1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xi3's Piston product plagued by controversy

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 13 Mar 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

So no Valve support and hideous expense, bye bye XI3....

3. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

The plot thickens :)

4. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I always felt this was some distance away from the "SteamBox" anyway.

5. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

Xi3: hey Valve, heard you making a console
    Valve: yeah but we dont do hardware
    Xi3: lets team up
    Valve: cool, I'll send a guy round with some details

Valve: Hey, heard you teamed up with the enemy
    Xi3: It's not that simple
    Valve: This is not cool

6. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Who's the enemy?

Remind me again who Valve makes the majority of it's money running on?

7. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

"Steam if you choose, but you'll also be able to access other platforms as well"

8. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I think they just jumped the gun and started shouting too much before Valve was quite ready. I understand why valve would want to step away after they kept name dropping them so much.

Have a little decorum dudes.

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I remember hearing rumours that the steambox would be a converted slim line alienware machine, something similar to their X51 system, and considering ubuntu's links with dell... steamOSbuntu lol!

10. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Thought dell stopped giving the option having Ubuntu as os

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Sounds like they were making too much noise and then probably got a little too much bad press when they said what the price was going to be.. Makes sense for Valve/Steam to distance themselves.

12. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

During CES I tweeted

My SATA cables are safe it would seem :)

13. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Looks to me like Valve paid Xi3 to make a prototype steam box, Xi3 starting making noise and saying they had investment from valve (to make a prototype) and Valve said "You've made too much noise and we don't want your box, bye"

14. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

For me Steam Box died at the point EA took their stuff off. I know a lot of EA games are trash anyway but for it to succeed it needs to be able to play every pc game which is to say every console port. You're never going to get it on Linux and plowing dev time into it is a bit of a waste of time imo. I mean they're trying to open the whole industry up which is a good thing but it's just too much of a long shot by the looks of it.

15. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

I can see the appeal of it. Not saying I'll get one (I don't even have the right sort of TV to hook it up to), but I understand where they're coming from. Will it get tons of AAA games? Not likely...but I've got tons of games on Steam (and from Humble Bundles) that could or already have Linux ports.

Depends on the type of gamer you are, I suppose - I still play the old GTA games, VC and SA, on occasion, and Saints Row III was a blast, but a lot of what I play aren't console fodder.

At the same time, I seriously doubt I'd drop that kind of money on a SteamBox. Sure, it's kinda sexy, but not for a casual gaming box when I could build one for a third the cost (it'd be bigger and whatnot...but I don't have that kind of money to piss down my leg.)

16. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Maybe Valve decided to distance itself because of the price-point being so high? It seems most people are saying stuff like "$1,000 ... Erm, no.". I wonder if Valve had no say in how much Xi3 sells the Piston for and thought that the bad publicity would do them harm?

Also, seems peculiar timing that so many got the push at Valve HQ, and now Valve distance itself from what appeared to be their nearest partner in SteamBox dealings.

17. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Xi3: "We made a 'steambox' it is 1000 dollars"
    Me: "hmmmz, very expensive for basic PC hardware"
    Xi3: "No its not expensive, you can connect to Valve's steam for your games and also to Origin and others"
    Me: "So you made a expensive Slimline PC, with low specs that can connect to internet"
    Xi3: "Well ehm...... yes"

18. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

It's more then just a steam box, I'll give them that. I didn't realize before now it was running Windows.

It's just a tiny PC. The form factor is interesting, the low end APU hardware for $1000 not so much.

19. musicrab

musicrab What's a Dremel?

Let me get this right. One variant of Steambox is Linux. What percentage of Steam's catalogue is Linux and what percentage is Windows? Actually I can try and answer that. Steam has 164 Linux games on file and 6467 are windows. So what chance do Valve have of changing that balance before Steamboxes are born?

I'm not saying the Valve are wasting their time with a Linux gaming platform but its hardly main-stream nor is it likely to be main-stream any time soon.

20. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Gabe has said that the smaller variant will be able to receive streamed content delivered by our full PCs. Therefore I could install these in at least 3 rooms including 2 bedrooms plus living room, and stream from my home office. The smaller variants will run Linux. I'm not sure the mission is to a tip a balance - more so to make it happen, make it convenient and affordable.