1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit-tech update

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by brumgrunt, 3 Apr 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

Hello!

I promised when I started at Bit-tech that I’d keep you posted with things that I’m up to, so I figured a further update would probably be useful.

Reviews: One thing that came through loud and clear from our recent survey results was that you wanted more reviews, and thus, more reviews you’re going to get. We’ve added one or two more faces to our regular reviewers team, and they’re working away now on getting more products tested. One thing we won’t compromise on, though, is our testing. Thus, we’re not going to review absolutely everything that comes our way, as we’d rather choose interesting products and rigorously test them. We are, nonetheless, upping the number of products that we cover.

Modding: Antony has been hard at work here, and in the past week or two, you might just have noticed one or two projects from the Bit-tech community on the front of the site. Again, this has come from your feedback, and we’ll be showcasing more of your fine work going forward. You’ll already have seen, too, the case mod index that Antony introduced, that means you can get a quicker overview of some of the most interesting projects currently being worked on.

Gaming: Again, we’re increasing our coverage here. The philosophy is the same: we want to do things properly, so we’re not covering everything. But we will be choosing more titles – both PC and console – to take a look at, and we’re also on the lookout for lower profile, interesting titles to cover.

Advertising: I suspect many of you have been following the threads regarding specific adverts that, er, didn’t go down particularly well. The strength of feeling certainly came across loud and clear. When I’m next in Dennis, I’m going to chat to one or two of the ads team about coming onto the forum, either through me or themselves directly. I’m a bit nervous, in all truth: I’m aware that one or two perceive them as evil overlords looking to do nothing but damage, and I don’t particularly want to invite anyone onto the forum just to be shouted at (I’m well aware that the vast majority of members wouldn’t do this). But they’re ready and happy to come and chat, if that’s something you’d all be interested in?

New writers: We’re gradually bringing in a few new writers, and you may have spotted one or two of them already. They’ve all been recruited via the advert we placed on the site earlier this year, and we’ll be bringing a few more in shortly.

Podcast: We hear you. Can’t say more than that at the moment. But the requests for the return of the podcast have been very much noted!

As always, thank you for your support of Bit-Tech, and my own thanks go to the terrific team here. The work they do behind the scenes isn’t always obvious, but it’s very much appreciated, and the site wouldn’t be the same without them.

Thanks again for your support,

Simon

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Enjoying the reviews as they have improved no end! The deluge of news articles is a bit sad though, nothing special to Bit and nearly always a day after it has already started being discussed on the Forums.

I would like to see less 5 minute news articles and more time spent on tech reviews.

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Simon, any chance of introducing a few of the new writers? Even if it's just a sentence on each?

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I never really get round to other sites so even a day late it is still news and since the content comes from a different source its not like its either or. Unless Gareth has a pretty high salary....

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I actually like Gareth's news articles, even if they are later than many other sites - the reason for this is that he isn't just regurgitating info - they are actually well written, insightful and well-researched articles.

Or would you rather go back to the bad old days of 12-18 months ago when all the news items were just regurgitated press releases or summaries of other sites' news?

As for getting the ad team onto the forums - I can understand your concern, Simon. I, for one, certainly don't see them as "evil overlords looking to do nothing but damage" - but as with many ad teams I've worked with in the past, there is probably an overriding focus on generating revenue and less focus on suitability. Perhaps rather than individual members of the ad team, perhaps get the advertising manager here instead?

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I agree with you there Flibble - the news is excellent because it's written rather than a copypasta.

7. brumgrunt

I like Gareth's news pieces, too, and agree entirely: he has something to say, rather than regurgitate a press release. I like that.

The new faces will be introduced in due course!

S

8. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

It all sounds great!

I still have one big problem with you Simon... And it's that you won't stop dieting, we need to introduce you to the wonderful world of the general section and it's holy God of cheesecake! :D

9. brumgrunt

I love cheesecake, but I'm nearing the end of a year-long weight loss quest, and I could happily destroy it all in two days flat!

10. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

mmmm cheese cake... dammit now I want cheese cake,

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The trouble here is one of time zones: the modern technology industry is heavily biased to the US, meaning the majority of major news stories happen when the UK press is tucking into its tea or tucked up in bed. As a result, US sites get the march on us. Some UK sites fix this by having an embedded reporter in the US, others by paying someone to work during the night. Bit-tech fixes it by having an audience willing to wait twelve or so hours.

Don't worry, though: as I don't write reviews for the site, none of the time I spend on news stories is taking anything away from reviews. They're two completely separate things.

Cheers, guys - I try my best.

Hah!