1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Spare shuttle...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Burnout21, 9 Jan 2009.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I have a spare shuttle lieing around that is going to waste,

I watched a video over on systm (revision3) about setting up freeNAS on an old machine as a home server, i dont have much use for a home server, but it did give me an idea.

I currently run utorrent for downloads, wont go any further in explaining that. However i want to run the shuttle headless and access it via my wireless network.

so the idea, shuttle sits in corner humming away the hours, then when i want to add to the download list i jump into an 'app' and and do the dirty, likewise when moving data from the shuttle to my machine.

VMware allows an OS to run within a window as a vitual machine, can it access another machine across a network to run in a window...

2. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

No VMWare is just for virtual machines; you want to use something like Remote Desktop (on Windows), X forwarding (on linux) or VNC (on either). I'd use VNC myself, just install the server component on your server and the client on your PC then you can just use that to access the machine and add to the list to your hearts content.

Alternatively if you use a command line torrent program you could use SSH, which would be much more efficient over your wireless connection (not that VNC would be slow mind).

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

something like this

is it easy to setup via a wireless network?

4. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

Yep easy as pie, just install the server part on the server (you'll probably be prompted for a password to use) and the client part on the client, then make sure the firewall on the server is allowing the correct ports (5900 by default). Then just run the client and point it at the IP address of the server, and Bob's your father's brother!

5. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

A quick alternative for torrenting is to use Transmission (assuming you put Linux on the server, as there's no Windows client) and Transmission Remote. I do this with my NAS box, works a treat. and means you can download the torrents on your main PC saving you the use of VNC for that. Set up an FTP server on the shuttle to get your downloaded files (a-hem) and you should never really need to access its OS at all.

6. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I have my spare Shuttle running as a file server and torrent box,
    I just use, as suggested above, VNC to connect to the server and set up downloads etc, plus you also have the option of using uTorrents web UI to connect and queue downloads through a web browser.

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

never used that before, so if i am on my machine (currently dead) i can dial in via VNC to the shuttle, and bring up a window of the shuttle's OS GUI, then use utorrents web UI.. any benefits in using utorrents web UI?

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Sorry, what I'm saying is you could use either VNC or uTorrents Web UI.
    Personally I'd just stick with VNC.

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

VNC sounds like an awesome solution. Cheers guys!

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Been really busy recently.

So i plan on finding out a decent VNC app, most likely this and will be running utorrent.

The idea crossed my mind the other day, if i am running XP on the shuttle, why only have it as a downloader? So it will be getting winamp to deal with jupebox duties, but also i have been considering what the best app to use to give me an easy NAS, and i mean a real easy NAS under XP for dummies! lol! An app i can pick a directory on a machine across the network and back it up automatically at a set time of day.

Any other usefully duties this machine could do, other than folding as its only a Skt A sempron i found on ebay just to slap in it at an staggering 1.6Ghz!

currently it has a 80 and 160GB HDD's but no SATA, so it might also get a SATA PCI card and really add storage, just depends on how successful it all is.