1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Kingston announces HyperX Cloud headset

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 29 Apr 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Diversifying their product range seems like a good call, so long as they make decent products anyway.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Was it just me that groaned when i read about a Cloud headset, only to discover it's got nothing to do with the cloud, or does it store something in the cloud ? talk about confusing :confused:

4. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

I rolled my eyes Corky. I immediately decided it would be a no-buy, and if it was truly cloud related then it would be a liability with regards security. They need to ditch the 'cloud', as everyone should.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It just plugs in with a pair of 3.5mm plugs; the 'Cloud' moniker refers to the soft, floaty memory-foam earcups, nothing to do with server-side software!

6. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Now that I know that these aren't actually cloud related (apart from name), it makes me wonder how you could actually have cloud headsets? You could potentially fit a little raspberry pi-type device in them and play soundcloud tracks etc.. If it wasn't for the security, that could be a lot of fun!

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

@Gareth, That make more sense, thanks. Although it does make me wounder how many people will make the same mistake as me (unless I'm being dense that is)

Are some people going to see the 'Cloud' moniker and think security risk and dismiss them offhand without giving them a second look, while others that think a Cloud related headset would be cool dismiss them once they find out they don't come with server-side functions.

Seem a little like a marketing boo boo, maybe they should have called them something like the
    HyperX Mr. Stay Puft headset :D

8. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

"Was it just me that groaned when i read about a Cloud headset, only to discover it's got nothing to do with the cloud, or does it store something in the cloud ? talk about confusing :?"

Ermmmm..... It's only confusing if you associate the word cloud with cloud computing.

Anyways, I really want to try these. The build quality appears to be top notch, reminds me a couple beyerdynamic cans. The headset market really needs something good that is affordable. I'm really tired of people buying these bulky hunks of plastic that razor/astro/trittan try to pass off as headphones. I've yet to try anything from them that didn't feel like cheap, bulky, and sound terrible.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

When talking about computers don't most people associate the word cloud with cloud computing, the first few pages in Google tend to associate it with that.

Quote button :confused:

10. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Nope not just you, I think the marketing department was probably let loose with their book of buzzwords.

11. Gareth Halfacree

If anyone's interested in buying one, I've just had an email from Kingston saying that the UK RRP - which wasn't in the original press release - will be £89.99. With pre-order prices averaging at around £70, that means buying now will save a not-inconsiderable chunk of change. Cheapest I've found is Saverstore at £65.60 plus delivery.

12. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

THIS!

It's usually good if a product's name tells you what the product is. I associate the HyperX brand with memory, and cloud with servers, so my initial thought was that this was some new server memory. Clearly I'm not the only one having this problem.