1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos poker

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by whisperwolf, 1 Aug 2009.

1. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

still playing with off camera lighting, so new still lifeish pics, took about 80 throws to get about 4 with the chips in a place I liked.

poker 1
    [​IMG]

poker 2
    [​IMG]

Click em for larger at flickr
    C&C always welcomed

2. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

ooo a gutshot and the nut flush draw off the flop only to get a royal flush off the turn... something tells me this shot was set up ;) :p

Really nice shots though. The lighting is spot on IMO - loving the shadows cast by the air-bourne chips.

I know I mentioned it earlier, but I do think that the shot could be improved if the cards were different. Although you've given yourself the best possible hand, two hold cards such as KK or AKs just look better (again, IMO :))

3. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Those are rather well executed. You should try and sell them via istockphoto or the like.

4. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

The first one is almost perfect. The light on the table is great and the center chips are all facing Vs the 2nd one where one is edge on.

the only comment would be that the lower right hand corner is distorted. It draws the eye off to the corner instead of to the center. maybe the feathering of the light as in the second one on the lower right-while keeping the bounce on the cards left- with the faced chip in the first would work better?

5. whisperwolf

Thanks for the comments, Looking back at them the front chips in the first are too bright, my fault as I brightened them in the edit, the silver reflector I was using had slipped a bit and the chips were darker than in the second shot so they needed a little tweek, and I think i went a bit too far.
    If i shot it again I think I might reverse the chips in the bottom right to lead into the pic, so large pile right in the corner smaller pile up and to left.
    AK might have looked better as the hold cards but this was shot for the trustedreviews "looking up" photo comp so i wanted a hand that went from Meh to pretty good :)
    Oh and I've never thought about selling any of my shots, wouldn't really know how to go about it, or if it can be done as a hobby, don't sites like istockphoto require consistent numbers of uploaded photos a month?
    I'm going to come back to the poker shots as I've a few ideas for some more shots in the same vein

6. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

I agree with the comments made - but absolutely stunning - any chance of the first one in a 1920 res for a wallpaper?

RwD

7. whisperwolf

8. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Doh - should have looked first. Taa d00de!

RwD

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

I saw these on Flickr - the first one is a great shot! :)

10. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Congrats on the compo win, enjoy your LX3 :thumb:

11. whisperwolf

Cheers:D, can't actually believe I won, especially after looking at some of the other entries. And yes the top picture apparently just won the trustedreviews.com monthly photo comp, so I'm really very happy this morning.

I can heartily recommend entering the competition as the prizes are good and the theme's can be quite challenging but its fun to see just how wide a variety of shots get picked for the finalists.If I can win it everybody has a chance. This month is the power of nature.

Shooting for this comp has definitely made me really enjoy studio still life shots, Don't think I'd every make a good portrait or landscape photographer but still life lets me control everything in the shot.