1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos New to my DSLR

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by mayhem, 5 Apr 2012.

1. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

Got sick of my point and shoot so the other day i whent out and bought a Canon 1100D. Ppl said i should have got the next one up but i have to say im happy. It taken me 1 day to get it out the box and take these shots below.

Now im no pro and this is my first time ever using a DSLR. Never read a book and never watched a vid.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Enjoy im having fun playing :). Dont ask me what lens im using it came with the camra. I did use a single £10.00 light and a 5 tri-pod and nothing more. Im no expert ive only done this for 1 day. but it is fun.

2. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Are these with the kit lens? What light? Nice shots :)

3. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Those are great for to say your just playing around.

Are those with the 18-55mm lens? I'm not sure what packages are available but I know 18-55mm is a common one.

Love the ones of the waterblocks.

4. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

Yeh just the kit lens . the box says 18-55 im doing it all on manual.

Ive got loads more shots ill upload some more later on. ive only been playing today really this this camera. Not to sure what ever thing means but i understand that the lower the iso the higher the exposure and ive got the shutter speed ranked upto 1400 (think that mens how fast it takes the shots).

Pic below of how im taking the photos. I would like to learn more as i go along but the idea is to get some shots for our site instead of the plain old product shots i fancied some thing different. Every one was quoting me a fortune to take photo so i bought the DSLR instead with the money and going to do my own.

[​IMG]

Above how i took the photos. Just to add i don't own any photo editing software just used plain old windows to cut the pics out and get rid of the background. more pics commng now.

Last edited: 5 Apr 2012
  5. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

6. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Really like those two. Are you just pouring/throwing water at the objects or something more technical/reproducible?

7. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

just doing what you said. The idea is to have less boring product pictures ones i have finished. All the pics took about 1 min to make so there all reproducible in some way.

8. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

Im after making the liquid look brighter whats the best way to do that. Would i be better off getting a brighter bulb or some thing else. I know i need to lower my iso but they still look to dark with my current lighting.

9. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

I'm no photo expert, but I believe the best thing to do is to take the pictures in RAW to start with, and then Lightroom them to the desired result?

10. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Upping the iso would results in brighter images.
    Otherwise just having more light would also have the desired affect.

11. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

UV?

12. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

UV lighting is not into the equation yet need to learn to walk before i run.

13. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

More test product shots ... Just done 1/2 hour ago (need some sleep lol)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

These ones might not be to many people taste ..

Personally i don't like them at all and it didn't work out as expected. Ill have to work on it i think but here you go any way. (i did try them with the EK block but they looked bloody awful)

Focused in on the wrong point

[​IMG]

The effect just did not work on these shots

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think ill have to work on getting them better. The lighting defo needs sorting out ..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was trying to keep the HK dry but the mist maker was spurting water all over it while taking the shots.

Ive bought a couple of cheap new lenses today for £120 which is a Tamron 55 to 200mm Macro and a Canon 50mm

A couple of shots i did out side ..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

These are really impressive and should be a great addition to your site. I've got the same camera and have found it really easy to work with. The only down side is its relatively poor ISO performance - if you go over 800 then noise is very noticeable. Obviously that's not a problem for you at this point however, given the light you're working with.

I know you've done well so far, but I'd suggest reading up on photography theory, just so you know how the ISO, f-stop and shutter speed interact.

16. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

That depends if the images are underexposed to begin with. The correct exposure for ISO 100 and the correct exposure for ISO 800 will look exactly the same. The only difference would be 800 would allow for smaller aperture/faster shutter speed. Suggesting he ups his ISO would also be suggesting his exposure is currently incorrect... which it may not be.

17. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

What aperture, iso etc are you using for those darker shots?
    Had a play with them in lightroom/photoshop? You should be able to get them a little lighter without compromising on image quality fairly easily.

Edit:
    Fair enough Pookey, I'm also fairly new to it, so I probably shouldn't be giving advice :p

And I was meaning if he just changed the ISO from 100 to 200 say, and left everything else as it was, the images would be brighter no? I'm not saying better, but they would be brighter?

18. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

One suggestion for the brighter drops is to introduce some more shiny/reflective surfaces to the party. Try using a silver pan instead of a dark one or add some silver or white panels on either side of the pan to reflect more of that light source toward your subject. The liquid will pick up all that extra light.

19. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

Going to iso 100 i have to increase the contrast and various other stuff (via windows software), Iso 200 I only need to do it a little, I use F8 most of the time how ever it depends on how the pics look.

Bellow is a pic of what they look like direct from the camera as you can see they are pretty dark. The just below that is a bad shot but example of it brightened up before cropping and sharpening up. This is set at iso 200 - as you can imagine iso 100 is even worse.

Not Edited
    [​IMG]

Edited
    [​IMG]

To take the shots - Bread pan, Kids misting toy from a Halloween item, Iso 200, F8, speed 1400, light set the natural on the camera.

Below is iso 100 shot ->

[​IMG]

again just using windows software

[​IMG]

All the effect are again from using our liquids, You get a real violent action when you add normal tap water to aurora which looks really impressive. If you mix in Vegetable oil again you get a different reaction.

A quick Final shot this is a EK water block Upside down and red dye watered down and drooped onto it then edited again with Paint.net (some free software on the net) and changed it to green. Now i have to admit this is close to my fav shot so far. It took 48 fast frame pics to get this single one so about 1 min worth of shots.

Original Shot (Iso 200, Speed 1200, F8)
    [​IMG]

Edited shot with paint.net
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Apr 2012
  20. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

I take it your shooting at 1400 and 1200 shutter speed for sharpness on the drops? do you lose much of the crispness if you drop the speed to 250? you'll gain 2 to 3 stops making it a bit brighter. other wise looks like your going to need to up the ISO, get more lights or get a flash. A couple of the halogen work lights from a diy shop will get you 500w each for £10-15 each. just make sure to set a custom WB