1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Explain this email problem to me

Discussion in 'Software' started by ozstrike, 10 Dec 2008.

1. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I got an email this morning informing me that I'd been declined for a job I applied for. Fair enough, it doesn't bother me, but the email itself is confusing me.

Looking at the "Details" view in Gmail, I get.
    from Careers <Careers@phones4u.co.uk>
    to *********@hotmail.com

I've starred the start of the email address in case it's somebodies real email address, but the weird thing is, it is nothing like my email address. I don't even have a hotmail account!
    The address is entirely different, and yet I received this email. And I think it should be for me, as it's to do with a job I applied for (although I guess this other person may have also applied).

Any idea how this happened? Weird glitch?

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

cc/bcc? (Blind carbon copy)

3. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Yeah, what capnpedro said... probably sent to a group of people via Bcc. I'm assuming there was no personally specific info in the email to you. (ie, No Dear Mr. Ozstrike, thanks for your interest....yadda yadda yadda.)

4. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Yeah, I would have thought that, but there was nothing to do with my email in the header at all, just this single email address. It's weird.

5. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

If they cant send emails proper you dont want to work for them anyway!

6. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

bcc doesn't normally show your address in the header. they've sent it out to all the applicants they didn't hire, and put the list in bcc so you can't see the email address of all the other people.

have you never recieved a bcc email before?