1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Planetside 2 - Massive Combat on an Epic Scale

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by RedManc, 17 Feb 2012.

1. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

So I did a search for Planetside in these forums and couldn't find much but the odd post.

I've been playing Planetside for 6+ years now and we're close to the beta of the recreation of this MMOFPS Classic.

Quickly then, Planetside is a team based fps and a giant scale, this new version of the game is looking the face the original three empires against each other on maps which are huge!, a base is rumoured to be the size of a battlefield map and there are at least 8+ bases on each continent with LOTS of space inbetween, so there is some scale for you.
    I'm talking 1000 vs 1000 vs 1000 on a single map here people!

But what use is talking when there are videos and screenies.

http://www.planetside2.com/ The official site

http://www.planetside-universe.com/ The only real active fansite from the original planetside.

Does anyone still play PS? Have you signed up for BETA?

:rock::rock:

2. JPClyde

JPClyde What's a Dremel?

Looks like MAG to my but on a grander scale. I may give it a try once it's released.

3. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

My buddy played the 1st one and thoroughly enjoyed it. We are both waiting patiently for the second, seems like it would be hella fun. Large open scale action looks great too.

4. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

I've never played Planetside but there with my ever growing boredom of current MMOs maybe this style is the one to get me interested again.

With the likes of Planetside, Firefall and Tribes Ascend all making an appearance some time in the near future, it's looking bright for the F2P shooter style MMO. Tribes might not be an MMO in the true sense of the word but at least I can get my hit of large scale combat outside of battlefield.

Even if the all turn out to be rubbish at least they are free to try.

Bring it on I say.

5. ZxH800

ZxH800 What's a Dremel?

I remember attempting to play the original on my old computer but it never seemed to work! It kept on crashing, sadly I never got round to playing it when I did get a proper computer and a decent internet connection. Maybe I'll give this one a go, it certainly sounds interesting.

6. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

The first one was decent, but it was quite ahead of its time - perhaps too early for its own good. Most brits were still on crappy dial up at that time, which was an issue for a game like that. (ie: ping dependant and played only on US servers too I think). Sequel is promising though, although personally I'll be busy playing Arma3.

7. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

I got a trial but could not get into it really....but i did not like the graphics at the time, hopefully the new one will be better.

I signed up a few week ago, havent heard anything.

8. Phillthy

Phillthy What's a Dremel?

9. Fraze

Fraze Minimodder

Has anyone been watching the coverage of PS2 at E3 by totalbiscuit? it's gone F2P and will be financed by selling of gear that can be unlocked through in-game progression (so if you've got the cash you'll get a degreee of advantage) and visual changes (camo etc).

The game is looking pretty damn awesome and beta should be hitting the ground in the next 1-2 months.

10. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Just spotted this, was watching some of the coverage at E3 on my phone.

Battlefield 3 eat your heart out.

11. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I'd never heard of it until a few weeks ago. Really liked the video of the ships flying over the planet.

12. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I used to play this religiously when it first came out. Then they stuffed it up with the expansion packs. Even ran my own, semi-famous Outfit on Werner. :)

13. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza What's a Dremel?

I reckon this will fail. All mmo fail unless its wow

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

14. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Unlikely it will fail, the first one is still played and it came out in 2003.

WoW is for E-tards. It's the ultimate casual convention for people who strive to be like normal out-going folk but can't accept the nerd in them lol.

15. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Yea things like EVE online are doing pretty rubbish :rolleyes: its only lasted at least 9 yrs so far......

Awesome it will be free to play! I assumed it would be subscription like the 1st, I have always liked the whole concept of Planetside.

16. JPClyde

JPClyde What's a Dremel?

Some MMOs only fail because people want something new and different to play, but when it's not like WOW they don't like it, that's why Rift has been so going strong.

17. feathers

feathers Minimodder

What's WOW? Is it that cutesy pay and pay again game with mario 3d style graphics?

18. Fraze

Fraze Minimodder

Yeah I seriously doubt it will fail.

I actually re-installed and have been playing PS1 for the last couple of weeks; have been having an absolute blast.

Phalanx what was your outfit called? I was in INI Elite on Werner if you remember them?

Last edited: 8 Jun 2012
  19. Voluntary_Pariah

Voluntary_Pariah a Real Man™

Personally I think that Planetside 2 has the potential to outlive WoW. The game potentially appeals to both the CoD crowd (who can run around the bases and installations to their hearts content) and the BF3 crowd (who use a bit more strategy). Plus it is free to play and skill based, two things that tend to attract the hard core gaming community.

Don't forget that the original Planetside has been running since 2003 and still has a very dedicated (if much reduced) community.

20. Fraze

Fraze Minimodder

WoW is declining now - I played from beta until the end of last year and it's a serious shadow of what it used to be.

Most people I played with have quit and gone on to other things.