1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

I just wanted to get the ball rolling on my new project, give you an overview of what I hope to end up with and relay my thoughts on the new Lian Li V1000 case.
    First off, having had two Lian Li cases in the past. I can tell you this case is by far the best built I have seen (the world solid comes to mind). The side panels are VERY thick, and have a ribbed edge I had not noticed in any of the review's pictures I read. The ribbing reminds me of the edge of a US quarter, very nice touch. As I am sure you all know this case has it's PSU located at the bottom, so everything is backwards. When I first pulled off a side panel to get a look inside, I found myself stairing at the motherboard mounting panel (I will need time to get used to this thing!).
    After finally getting inside, it is pure Lian Li. Clean design and well laid out. It has mountings for 6 hard drives! I am not sure who would need 6 HD's, but I do not. All that hard drive mounting hardware is coming out to make way for water cooling gear. Now I am getting ahead of myself.

This machine will be my gaming rig. It will be water cooled (all Innovatek) AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 (or whatever is out when I complete the case work).
    SATA RAID 0 Hard drives and of course the best video card I can get my hands on (perhaps PCI Express will be out).

Is far as case mods go. I will be removing the HD mounting gear to make way for the water cooling equipment. I have no plans to paint the interior, instead I will be mounting a thin diamond plate panel on the drive bay area and floor panel where the PSU wires pass-through. (If I dislike the look of the diamond plate, I will go with acrylic). Either Smoked or Mirror finish. The whole drive bay area will get recessed slightly into the case and receive a smoked acrylic panel (DVD drive; 4 line LCD; and toggle switch area). All Black wiring and Red cold cathode and LEDS. Mount the "very cool" Innovatek Fass-O-Matic H20 Reservoir (which I should get today) on the top panel of the case (I need to get a holesaw) and some sort of pattern for the side window (anything but square) in the same smoked acrylic. As with all mods. Details subject to change.

I should start "hacking" in a few days. A few case pictures and shot of my Martix Orbital 4-line to get things started.

NARCISSUS: Son of the River Cephissus. He discovered his image in a pool of water and fell in love with himself. Unable to find consolation, he died of sorrow by the same pool..
    MS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Jan 2006
  2. gLoopy

gLoopy What's a Dremel?

I'm looking forward to this badboy.

3. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

need to do it without the spaces after and before the . The project looks like it will be great, cant wait to see it finished :thumb:

JEEVES

4. modsquad

Thanks, I was wondering what I did wrong.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Jun 2004
  5. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Minimodder

What model Lian-Li case is that? I've never seen them do one with curved edges. It is a nice looking case. :thumb:

6. LabRat1

LabRat1 What's a Dremel?

/me likes your case
    I love how they make such good use of airflow in that case be care full not to mess it up :dremel:

7. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

This thing looks SWEET.

8. modsquad

It's a V1000B (they also have the larger V2000). It is a relatively new product. I am not sure how long they have been available.
    MS

9. modsquad

Got my Innovatek Fass-0-Matic today. It's looks great BUT now I need more tools. The hex-head bolts on top are metric and I will need to find a metric hole saw. A US 2 1/2" looks to be close, but. The metric hex-wrenchs are no problem, but it looks like I may have trouble finding a metric hole saw in the states.
    Set-backs, Set-backs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Jun 2004
  10. modsquad

Started Work

I did some work this morning. Hacked out all those un-needed hard drive mounting brackets. I now have plenty of room for my H20 cooling pump/radiator.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This case has a very strange intake fan mounting bracket (held in place with two thumb screws). I am not sure if will be able to use it with my Innovatek 120mm radiator, we will see.
    [​IMG]

I also replaced the stock power switch with a vandal (hole is the same size, no drilling!). I do not think I will use the vandal's LED though. The stock power/HD LED's are very,very small (perhaps 1mm) and the power on LED is blue. I will have all red lighting and do not want a blue LED, so I replaced the power and HD LED's with 5mm chrome clips. The front drive-bay area will get a smoked acrylic cover held inplace with stainless hex-head bolts, so a little extra chrome in the lower section should work well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

o0o i liek the look of this one adn cant wait to see how it turns out.
    Seems as though the bottom section would be perfect for the water cooling that you are planning! and also segments it from the rest of the case!
    Keep up the good work and we need more pics w/ diff angles.

12. R@Mo

R@Mo What's a Dremel?

That's an awesome looking case even before you begin modding it! The red theme should turn out real nice in the end! :thumb:

Mod on! :dremel:

13. robotguy9000

robotguy9000 What's a Dremel?

jeez, how much did that thing cost?!?!?! :jawdrop:

14. modsquad

It was $200US. I am very happy with this case, it's very well made (the best I have seen from Lian Li). Thick,thick side panels and cool sliding/locking thumbscrew mounting.
    This is a larger picture of the side panel. It will give you a idea of it's thickness and also the ribbing on the edge.
    http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v281/jeffrey9/sidepanel.jpg

MS

15. modsquad

No, hacking tonight. Doing H20 cooling research.
    [​IMG]
    I am worried about EMI shielding with my Eheim 1046 pump. I emailed Mr.PUG over the big pond about purchasing a AQUA COMPUTER FULL METAL JACKET (cool name>>). It's a emission shield for the 1046. The only US retailer is http://snt-systems.com/catalog/index.php and they only do PAYPAL (I would have to send them a money order). This thing is form/function, makes the Eheim 1046 look cool and keeps your PC from crashing due to EMI.
    I did order a Innovatek 120mm raidator/mounting brackets. I will be off work for the big (USA) holiday, so like or not you will get new pictures/info over the weekend.
    MS

16. modsquad

Reservoir Installed

I got some work done on BN yesterday. I installed the Innovatek Fass-O-Matic H20 Reservoir. I ended up using the Dremmel for the job, is I could not find the correct size (metric) hole saw.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It turned out well. I still say the Innovatek Reservoir is the best looking on the market (aqua-computer also makes a nice one).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That will do it for now. The Radiator is up next.

Last edited: 10 Aug 2004
  17. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

The innovatek is a plain copy of the aquacomputer one (unless they're made by the same people and rebranded)

Looking lovely.

18. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

looks really nice, good job on the resivour... :D

Where did you get the resivour? I searched all around the net and could not find any sellers selling it...

Last edited: 3 Jul 2004
  19. SMOVE

SMOVE What's a Dremel?

Looks really nice, but i would have used the original aqua-computer aquatube ;) :hehe:

20. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

good job! very clean cut on that top panel!