1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Prey (2017)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hex, 7 May 2017.

1. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Considering Bethesda have been bombarding me with Prey emails for what seems like forever, I'm amazed I didn't actually start a thread about it! (Seriously, beware of joining Bethesda lists, they will fill your inbox!)

You are Morgan Yu (Male or Female, you choose), Lead Scientist aboard Talos I. Your first day of work quickly takes a dark turn as you find yourself fighting an alien invasion on a lavish space station using only your wits and any weapons you can make or find. Should these creatures reach Earth, life as you know it will end.

So, Prey 2 never materialised and instead, Arkane Studios (Bioshock 2, Dishonored 1& 2) have re-imagined the original Prey as a spiritual sequel to System Shock. As such, there's a heavy Bioshock vibe throughout the game, which is no bad thing at all! Also, to allay fears somewhat, after the issues with Dishonored 2 on PC, they moved from using the in-house Void Engine to CryEngine 5.

There's a free playable demo of the opening hour available on Xbox One and PS4. I think they have probably fixed it by now, but a friend of mine tried the PS4 demo and felt the controls were really off. He did get a tweet from one of the devs saying they were aware of an issue with the PS4 demo and it would be fixed, though they immediately deleted the tweet... He bought the full version on PC and has not had the same control issues there in the main game. It's also worth noting that the President of Arkane Studios, Raphaël Colantonio, stated that players on PC did not get a demo as they can and should use Steam's 2hr refund policy as a PC demo.

official site | twitter | facebook | instagram | tumblr | steam | XB1 | PS4

2. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

the original Prey 2 looked interesting, i thought the re-imagined version would still be decent game until i saw the actual gameplay, cartoonish graphics, strange art style considering the setting and crappy combat, what a let down.

3. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

The original bounty-hunter style game looked fudging awesome, literally cannot fathom why they decided for a Bioshock/Dead Space mashup instead...

(but I did not enjoy Bioshock nor Dead Space, so I was always going to be disappointed)

Still, we can always wait another 10 years for the next reboot.

4. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Considering how much all my friends are loving this game (I can't get it for a while, Destiny 2 is the game I saved up for this year \o/ ), I'm really surprised to only see negative stuff here :( Mind you, the people loving it are probably playing it and not replying to threads :)

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

a lot of people are telling me that prey plays like an old school SS2 thinking mans shooter from the golden era, the thing is...i hate bethesda as a publisher and i thought dishonoured was console pap garbage so im kinda on the fence about this.

*edit*

sof it, pulled the trigger, will see how it plays.

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Ok so I'm actually quite impressed it looks like BioShock in space but it plays like system Shock 2, the 1930s architect and styling in space doesn't quite fit well with me but I am getting used to it

Overall I am pleasantly surprised

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'm looking forward to playing it (don't own it yet) but I'm making a conscious effort to play through the mountain of games I have on Steam.

8. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

For me it feels like its almost Half-Life 3:)

9. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Played and completed the demo and found it ok but have no real interest in spending ~£40 on it (PS4).

Maybe the full game will be better but I quickly tired of the Mimic gameplay mechanic as it was thrown at you way too often. Performance was fine but the visuals were a bit meh (not bad just nothing to be blown away by).

Might look at it when it comes up used for around £20 but not going out of my way to buy it.

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

That's easy, they didn't make the original Prey 2 because it was totally impossible to make. All the gameplay from the E3 demo was scripted and the unveil trailer set an impossible target.

I think this game's pretty awesome.

It's basically System Shock 2 but slightly simplified (or Bioshock in space if you missed System Shock 2). The plot's good and has some interesting twists, the attention to detail of the world is fantastic, the art style is very Arkane studios, it contains a blunt instrument that's use would make Gordon Freeman proud.

Also the Typhon are suitably alien, they're really well animated too, mostly. It wouldn't be a Bethesda game if things didn't occasionally derp out on you.

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Bump, I'm about just past half way through this game. It's amazing!

It's been a couple of years and I got it for cheap many moons ago. It was free on Epic Store last week.

I wrote it off when I first got it (because Arcane), I thought it was too scary, didn't like the jump scares from mimics. But after watching one or two of "Prey is a masterpiece" video essays, I decided to give this a try. It's well worth the initial scares, it's one of the best immersive sims I've played. Very Dishonoured in style and Bioshock (more original than Infinite) in gameplay. I'm really sucked into the story and want to know what happened to a couple of crew members I've encountered in side quest. Each encounter is more of a puzzle than FPS action: how to take them down most efficiently.

12. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

I must have started Prey at least half a dozen times, and given up relatively swiftly. It just didn't resonate with me, at all.

This time round I forced myself to keep going purely because of all the good things said about it. I'm only part way through GUTS, but also loving it, and kicking myself for bailing so many times.

Currently on edge wondering how many 'upgrades' before my current tactic of setting up kill zones with multiple turrets and chucking in a Typhon lure starts to backfire...

wyx087 likes this.
  13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Yeah, 'tis a good game for sure! Completed it back in...early 2018 IIRC. Still have to get around to playing the DLC, though from what I've heard, it's its own thing.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  14. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Want to play/like it, but makes me ill :(

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Well, I completed it last night. It was...... very interesting.

The twist after credit is interesting. It makes me question the whole game, what actually happened on Talos 1, what did the real Morgan do.

The escape shuttle side quest that leads to the outcome where you blowing up the station but other people (with or without you) escaping is completely at odds with eachother. I wish there was an dialog option from January to immediate self-destruct to prevent escape shuttle launch for completists that have completed the side quest to see all the outcomes.

The summary-style post credit scene is brilliant. I am eager to do another playthrough as full typhon and ignore all the rescue pleas to see what would be the outcome.

Pete J likes this.