1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft confirms Windows 10 Game Mode plans

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 16 Jan 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Maybe this will fix the problems people have reported with UWP (Windows Store) games.

3. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

so i can expect no interruptions etc, except the ones telling me that i must upgrade to windows 11 now....and i cant continue my windows gaming experience until I click OK!

4. dstarr3

dstarr3 What's a Dremel?

Unless the update closes the Windows Store and moves all of its games over to Steam, the change isn't enough.

5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I'll file that thought under L for LOL.

Microsoft would better serve us all by simply not selling games through their storefront. I understand the desire to set up an Apple style walled garden, but they are so horrendously bad at it and the competition so strong that they will never succeed.

Windows 10, it's account system and UWP are turning out just like Game For Windows Live but on a much grander scale. Everyone except Microsoft seems to be wise to it this time around.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Am I missing something stark or is this something that Windows has done since Vista? IE - you can disable effects like Aero and transparency ETC to save on ram and so on when you are in a game?

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

^What greigaitken said. 99% of why I upgraded was GWX black-screening me in games. I had to sit and wait for the random popup for the day, or uninstall it and pray it didn't reinstall mid game. -Which it did several times.
    What are the odds that it includes disabling that resource-sucking pig Cortana?

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Zero.

Companies have a far too big hard on for trying to trick us into talking to their devices, its the new fad after they spent years flooding us with traps to share things on social media by accident.

9. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

still find it interesting why uninstalling it was not enough (never was a problem here, just had to make sure that recommend updates was turned off as that is where the GWX came from)

problem with turning off recommended updates now on windows 7 is it is preventing the new windows update that fixes the issue that takes 4-7 hours to check for updates (takes only 10 minutes now on a first gen Intel atom CPU if you have below updates installed)

1 Windows6.1-KB3020369
    2 Windows6.1-KB3138612
    3 Windows6.1-KB3172605
    4 Windows6.1-KB3145739

make sure you boot up the system with network disabled so windows update is not checking for updates (as it cause the above updates to take hours to install as it waits for windows update to finish checking for updates before it install the above files) you may already have most of the above updates installed

if you check for updates and you see the peak CPU usage switching between svchost and trusted installer and ram use below 1GB on svchost you already have the updates installed (if not svchost can use up to 3-4GB of ram or try to and constant CPU use )