1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Attila's Cor Leonis water-cooled scratchbuild is finished

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 8 Dec 2012.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I think there was an issue with the forum comment link hence lack of comments! Fixed now - sorry Attila!

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Noticed that, my favorite latest news article in a while on here. :)

Man it's a beauty. :dremel::hip::rock:

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Naah, we're all just still: :eeek: :jawdrop: :brrr:

In about a week we'll snap out of it and actually say something. Incoherent.

5. Eldorado

Eldorado Needs new glasses..

Incredible!

6. blinkieleblind

blinkieleblind Tings and such

one of the most incredible designs i have seen.

7. S1W1

S1W1 Minimodder

Stunning.

8. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Am I the only one who finds the slight angle of the short middle pipe in the cooling loop really, really annoying?

Love the build though...
    What kind of cost goes in to a build like this, excluding actual PC components?

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@SchizoFrog - I think he got a deal on scrap if I remember correctly, and there was a lot of leftovers from the previous builds... So time and maybe a little skin off the fingers?

10. Player-x

Player-x What's a Dremel?

If you can do everything/most things your self, then actually its not that extremely expensive, if your gone count the man-hours, then you talk about at least a four zero figure.

Lets say you pay a company € 25/hour (what is real cheap €40~€50 is more realistic), times 100 hours (its properly a lot more, looking at all the work and the detail), then is € 2500 a starting price for this case, but it would be more likely around €5000 to €7000.

Its a unique build, so you cant compare it with of the shelf cases, not even the likes like the Silverstone TJ11.

@Attila, excellent craftsmanship, cant find anything miss with it. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I can definitely see a 3rd MOTY here.

12. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the feedback people. I wasn't asking from a 'buyer's' perspective but rather from a 'modder's' perspective. Not counting the tools, equipment and obviously the components, what, if any, is an average costing for the materials needed to craft a case, especially a high-end detailed one such as this? Maybe it's too much of an ambiguous question...

13. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

+1 now you mention it; it's all I can see :)

14. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

This project has to be one of the coolest designs I have ever seen. I would be proud to sport this thing on my desk.

I'm just completely speechless, with the exception of this post. :)

Incredible work!

15. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

This was discussed quite a bit in the build thread actually. And I agree, if this were my case that would bother me, but its not my case and its still a pure Cheesecake build.

16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@Schizo - Oh. Again- It depends on what you use and if it's cheap locally. For instance, one of my builds cost about $50, and another $900. -Just for case materials. The cheap one was mostly the cost of screws and rivets.
    One of the amazing things about this build is that Attila used tools that could be had for about $100 total in the US.

-Sorry about the thread derail. I could go on all day on the subject.:worried:

17. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks for the nice words regarding the case. :thumb:

On the question of costs. I don't know what this cost. As cheaps has said though, most of the aluminium in the build is left over from the previous build. That's not to say I didn't have to spend money. Paint, anodising, screws (those black ones were horrendously expensive, iirc they cost seventy five bucks), those w/c fittings that are so expensive and lots of other things I can't even remember at the moment. But it was all going fine till I lost my job and then I had to virtually stop spending on this. Again as cheaps has noted, tooling costs don't really matter, most of the more frequently used tools I've had for years, and they can all be had for less than a hundred bucks. Just a jigsaw, hacksaw, drill and bits and a bunch of hand files.

Regarding the link from CPU to GPU; Like a lot of other things with this project, I've had to scale things back due to lack of finances. The original idea (after I threw out making my own blocks), was with more plumbing and a more symmetrical look (details in the log). I'm not too happy about a lot things but I also wanted to finish this. It's been around far too long. :hehe:

On a more positive note, I still have heaps of alu left over for something else in the future.

18. faxiij

faxiij Minimodder

Really stunning. The dedication that goes into your builds Attila.... From where I'm standing, you might as well get a fu**ing hall of fame just for yourself. I am sure, this is a top contender for MotY and anyone else nominated should be 'shitting their pants', so to speak ;)

Still. Seeing as you raise the bar to a place none has ever been, the level and detail of critique equally sees it's bar risen. And if I have to be completely honest, I can't stop but feel you should be slapped for covering up a piece of beauty. Those innards are a piece of art. Yet they are covered up in a way that is not even close to being up par with the rest of the build (front aside, that front piece is exceptional!).

Right now, looking at that sideshot with the side on, I can't even find a way to like the lines. It does feel a bit, like you drew the Mona Lisa and then put a hand-sewn towel over her. Or took Miss Universe and put a Paperbag over her Head. But of course, taste is subjective and I might just be spoiled that everything else is just a 110%.

Still, this is just so much win. I guess what I'm trying to say, shed those pics with the sidepanels on and focus on the inside. That's where this is a true winner to me.

19. SXRguyinMA

SXRguyinMA What's a Dremel?

I love clicking on the project log link to only be given a shitty pop up ad. No wonder why this site is going downhill so fast.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

This site is free. You didn't think it runs on pixie dust, did you? :p

Tags: Add Tags