1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Rognaissance

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by JamieElston, 26 Aug 2012.

1. JamieElston

JamieElston What's a Dremel?

Welcome to my project log of my first PC build.

I have been messing around with PCs and parts for several years and always wanted to go custom. So, this year is the year to get my first project started and to see if I really do have some creative abilities !!

My background is in engineering (mainly electrical and electronic) as well as IT. I look after a datacentre for a large multi-national company. The IT side and electronics side I think will be fine, learning all the new fabrication skills will take me on a long and hopefully pleasant journey.

So, what is the idea?

Scratch build is the only way if you ask me so the case will be 100% custom built. I also want the case to fit in with my surroundings. I live in a cottage in the UK so something which fits well with the room it will be in – so that removes the ideas of a futuristic looking machine with bright colours and flashing lights!

Although, I am a big fan of ROG and want to somehow blend the modern look of Republic of Gamers with a more rustic looking case.

With that said, welcome to the build log of ‘Rognaissance’ … a blend of classic looks and advancement to a new birth of technology. I think this quote sums up the project perfectly “A rebirth or revival; the transition period between medieval and modern times, the Renaissance”.

The build will be full water cooled, twin radiators, full modern ROG spec, Sapphire 7970, 3x SSD, 2xHDD…built within a wooden case (around an aluminium frame)which showcases Renaissance architecture, Middle Ages design and classical antiquity.

Hope you all enjoy following this project :D

2. JamieElston

Ok day 1…

Let’s cut some metal !!

To build the frame I have ordered a few long lengths of 30mm ‘L’ shaped aluminium bars at 2000mm total length. These will be cut down to 300mm and 394mm lengths to make three case levels (bottom – middle – top).

The levels will then be riveted together using vertical bars to create the case tower shape. Flat aluminium sheet will then be used to create the front, sides and base.

Will upload an image as soon as I have figure out how to do it !!

3. JamieElston

First image, hoping to get a lot more of the framework done tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Aug 2012
  4. JamieElston

Update 31-08-12

Well I thought I better post an update although not a great deal has gone on this week.

Having nightmares building the case frame; had to go back to square one - all part of the learning process. My aim is to get the case frame built and finished by Tuesday evening as I have 4 days off work coming up so should get a lot done...he says!

Although, on a good note, I have finished the design for the front panel. :thumb::clap:

This design will be cut out on 5mm light plywood, roughly 250mm x 250mm and will make up the centre piece of the mod. The design will be positioned at the front of the case.

The ROG logo will be the 'On' button and will also be lit up. The button will measure roughly 50mm in diamater, so this will really add a bright centre point to the mod and the design.

Hope you all like !!

[​IMG]

5. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

damn I love that design dude! should looks awesome once its cut!

6. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Wow! That looks amazing! Can't wait to see it come to life! :thumb: