1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Asus P6T - Anything I should know?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mr_whitey, 3 Mar 2010.

1. mr_whitey

mr_whitey What's a Dremel?

Im going to be putting together an Intel i7 920/930 build soon and i think im going to use the Asus P6T motherboard, ive been looking around for a while and this board seems to do what i want and in my price range ( i cant go any highter really).

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this board and could tell me the does and dont of it and if anyone had any warnings? For example if the layout is such that some fans/heatsinks will not fit ect

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Yes.

It's awesome!

No problems here. Got a TRUE as a cooler, and a GTX295 in it.. no RAM fitting problems as a result... and I use Dominator RAM, so they're not small either.

Best board I've ever had.

3. ./^\.Ace./^\.

./^\.Ace./^\. What's a Dremel?

I have two i7 920 computers using the ASUS P6T mother board and I can tell you it is a great board. More then enough conections for SATA, USB and Fans. The Bios is easy to use and well layed out. It has good clearance for many pars. I like this board so much I'm now working on a third i7 920/930 computer that will have an ASUS P6T...

@ Pookeyhead
    I think he is refuring to the base model P6T not the Deluxe version but the layout is still almost the same other then one of the PCIe slots is switched with one of the PCI slots.

4. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

YES there is something you should know.... they are great! using the Titan Fenrir....

i have the SE version, no regrets, 4Ghz 24/7!

look on my profile for photo's

5. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I have my i7 930 and Asus P6T Deluxe arriving tomorrow, so I'll let you know how I get on with the build. I built my brothers i7 rig a few weeks ago, which was with a P6T SE mobo, and that was the smoothest and easiest build from scratch that I've ever done.

6. Nodule

Nodule What's a Dremel?

I had a P6T Deluxe v2 - nice board but it lasted about 6 months before failing. It might well have been a bad board so there was no wailing and gnashing of teeth (well not much) but personally I was disappointed. Great performance while it worked though.

7. Andre_B

Andre_B Minimodder

I bought my P6T about 7 months ago and haven't had any problems so far. Rock solid.

8. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I jumped aboard the i7 train relatively early. Had my P6T Deluxe for 14 months now. It's been faultless.

9. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

got the standard P6T been running for about 5 months now been perfect :thumb:

10. mr_whitey

Sounds like i am making the right choice then :D Im pritty much set on this board now, just need to work out what other stuff to get with it.

One thing which is still confusing me is the whole socket 1156 vs 1366, which one has the better technology and is more future proof?

11. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

1. 1156 is newer, but 1366 has a new processor lineup already announced and 1156 doesn't, as far as future-proofing goes. Both are Intel's current socket, but Intel changes sockets like I change socks so that's not a guarantee that in 20 years you'll still be able to upgrade.
    2. 1366 has some new and unique hardware capabilties, notably triple-channel memory and very impressive hyper-threading - the kind of innovations that lead to power at all costs.
    3. 1156 by contrast is more mainstream and has more refined technology rather than beserk power; more polished SpeedStep and Turbo modes to save power, for example, and it's still limited to dual-channel memory.
    There's more to it than that, but that's a basic summary.

12. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

The Asus P6T SE gives you something called ExpressGate which is very annoying. Remember to turn it off in the BIOS.

13. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Love my asus P6T SE

Not had a momment of trouble with it and I run 215 bclk day in day out

14. mr_whitey

Thanks for that, that info is just what i needed. I want to go triple-channel so that makes my mind up :rock:

15. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Really wish I had gone for the P6T over this gigash*te board.

16. mr_whitey

Another question RE this board, i notice on the spec for the RAM that the board can take the following RAM:

DDR3 - 1066
    DDR3 - 1333
    DDR3 - 1600(OC)
    DDR3 - 1800(OC)
    DDR3 - 1866(OC)
    DDR3 - 2000(OC)

I take it that the OC stands for Overclock? So if i was to go for 1600 RAM for example would i have to do something to the board in the BIOS to get it to work or does it sort it out itself?

17. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Generally the board's BIOS will let you simple select the timings and frequency of the memory. If you want to simplify things - and I do recommend it - get XMP-certified memory. That 'knows' what settings it should be at, and you can just select that as a single setting in BIOS.

18. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Faster ram will be content to run at the slower speeds (bar some sort of BIOS quirk)

for example, at stock my 1600 runs at 1066 (133 BCLK)