1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony takes a massive lead in VR charge, TrendForce claims

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 20 Dec 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

... Has made up some numbers again. You would have equally valid number consulting the Magic 8-Ball.

3. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

it is hardly what I'd consider to be surprising news. It is cheaper and requires a PS4, which is a fraction the cost of a gaming PC, much less a "VR-ready" one. Heck, I think the PS4 is cheaper than just a VR-suited video card. Add the populace at large's general preference for dedicated consoles over more general-purpose machines, and... the end result is obvious.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yeah, that's in the article. Opening paragraph:
    The more interesting thing, I think, is the prediction that Oculus will shoot out ahead of HTC in 2017 to sell twice as many units. From chatter on the ground, I was of the impression that the Vive was the more popular of the two.

5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Market projections that espouse the status quo don't draw much attention.

On a less cynical note, with all the money Facebook has put into VR sooner or later they are going to make a big marketing push to get headsets into use for things other than gaming. Whether that's 'VR esperiences,' industrial application or aggressive price cuts I wouldn't like to guess, but they won't want to have it be a thing they do in the background for long.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Would not be a big suprise if psvr had a decent sales lead.

7. mrbluesguy

mrbluesguy What's a Dremel?

I believe the Vive was winning the popularity war because it launched with tracked motion controllers. Now that Touch is out Oculus have turned the corner. Having used both my own opinion is that Rift + Touch is just that little bit better in every area except roomscale where it works but is more fiddly (and more costly if you go three sensor) to get right than with the lighthouse tracking system.

8. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

The Vive also had a bit of an advantage in that Valve was pushing it in Steam. All the major VR headsets available are pretty tightly focused on games, so selling Vive at THE place to buy PC games is going to give it an edge over everything else that isn't a Playstation accessory.