1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MS to ship Windows 7 in EU without IE

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Jun 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

3. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Good to see the EU concentrating on the important things, sorting out their own corruption might be a better use of their time.

4. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

Both sides appear to have become petty IMO. It's like a playground squabble between two little girls.

5. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

How do you download your preferred choice of browser, without a browser? Command line FTP might be OK for the techies amongst us, but I can't see how my Mum is supposed to cope.

6. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

3 threads for 1 topic, awesome

7. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

Well, I see it as better time spent than maybe developing weapons of mass destruction wouldn't you agree? But if you'd rather we focus on other issues than corporate monopolies , I'm sure we can discuss it over a Big Mac and A Coke while we smoke a Marlboro in our Designer Levi's with our Nikes on, huh?

8. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

I am not surprised, you can't include every browser, and the authors of those not included will start bitching about it sooner or later, so the easiest way is to include none.
    Anyway, if this "trend" continues, soon Microsoft will have no other choice but to ship only the kernel.
    p.s. Does Apple ship Macs with any other browser than Safari?

9. tejas

tejas What's a Dremel?

boo and hiss. I only use firefox but like having IE8 as a backup. As Bursar says above for people like our gfs, mums and sisters this will be utter crap. If MS have to remove IE then Apple should remove safari from OSX.

10. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

hahaha Am I the only one who thought this was great? Also speaking of monopolistic abuses isnt iPod and iTunes combo one too?

Edit: Thats right iTunes doesn't work well in the EU so nvm.

11. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

haha Brilliant!
    I hope it really pisses off the EU commision too :)
    What a load of bloody rubbish the whole IE antitrust issue is. It is patently obvious that Microsoft should be allowed to include whatever software they like with windows. Every other OS developer does! If people really have an issue with being given free software then there is something wrong with them.

12. FatMikel

FatMikel Statistically not that fat...

Yay!

Well done EU! You've managed to reduce consumer choice! Brilliant!

I'm glad my taxes are being put to such good use. The people persuing these anti-trust cases need to be set on fire and left to burn, as far as I'm conerned. They do nothing good or worthwhile in this world. They are without worth as human beings.

13. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

the more I hear about this the more lame it sounds.. don't like IE? Just download another browser ..sheesh .. I don't get how that's an antitrust issue .. if Microsoft, on the other hand, was making their OS intentionally break any other browser that tried to run on it, then maybe that would be different

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i don't get the point of removing it. it just makes the OS less attractive to non-techheads.

what about Apple's host of programes that comes with OSX? what about Xcode vs Visual studio?

15. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

I agree here. I could see a case if Microsoft were intentionally preventing you from installing another browser and/or breaking an additional browswer but as I far as I could tell they arn't. This ruling can only be bad for consumers (mainly because both Microsoft and the commission are acting like Ronaldo after his hair has been messed up.... but I digress).

16. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Jeez who cares, MS will just leave a download "stub" on the desktop to go and get IE just like they did with the Live Apps in Vista, the EU really is wasting time now. I only ever use IE for when people link me to Youtube Vids, online banking I use Opera and FF for everything else. Now with Safari and Chrome there's even more choice out there and more people know about it than the commission thinks.

17. Zut

Zut What's a Dremel?

On one hand, its nice to see a monopoly being challenged and sets a good precedent. Hopefully they'll go after Apple next and their various sins.

On the other hand, its only a freaking browser and no-one forces you to use it. For most people this is just a hassle (will it change IE's market share very much??) and it could make life difficult for developers who can no longer rely 100% on Windows as a web-capable platform.

18. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

Not being able to upgrade straight from Vista is a pain in the a*** though.

19. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I'm kinda glad the EU ruling has been complied with its just typical of MS to do it in such an awkward way.

Though i don't see how the removal of IE can be conisderd breaking the up grade path, it does however help with the security by not having a web facing browser directly tied into the OS.

20. chicorasia

chicorasia What's a Dremel?

They used to come with internet explorer. However, one can argue that with some 10% of the PC industry Apple does not hold a monopoly of the platform.

Tags: Add Tags