1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allow selected volunteers to approve new posts

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Ending Credits, 1 Jul 2012.

1. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

It doesn't seem like it's a job with much responsibility nor does it reqire much discretion and I'm sure there are at least a handful of willing members who would be suitable. It would make the moderators lives a bit easier and cause less frustration for new members.

Almost seems like a no-brainer to me.

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I don't suppose the mods will go for this, but I'd be more than happy to allow some genuine posts through.

3. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Again, I doubt it would happen, as you probably need to be down as a form of mod.

I'd be happy to approve some posts though if the chance arose - I'm generally on here most days, even if I don't make my existance known

Apophis54 likes this.
  4. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

It should be easy enough to set up a user group with these priviedges but without the rest of the moderator priviledges although I'm not intimate with vBulletin so I don't know.

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Im a bit of a noob on the moderatory/user group side, but AFAIK you need full mod privileges to do it, as you have to log in through vbulletin to get into the moderation queue.

I understand that a bit of spam has gotten through in the last day, as the email list on my Blackberry is a tad long, I've been busy so far this weekend and not really had a chance to get around to clearing it, though I'm sure my fellow mods have. If you report the posts they well be destroyed. Worry not. We take pride in the lack of spam on the forums, hence why we have the approval system, which catches 99% of it.

The approval process is actually fairly quick and easy for us, just sometimes the wrong button can be pressed and a load of trash gets accidentally approved. It only takes about 2 mins a couple of times a day.

Cheers for the understanding fellow forumites.

:thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Jul 2012
  6. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

This has been discussed before Nexxo has already said that it's not possible to grant only some of the moderator powers privileges it's all or nothing so Nexxo said.

Last edited: 1 Jul 2012
    Apophis54 likes this.
  7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Afraid so. I think it's a great idea but technically impossible to implement.

8. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Oh no, that wasn't the problem I had. I was just under the impression that it was fairly tedious although my main problem is that it seems to take a while which might put off some potential members.

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

It's taken care of nigh on every day, generally several times per day. I understand new member's desire to see their posts show up immediately, but it's hardly a gigantic request to ask that people be willing to wait for a few hours to a day for their posts to show up for the first 10.

edit: I'd also add that one of the more time consuming parts of the process is figuring out who is spamming, and who, a having not read the FAQ, has posted their first thread or posts multiple times because when it doesn't show up the first time, they write it all out again and post once more, and once more, etc.

Last edited: 1 Jul 2012
  10. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Well personally I consider a few hours to a day to be excessive. It would put me off anyway.

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Oh it's not hours, it's minutes individually. Most of the time it's a 30 second thing, it's rarely more than 5 minutes, and never more than 15.

12. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I'be suggested similar things in the past but I don't think it's viable as mentioned.

Apophis54 likes this.
  13. Nexxo

The spam (I alone deleted 12 this morning from the moderation queue) would put you off more.

14. malbluff

malbluff What's a Dremel?

Whilst I'm a new member, and appreciate the need for posts, from us newbies, to be checked, before appearing, it does get a bit frustrating after waiting FOUR days for that. By the time they do appear, if there's that sort of delay, the discussion can have moved on, and the post looks totally out of context. If there is a reason for a delay, it would be very helpful to have some way, to find out. Otherwise, you're left wondering "has it been lost?"
    :wallbash:

15. Nexxo

Just not enough moderators around at the moment, I'm afraid.

I just checked 77 posts, of which 56 were passed, and 21 were deleted as spam.

EDIT: this morning's catch (Saturday 4th August): 48 posts, of which 7 passed and 41 spam.

Last edited: 4 Aug 2012
  16. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I can't believe that there's no way to improve things. As ever, I appreciate the need for the approval system but it doesn't seem like bit currently has the resources to run it effectively.

17. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

You can assign a group of users access to the moderation panel and then assign that user only the permissions to do certain tasks, however as the posts could appear in any forum, that user needs to be able to moderate posts in EVERY forum, or they'd just be able to view the pending moderation requests but do nothing about it.

18. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Is there any way a pop up box could be implemented for new members, that simply says "Thanks for contributing, please wait while we approve your post (This process could take up to 24h)" so that new members, who do reply, and don't see their own message, don't repeat, their messages.

Sam

19. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

From the rules:

20. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Just to provide some more context around Nexxo's post, at 2pm today, a midweek day.

I deleted 21 posts/threads
    Banned 6 people (spam)
    Approved 5 new posts (none of which had been in the queue more than 3 or 4 hours)