1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards 1155 Motherboard upgrade.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by viewasjack, 17 Aug 2011.

1. viewasjack

viewasjack What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, here the situation.

Basically I've had my current Gigabyte P67 UD4 since they were first released in Febuary. Its still the old model with the dodgy SATA ports, so I emailed the company were I purchased it from and they said I can have a refund, replacement upgrade to a B3 version, or pay the difference on a better model.

What would you guys do? Ive got my eye on a Gigabyte Z68X-UD7 Because I'd only have to pay £150 for it technically. Is there much difference moving between P67 and Z68? I do want to overclock my I52500K too. And the new touch BIOS looks quite nice.

My rig is in my signature. Thanks for the help!

2. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Unless you need the extra features that z68 gives you (onboard gpu, smart cache) then the premium isn't worth paying. My dad has an MSI p67a-gd53 and that is just as good as my asus p8p67 for a little less.

3. Neilc

Neilc Minimodder

Sorry to ask another question but can the Z68 board allow switching between GPU's to save power? because if so I may upgrade as my pc is on all day for work at the moment?

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

That WOULD be worth having! Especialy if it automatically switched when no or little GPU power grunt us required.

5. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

The only Z68 motherboard that showed any better stock performance over P67 boards is the Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z, and no I'm not being a fanboy because I have one. Look at the bit-tech review.

6. Neilc

Neilc Minimodder

Hell I'll switch it myself with a lil linky on the desktop..

7. reggie50

reggie50 Minimodder

iirc, the Z68 chipset can switch between the GPUs but it is very iffy. It would only activate the main GPU if there was a directx call, and would use the integrated for everything else regardless of load/performance. Plus it didn't save any power as the main GPU was kept on all the time.

8. viewasjack

viewasjack What's a Dremel?

I think im just going to take the plunge and grab a UD7. Im upgrading my R3 to a Corsair 650D so its going to look real nice tucked away in one of those. Thanks for the advice anyway guys!