1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post moderation complaint

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by terrorbyt, 20 Apr 2012.

1. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Hi,

I'm new here and joined seeking advice on a new build which I want to build soon but this has been made difficult for several reasons. I have to wait around 18 hours for my post to be moderated which means that by the time it's been posted the thread still appears far down the forum list. By this I mean it isn't being bumped whatsoever so not only am I waiting a long time just to have a couple questions answered, these questions may not even get answered simply because of the age in which I must wait for my posts to be moderated.

Another issue with this is that when I post in someone elses thread (for example the "how important are CPUs in gaming" one in the hardware section, by the time my post has been moderated the thread is on a new page and mine appears on an older page, meaning no one sees my response as it doesn't appear in page 2 until long after page 3 has started.

I understand why posts need to be moderated but it'ts really annoying asking a question in the morning and waiting until late at night to see it's been put up but the thread hasn't been bumped.

Thanks

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I feel your pain mate, but it's the same for everyone and the mods have lives/jobs too. In fact, if you stick around you'll be thankful that the mods are as good as they are on here.

Also, welcome :thumb:

Last edited: 21 Apr 2012
  3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

We (the Mods) appreciate that this is very frustrating, but I'm afraid manual moderation is an obstacle that all new members have to cope with for the first 10 posts. After that their posts are automatically approved.

The reason for this awkward manual moderation process, as has been pointed out before, is to make sure that the forums don't get flooded with spam. While approving this particular post this morning with about 10 others, I also killed five new spam threads and twenty spam posts made in other people's threads. The post-to-spam ratio is generally about 1:3. Trust me: there is a lot of spam you never get to see.

Of course moderation is by volunteers who need to eat, sleep, work, pay some attention to their partners etc. so we are not always able to keep on top of the queue. Most of us live in the UK so due to geographical time differences it ends up being US posters who have to wait longest. We have been trying to recruit more Mods, especially amongst American members, but it is a delicate process; not everyone is a suitable candidate and of those who are, some have declined the offer to join our ranks because they simply don't have that sort of time to spare. Moreover it is a slightly thankless task at times: some members don't like you because you delete their inappropriate posts, close their ranting threads or suspend them for misbehaving; some don't like you purely because they don't do authority, and no matter what you do, you are bound to piss someone off somewhere. Although Specofdust says that the black uniform and riding boots are nice.

So we apologise for the inconvenience --with spam doing as spam does there simply is no way around it. But you are nearly there anyway; after your next post you'll be automatically approved. Meanwhile I'll see if I can expedite that process.

4. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Wow I feel bad for complaining :duh: I had no idea how much spam was posted here. You guys are obviously doing a good job, these forums would be a pile of poo if you had to filter through 3 spam posts to get to each genuine one. Also if I had known it stops after 10 posts I'd have been more patient. Apologies if I sounded rude!

Yes my posts are popping up straight away now, thanks a bunch :)

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

The mods here do a spiffing job that isn't appreciated by many forumites here. As you say, without them, this board would just be one massive pile of spam.

And, just so you're aware: while Spec might wear a black uniform and riding boots, it is a widely accepted fact that Nexxo wears a red dress while moderating this forum. Just something to bear in mind next time you see a post from him ;)

6. Nexxo

Hey, I look hot in a red dress. :p

7. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

pics or it didn't happen :p

Shirty likes this.
  8. Nexxo

[​IMG]

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition. :D

Bogomip, Shirty and Zurechial like this.
  9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I knew NHS privitisation was going to be bad...I never considered they might rerole all the psychologists into "Grand Wizard"'s though.

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Rofl Nexxo. Excellent use, I can see you wearing that getup with a stick-on eyebrow.

11. Nexxo

We are Grand Wizards. It's just that NHS dress code is a bit conservative.

12. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I approve of the direction this thread has taken.

13. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

You know, contrary to the initialism that's become synonymous with mild humor, it's been a long time since I've actually laughed out loud at something on the internet. This thread has restored balance to language.

Thank you Bit-tech. Once again you have delivered.

14. mat0tam

mat0tam Mr I Dont Know What I Want

AGREED

Nexxo's outfit gains the

[​IMG]

15. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

:D

16. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Oh god it's Big Mike!

Oh no wait.

17. asmo

asmo What's a Dremel?

I know exacting what the OP means! I thought is was just if your posts contained: "they contain external links or match common spam words" within the first 10 posts. Every post I've made has no appeared. Like this post typed at 2053hrs on the 23rd April 2012.

18. Nexxo

Nope, it's your first ten posts, regardless of content. As explained above, it's the price you pay for having a spam-free forum. I appreciate that it's frustrating but there is no way around it, sorry.

19. asmo

asmo What's a Dremel?

I understand it. I was just hoping one of my posts would be cleared quicker thats all. And after reading the rules I thought it would be ok.

20. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

I've seen a spammer on another forum make 50 posts in less than 10 minutes.

Do you have ways to fight that?