1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Glass Chassis Machining

Discussion in 'Modding' started by kuala, 1 Sep 2014.

1. kuala

kuala What's a Dremel?

Hi guys.

I am looking into having 3 fairly large (650mm approx) sheets of glass cut into rhombus/rhomboid shapes for the window and a large part of the construction of a scratch build I may do.

Does anyone know of anywhere I could have these cuts done cleanly in Kent/London?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Kuala

Last edited: 1 Sep 2014
  2. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

Cutting straight lines in glass is pretty straightforward. I've trimmed down mirrors before with a glass cutter. Glass cutters are inexpensive and I'm sure there are guides out since you've never done it before. You just score a line in the glass with a cutter and snap the piece in two. You may want to practice a bit with smaller pieces but as long as the glass isn't too thick it's not difficult.

3. asura

asura jack of all trades

With sheets that size I'd prefer a professional to make the cut - dig out your yellow pages and look for glaziers and people who do mirrors (whatever the hell they're called) as they'll generally give you a bevelled edge as well which is a boon for handling.

4. kuala

kuala What's a Dremel?

Similarly to what asura said I am not confident making such big cuts on somewhat thick glass with chances of micro-cracks and such.

Yellow Pages are probably a good start but I was wondering if anyone knew/could recommened anyone who they may have used before/know.

Thanks for the out anyway!

P.S. Baby Moon turned out beautifully!

5. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

The below company is both in Kent AND (Greater) London :D

Chelsfield Glass Ltd
    Glass Supplier in Orpington

19 Windsor Drive
    Orpington
    Kent
    BR6 6EY

T: 01689 862 419

You could give them a bell and have a chat. The business has been there forever and must be fairly decent to have weathered the recession. Think my family have used them a couple of times over the years.

6. kuala

kuala What's a Dremel?

Thank you very much Fizzban!

When I get the project going (may be some time) I will contact them.

Thanks again!