had everything I wanted from one place. So I decided to use Ebuyer.

They sent £3500 worth of computer parts using Yodel in about four boxes (fair play, it was a big order) but two of the boxes had split open and had been taped up by Yodel with green tape saying "Please check contents". I was bloody mortified. So I contacted customer service and they really couldn't have given a ****. They were about as empathic as they would have been if I had spent £5.

Way to go douchebag, welcome to my "would never order again" list.

Oh yeah ! forgot about the second part. A year in the board I bought (MSI Big Bang Xpower II) failed. It was down clocking my 3970x to 1.1ghz. Again I contacted Ebuyer and again they were useless, telling me I was probably better off directly RMAing it with MSI because it would probably be faster. So I did, and it cost me nearly £30 to send it back.

So aye, any chance they had of me ordering again evaporated after one serious order.

Nowadays I either use Amazon or Overclockers. In fact, 90% of my orders over the past two years have been from OCUK. I bought a B grade monitor and it arrived with a line down the screen (when it was on like). They had it collected the next day by DPD and refunded me immediately.

I also had an issue when they refunded me for something but forgot to refund the shipping so I posted in their CS forum and it was dealt with within an hour or so. Very friendly over there (Bailey is excellent) and their employees actually give a **** unlike the bots that answer your problems at Ebuyer.

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

@Yadda, they were selling it for £169.92. Amazon have it for £190 with Prime delivery so it's not a tremendous saving, but I saved on every other component so why not the mobo as well.

@Vault-Tec, I've had many orders from ebuyer and have never had any problems - they were my "go to" company for years.

I'll phone them Monday and hopefully it'll be a swift returns process as I haven't even used the product.

8. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Yes, all things considered, that isn't much of a saving. What a PITA.

9. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Screw ebuyer for this and Screw them double and triple for using yodel.

Makes my blood boil just thinking of the experience i had with them.

Last edited: 4 Feb 2017
  10. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I haven't used ebuyer since the MSI Mobo fiasco, that ended up with trading standards having to get involved to sort out the order!

11. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

They were my goto place for a long while. Just found there prices crept up and then they took the free delivery off my account. I have free delivery with Scan and OCUK and stepson has Amazon prime. Aria are a company I will never ever use whilst I have a hole in my arse.

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Ebuyer didn't give me any problems with the return, and I even got an apology when I described what had happened... but I'm prepared to write that off as customer service scripting. The cost of the experience was the price of postage, and the lesson learned is never to buy "ex-display" from ebuyer again.

13. loftie

loftie Multimodder

IIRC they should have paid for postage as it was not as described :confused: Pretty sure that's a thing under CCR (whatever DSR 2.0 is called).

14. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Consumer Contract Regulations 2013 - 14 days to cancel the order from the day after it was delivered. If no pre-contractual info or cancellation period was given then its 12 months & 14 days. Liable for return postage however.

Consumer Rights Act 2015 - Goods not as described - short term right to reject period 30 days starting from the day you get the goods. Down to you to prove it's not as described, however down to them to pick up the tab for postage and give you a full refund in 14 days from the point you rejected it.

God do I hate knowing consumer law inside and out !

Never had a problem with ebuyer, and even if something has been faulty its always been sorted without any fuss at all.

Oh and they all seem to be using Yodel these days, because they are cheap :( I hate Yodel ! City Link with their big green and yellow invisible vans are more reliable !

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

My go-to components pusher of late has been Scan.

And by "go-to" I mean I go to them for pickup. No couriers!

Anything that has to get delivered, I have routed to work, (who are ok with such things) on the grounds that couriers don't like to piss business customers around with delays and "we called when you were out" cards.

16. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Dear shops,

your customer service is the most important investment you can make. These days how people talk about you on the net and especially enthusiast forums I'm sure is worth a lot of money in potential customers. Look at OCUK, a few years back and most of us wouldn't have touched them ( mainly due to CS issues), now since they changed ownership (I think) everyone is quick to recommend them again mainly due to CS. How much has that been worth to them. NRG IT are another company which springs to mind. I remember them coming here saying how many people were being referred to them from this site alone, again CS was a major part of that recommendation.

Last edited: 19 Mar 2017
  17. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I'm wary of Ebuyer these days, I asked about an 'Ex-Display' item a few years ago, and CS said 90 day warranty only, which put me off immediately for the saving I'd have made.
    Worse, is the i5 purchase I made a couple of years ago [Apologies, I've ranted about this before].
    I ordered an Ivy i5 CPU to upgrade a PC at work, plus a few small items. I used the free delivery option, and after waiting a few days chased the overdue delivery.

CS advised me that the parcel had been delivered, but couldn't tell me who signed for it...

I was just about to put in a claim for the lost parcel, but for some reason went round to the back of the house, and spotted the parcel that had been left without a card through the door or signature. Yodel had left a parcel with 'Do not leave if not signed for' without getting a signature...
    Ebuyer CS were relieved, but didn't want to follow up my complaint against Yodel.
    If I was unscrupulous, I could have had a free replacement and they would have not been the wiser - they didn't give a stuff about that aspect either.

Interestingly, I was on Google Maps the other week looking for a local business and saw a pin showing refurb monitors for sale. I clicked on it, and realised that it was NRG IT, who are unexpectedly local to me - about 5 miles away. :cooldude:

18. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Yodel strikes again I see lol.

They are pretty awful to be honest and My Hermes aren't much better it seems they are getting their fair share of complaints too. I'm not sure which one of the two it was but my Dad ordered something and as nobody was home it got shoved. yes shoved under the side gate.

I've also been at home and they have come to the door, not knocked it and just posted a card through. Should have seen the guys face when I opened the door and said "Oy Pal, where's my package then?"

Car was on the drive and he could see I was home watching TV at the time. Lazy terd.

19. bsp

bsp Minimodder

Funny thing is I used to work at a 24 hour site and they used the line "you weren't in when we called". Funnily enough they dodged when I asked them how on earth no one was in at site open 24-hours a day. I told the company to keep their delivery and refund me. I got the stuff I needed from elsewhere.

20. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Myhermes is just down to luck on the person who delivers in your area. We used to have this lady who was excellent. If we weren't here she would leave a card with her mobby number on so we could get in contact with her any day, any time (well, within reason).

Fast forward to now? JFC. The new delivery driver bloke is bloody TERRIBLE. He always turns up late (like the wrong day) and usually around 8pm when we are all settled in curtains closed watching TV. He rings the doorbell once, smashes on the window and then literally turns and leaves. He never leaves cards EVER he just randomly keeps turning up.

About two months back I started stockpiling parts for a complete scratch build bike. Any way, the stem I ordered failed to show up on delivery day. However, it showed as delivered and signed for. I got in contact with the Ebay seller and eventually after another three business days refunded me. They weren't very happy about it though.

Two days later there was a thud on the window, stem arrived.

Apparently what he had done was decide to take a day off, so he signed for all of his parcels so he could sit on his ass. What makes it worst is Hermes are fully aware of this yet he's still delivering to us.

So aye, pretty much down to luck. If your deliverer is a decent honest human being you're in luck. If not? total lottery.