1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google brings Chrome to IE

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Sep 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

It's a very neat idea and microsoft's reaction is priceless.

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

If you're at work it shouldn't be a problem using IE
    . if you work in web dev/design then you should have whatever you want/need.

4. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Google must have a feeling that they aren't going to be taking over the world with their own browser and their toolbar downloads must also be in the decline.

I am in complete agreement with Microsoft here as I am sick to death of going to third party downloads and being forever asked to download and install the "Come and make us some money and we will give you nothing!" Google Toolbar.

Download at your peril!

5. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Doesn't install without admin credentials anyway. What's the point? If you can install this, you can install the full Chrome. Seems incredibly pointless

6. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Well exactly. I suspect that the crossover of people who know they should get something better than IE and have the privileges to do so, yet for some reason don't just want to use some other browser, is microscopically small.

7. matee

matee What's a Dremel?

Bah just wanted to try it @ work since IE is whats i'm stuck with.

8. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I think it's quite smart, to be honest. Haven't tried it yet, but the idea of being able to use a single browser that seamlessly switches to use Chrome's rendering and JS engines for sites that are optimised for / require it, is very slick. Much as I like what Google has done with Chrome, it isn't yet usable as the only browser on a machine, because so many sites are "optimised" for IE and break or look goofy on other browsers (though the situation is improving, largely because developers can no longer afford to ignore other browsers now that IE doesn't have a 90% share!).

I guess the question marks relate to how tight the integration is - does it interact with IE's history (so visited links show up as visited etc.)? Does it interact with saved form information, bookmarks etc. properly? Is its security behaviour governed by Chrome's settings or IE's? Will it pick up and play nice with IE cookies? And so on.

9. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Please can someone develop an IE Frame for Chrome? I'm stuck using Chrome on my work PC and I need IE to be able to use the myriad sites optimised for its superior-ness.

10. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

well I can see the use for people at work stuck with IE, but .. i dont know, If I want a chrome, I get a chrome, I want a firefox, I get a firefox, but I get a chrome in an another browser?, its like windows over DOS if you ask me..

11. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I just like that they made IE8 run 10x faster by adding to it. They prove how superior chrome is and get a golden reaction out of Microsoft, hilarious.

@crazyceo

News stories involving Google wouldn't be the same without you <3

12. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

The amount of people using will most likely be extremely limited outside of developers.

13. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

lol wut

14. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

TBH this is the whole point I think - showing people how much faster/better the Chrome browser is. A PR gag.

15. Xir

Xir Modder

Talk about the pot and the EFFFin kettle!

16. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I dont use Chrome on any of my systems except for and in this case I think its ideally designed for is my ASUS netbook. Chrome is perfect for such systems as for my other systems ehh I stick with FF.

17. xprodancer

xprodancer life is like a box of chocolates

well i have tryed both IE and google chrome! i must say there speed is the same on my system! i would like to try the add-on to IE if it speeds up then that will be my choice!!!

18. ciri28

ciri28 What's a Dremel?

If a google chrome plugin helps educate the sheep that there are other browser choices, then great, but skepticism steps in and says it is just another revenue generating tool bar as already pointed out.

Last edited: 26 Sep 2009
  19. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Thanks Babe! I'm here to ruin the Google love'in some try to make. Especially the "Google is a really good company!" comments when some don't even know how Google make their money.

This topic highlights exactly what Google is trying to do and some are too stupid to realise it. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

20. SquattingDawg

SquattingDawg What's a Dremel?

So educate me on how Google makes their money. The only way I know of is through ads

Tags: Add Tags