1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Upgrade Advice.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DieselPower, 9 Apr 2011.

1. DieselPower

DieselPower What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums as a new poster, but a longtime reader.
    anyway, I'm looking for advice for what parts to upgrade on my rig, as i'm hasn't been massivly upgraded for 3/4 years!
    On advisment by Fingers66, I'm now using a template for easier reading and so forth.
    -
    Budget:
    £800 - £1,000
    This is just for the system itself.

Main uses of intended build:
    Gaming, Graphcis Design

Parts required:
    OS, CPU, MB, GPU, RAM and Cooler
    (Would like keep the PSU and Case as these are new, and the HDD's if possible.)

Previous build information (list details of parts):
    OS - Windows XP Home SP3
    CPU - Intel Core2Quad Q9450 OC'ed at 3.0 GHZ, coupled with a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7
    MB - Asus P5N-D
    GPU - Xpertvision 9600GT OC'ed
    RAM - 2GB DDR2
    HDD - 2x 320GB Hitatchi/Samsung Drives in RAID 0
    Sony DVDRW Drive
    -And I've added new parts in the last couple of months, listed below.
    PSU - Coolermaster Silent Gold Pro 1200W
    Case - Coolermaster HAF-X with Sharkoon red neon lighting.

Monitor resolution:
    Currently 1920 x 1080 (22in)

Storage requirements:
    1TB

will you be overclocking:
    Yes

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers):
    Will require SLI/Xfire, and maybe watercooling in budget allows.

Extra information about desired system:
    N/A
    -
    Any advice would be welcomed.
    Thanks.

Last edited: 10 Apr 2011
  2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

3. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Recently upgraded from a 4 year build myself and found the following more than capable...

CPU: i5 2500K

CPU COOLER: Gelid Tranquillo

MOTHERBOARD: Asus P8P67 Deluxe (Great connectivity)

RAM: Corsair Memory XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) (I went 4GB but since you do graphical work!)

Pretty good bedrock for the rest of your build.

5. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Thanks for taking the time to lay it all out more clearly :thumb:.

I would suggest the Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard, it has all the features needed at a good price and overclocks well.

8GB of RAM is great, just choose a CPU cooler that will not interfere with the RAM (easier to get 2 x 4GB DIMM's).

Due to the Sandy Bridge chips running very cool, even when overclocked, it really comes down to money in my opinion. The Gelid Tranquilo is enough for an overclocked 2500K/2600K and is £25, the Thermaltake Frio is very good (but noisy under full load) and is £37, the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced is also good and is £40-ish and the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro is very good but is over £50. If it was me, I'd go for the Tranquilo (I already have one). Bit-Tech have recently reviewed both the Be Quiet! coolers so have a browse.

The GPU is the tricky one. Any decent gaming GPU will also fulfil any graphics design work you need to do, it boils down to the gaming aspect. You haven't mentioned the games you play but with your budget, you can stretch to a GTX 580 - you won't ever need more for a few years. The trick is getting a quiet one so that it doesn't hurt your ears when not gaming.

6. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Stretch for a 580 Fingers? With a budget between £800 to £1000 for this upgrade I'd say that a 580 or equivalently powered card is par for the course.

With the parts I listed and an extra £73 for Windows 7 the total comes out to £915. That's enough room to replace what I recommended with a more expensive motherboard than the one I mentioned like the Asus Deluxe or Pro, or he could change the cooler to something smaller and possibly get two 2x4GB kits and run 16GB of memory on it and still be in budget. However, if Diesel's not interested in maxing out his budget budget, I would stick with what everyone so far has suggested (gelid tranquillo, asus p8p67 pro/deluxe, etc).

7. DieselPower

DieselPower What's a Dremel?

Dae and Fingers: I was originally going to get the 580, but I'm just thinking of power consumption and noise levels, as those 580 I read can be quite power hungry under load (and I get moaned at for the power consumption of the current setup, which is about 370-90w under load) I was either going to get a 6xxx series AMD Radeon, or just buy a GTX560Ti or 2 and Oc the hell out of it to higher performance levels and wait wait until the 6 series of Nvidia GPUs are released.

SandyBridge sounds perfect though.

8. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

if i was building new right now and had the budget for choice parts,
    cpu: i5 2500k £141
    motherboard: evga p67 $244 (not available in UK yet?)
    gpu: evga gtx580 (hydro) £486
    ram: mushkin blackline 2x4gb £74
    ssd: mushkin calisto 120gb (replace with sata3= ?) £170
    hdd: samsung f3 1TB £33
    cpu cooler: ek supreme hf waterblock £50
    rad: ek 280 £55
    res: phobya balancer £19
    pump: laing ddc + ek replacement top £52 + £15
    fittings: ek 13mm compression £30 (for 10)
    total: £1369
    the water cooling puts you over budget, but might give you an idea about how much. obviously savings can be had by replacing for cheaper brands components, but i like these brands as i've had nothing but good experience from them. i've also listed prices in rough averages, as there is some fluctuation between various etailers.

9. Kvothe666

Kvothe666 What's a Dremel?

CPU: i5 2500k (easily better than i7 2600k as virtually no extra performance but £80 more!)
    CPU cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced
    MOBO: ASUS P8P67 (great for pretty much everything, no point in paying more for pro etc unless you're planning on using dual GPU's)
    RAM: 8gb (2 x 4gb) corsair vengeance
    GPU: evga gtx580 (hydro)