Motherboards 775 Full ATX suggestions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jhanlon303, 20 Dec 2008.

1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I'm looking at getting my first full ATX board. I would like Intel 775 socket for a core 2 Duo and beyond that I don't have many preferences. If it is at all possible maybe a black motherboard?

You guys have any good ones and ones to stay away from. I don't intend to overclock it but I will water coll it. Kinda in my blood now!:thumb:

john

2. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

If it was me, I would go Gigabyte or Asus, as they are large, reliable, high-quality companies, but I don't have much experience TBH.

I have a Gigabyte X48-DS4, serves me pretty damn well.

3. jhanlon303

I really like the looks of the ASUS. The Republic of Gamers stuff is cool.

john

4. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

What are your intents for the pc? Gaming? Browsing?

5. jhanlon303

It's going in my full tower Lian-Li case, it will be H2O cooled and it will be used as my daily driver as well as an occasional game. I want to try some games. I have not done a game since Myst.

It is not meant to be a lan rig and moved very often. A fully loaded Lian-Li tower is heavy.

john

6. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Gigabyte boards are very colorful, so watch out! :p

Take a look at Asus's P5Q series, particularly Pro and SE.

7. mooseguy

mooseguy Crazy Moose

Some of the DFI boards are very good. The P45 DK T2RS-Plus is a good, solid board that overclocks nicely, has a black PCB and is very pretty. Review: http://is.gd/cMZk

8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

ASUS Maximus Formula. Can be flashed to a Rampage Formula, since it's the same board (X48 is a cherry-picked X38). You can probably pick these boards up pretty cheap these days with the i7/X58 craze and what not. :)

9. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I'd say since it's casual gaming, and mainly other things, get a p45, doesn't have SLI, but does offer crossfire I believe, and they overclock well if your into that sort of thing.

10. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I was under the impression that you needed an X chipset for CrossFire, and the P chipsets can only take one PCIe 16x slot?
    I may be wrong, but if this is right (which it should be) then you need an X series chipset for more than one high-end graphics card.
    Or have I misinterpreted it :/

I would go for a touch more money and get an X48 or X38 chipset board and futureproof yourself for buying another graphics card, should you get a bit more into it ;)

11. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

The P series chipsets offer less PCI-E lanes, so when you use both x16 slots, they'll get downgraded to x8. Crossfire is possible, however.

12. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

And since PCIe 2.0 is twice as fast as PCIe 1.x you won't really want for speed either.

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i guess the golden question is 'whats your budget?'

I would point you in the direction of DFI or Gigabyte boards, and considering your only going to try getting back into gaming i imagine your going to have a decent mid-range graphic card.

Multi GPU set up i dont see as an option as its a waste of cash.

Have a hunt for DFI P35 and P45 boards, there usually black PCB's and overclock really well all for £100, not sure what that would be in yanky gold..

EDIT DFI Lanparty DK P45-T2RS

14. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

+1 for gigabyte, very colourful though

may i say that if you're watercooling not overclocking your system would be a crime

15. mooseguy

mooseguy Crazy Moose

What I said :D
    It is a nice board. Looks nice, overclocks well and is stable.

16. Cjshuck

Cjshuck What's a Dremel?

17. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

er no, the P31 chipset is basically the P35 chipset that didn't pass quafilication to be a P35, so there lacking in top end speed.

Bit-tech recommend the board due its cost and its stability, dont get me wrong its a good board, just not even in the same legeue as the DFI monsters.

I currently use a P35C-DSR3 which clocks very well and i haven't even got serious in squeezing more speed as i dont need anymore, however the board is fulgy, and i had to replace the passive northbridge sink because it cant deal with a heavy overclock.

18. jhanlon303

I already have a watercooled, overclocked board: :jawdrop:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=159236

This case and components is more show than to go. A full tower Lian-Li done well.

john

19. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

There's a plethora of good boards out there, John. Many of the suggestions already given I'd concur with. Personally, I'm a DFI man. Burt then again I like spending countless hours tweaking BIOS and pulling hair out over some asinine thing I found that bricked the build. :lol:

Just depends on budget, theme, and necessities you'd want.

Perhaps MSI would be a good 'all-around' board maker for ease of setup but still have capabilities that the tweakers would want. My .02.

20. jhanlon303

I can't in all honesty put a budget on a LIan-Li build. It will get what it needs. With the 9600 GT video card being ASUS and black, the case being black and alum. pretty much sets the theme.
    Let's go for elegance. A black MB, a 120.4 or 120.3 radiator, a 1K PSU to support the video and new MB.

The Alien once told me which official Lian-Li this case is closest to but I forgot. I've had it for seeming ever.

In my misspent younger days I have spent a lot of money on race cars, show cars and LSR attempts. My last race car - 1989 Geo Metro with the turbo intercooled engine, trans, and rearend from a GMC Syclone consumed almost what I originally paid for this acreage. The good lady/wife Marilyn says this one needs to be done right. 30 yrs. with the lady - who am I to argue.

This is my turn to use laser cutters and waterjet people and use real parts that people will understand.

The neatest part is that I have to get out of the chair to work on it! Exercise! Too big to sit on my lap.

If I show enough pictures could someone tell me what Lian-Li case is closest to this one? I would like to admire some other modder's works. Lian-Li has a whole bunch more coverage on the interweb than Rocketfish.

john

If the references to the caes got lost - go here:

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=161945

Last edited: 24 Dec 2008