1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Backup Methods

Discussion in 'Software' started by Zurechial, 16 Jan 2009.

1. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I'm looking for viable methods of hard-drive backup in this day and age of terabyte drives and huge installs.

I used to use CD-Rs and DVD-Rs for backing up data, but I find that there's too much of a gap between the capacity of DVDs and the cost of blu-ray writers & media for those to be good choices right now.

My hard drives & partitions are as follows:

== 200GB Maxtor (I know, Maxtor :eeek:) :
    C: ~190GB ('System')
    F: ~8GB (XP Boot)

== 320GB WD :
    E: ~320GB (Storage)

== 2x 1TB Spinpoint F1s in Mirrored RAID :
    G: ~230GB (Storage)
    H: ~230GB (Storage)
    I: ~230GB (Storage)
    J: ~230GB (Storage)

I use my RAID array to store important stuff for work & uni, games, music, etc; but I know RAID is more of a safety net than a safe, reliable backup, so I'd like to find a means to back up large amounts of data up reliably.

Also I'd like to find a decent HD imaging tool to backup my boot and system drives before I start toying with new partitions on the 320GB drive for Windows 7 and Linux.
    I've used one of the Acronis programs for restoring from backups where I work (internet cafe) and I found it to be pretty good, but I don't think I can afford to spend €50 on a copy of TrueImage for myself right now.
    Are there any decent alternatives that are cheaper or free?

Cheers for any suggestions!

2. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

There's probably some open-source utility that does that kind of thing (the o/s community should be ashamed of itself if there wasn't one), but I use and like Norton Ghost. It's more like £35, so it's not free, but it's cheaper.

- Diosjenin -

cpemma likes this.
  3. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Clonezilla is a great drive/partition imaging program, platform independent and free

The most practical way to backup copious amounts of hdd space is with even more hdd space. a 1TB drive doesn't cost much these days, just pick one it and pop it in an external enclosure and you're off.

5. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions :)

I was thinking that, but I've always read/been-told that another hard drive shouldn't be seen as a reliable backup medium.
    I guess that rule applies more for an enterprise/business situtation, so it may be the best option to go for.
    Cheers :)

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

It isn't, but a tape solution with the sort of capacity that you're after would cost thousands.

Tapes are used in enterprise backup because they're extremely robust. You can throw 50TB+ of data in a pelicase (literally throw) and then hand off the case to an offsite storage company and have a bunch of clumsy apes handle it and still know that the data integrity is almost absolute.

With a backup on an external hdd at home, you're using it once in a while and probably isn't going anywhere, so the fragility of hdds shouldn't be too much of an issue :thumb: