1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD Quad Core CPUs arrive in August

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 29 Jun 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Looking forward to this... I'm planning my next system to be a drop-in upgrade to an AM2+ Barcelona.

3. RedDethX

RedDethX What's a Dremel?

Awesome!:D

4. coniferous

coniferous What's a Rotary Power Tool?

I'm really hoping that more games become multi threaded, I know its not straightforward for the programmers - but if processor development keeps on heading in this direction...

I thought AMD was creating a technology where it would figure out a way to let one thread's math be spread accross two cores? Was i loosing it?

5. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

A new AMD chipset motherboard, then 1 of these babys. i can't wate:cooldude:

6. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

surly comparing the opterons to the C2D range is a bit stupid? it should be compared to the clovertown xeons (Xeon 53XX) series, which are already quad core etc etc, as well as the upcomming (when ever it is??) release of the one after clovertown based around the 45nm core and on die memory controller (much like the new Itaniums from intel)

7. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Now I have got to see Barcelona's performance claims substantiated in the enterprise world. AMD's primary market, it appears, is the server market. If the Barcelona is as big of a success as Sledgehammer and Barton (oh, we remember the wildfire popularity they caused in the enterprise world), we could should be in for one hell of a ride come the Agena derivatives!

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The press release just mentions Opterons, but Phenoms should be around the same time. Either/Or, they are both Barcelona and it will directly compete with Intel's Quad Cores.

On die memory for Intel isn't expect until Nehalem next summer.

9. KMS-oul

KMS-oul You think you know me.

Cant wait to see these tested and hopefully they will live to the hype. However I'll prob end up getting a Quad core 2 when the price drop happens soon.

10. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

NOT everyone runs Intel!:naughty:

11. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I run Premiere and After Effects all the time, both of which are fully multi-threaded.

Mmmmmm. Bacon.

Phil

12. DrFreeze

DrFreeze What's a Dremel?

what i want to know is... what will these things end up costing on launch?

if i can pick up a Q6600 for ~€266 from the 22nd of july, then what will a 2.0 GHz quad core amd cost me in august? The way i figure there is no way AMD can compete on price/performance with intel, even with barcelona. If 2.0 is the best they can do in august, they would have to sell their top end desktop chips for ~$250 for them to come close to being competetive with intel.

Either way, if they do end up launching at low-low prices, and performance doesnt end up sucking, i might not get a Q6600 and switch back to AMD instead, but im not holding my breath

13. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Bindi, dont the current/soon to be done Itaniums have onboard memory controllers? Also, does Nahlem actuall conform to the 45nm shrink / 8 cores etc?

14. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

I make no speculations for or against it - as the men over at XS says - one thing matters, performance. If it gets asshandled, then it'll be a laughing stock like the HD2900s. If it dominates, than this will be just like when the Core 2's crashed the AMD64 scene.

15. pumpman

pumpman Minimodder

it is supposed to be more energy efficient though and cooler than c2d which in business enviroment would be good and green too

16. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

you're not losing it...i remember that rumor too. I think, though, soon after the rumor surfaced, AMD made a statement saying that it was false.

17. Fiber4now

Fiber4now Don't feed the trolls

I believe you are speaking of reverse hyperthreading where some one claimed AMD was working on a process that would allow a fully working logic unit to dump some of the executions to idle logic units. All most the same thing that Intel was doing with Hyperthreading but Intel added logic units to do so.

What you are describing is fine multithreading where software is written to divide the workload between core equally. fine multithreading such as the Povray test can take advantage of more than one core and the work output scales. Scaling means that instead of doing the work of 100% of the single cores clock cycles dual cores or more can do 200% of the work that a single core can do.

18. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

45nm Phenom sounds like a good jump for me......cause I've got 90nm right now.... man do I love Moore's Law!

Tags: Add Tags