1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I entitled to a refund?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Lankuzo, 15 Oct 2012.

1. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

Hey all

I have a problem and need some advice. I bought my girlfriend a Samsung laptop for her birthday on September 23rd last year and it worked perfectly up until 11th of September this year.
    It wouldn't power on at all. I tried all the combinations I could but there was no sign of life. I thought it was probably the power chord wasn't working and the battery was completely dead.
    Unfortunately we couldn't get to the store which I purchased the laptop from until the 17th. They accepted it was faulty but believed it was the power connector on the laptop itself and said they would send it of to Samsung for repair. If it was classed as accidental damage we would have to pay to get it repaired. So we left it with them to send it off and see what Samsung said.

Here is the problem though. They haven't been in contact with me since and it's been over the 28 days they said it would take. I'm going to go into store and inquire in person so need to know where I stand with the law and what I'm entitled to?

So it was returned before the guarantee was up by a few days so am I entitled to a refund or replacement or nothing at all?

Thanks for any advice given.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

You should certainly be entitled to a replacement/repair, but a refund is probably a bit premature.

3. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

As above. And it is two years warranty on consumer electronics. Irrelevant of the one year limited policy it comes with.

In short a repair or replacement is normal a refund is "usually/normally " only when the product is found not fit for purpose from new or shorty thereafter or if said product fails from a "known" fault. (Roughly)

Sent on my CM10 JB powered i9100 by TapaTalk 2

4. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I have been through this before and you have to give them a reasonable chance to do a repair or replacement before you are entitled to a refund.

5. Sviatoslav

Sviatoslav What's a Dremel?

Statutory rights specify a certain complaints resolution procedure: repair - replace - refund. You have to exhaust the first two in order to be entitled for refund. I would say that if repairs are taking over the promised period and you had no notification about the prolongation - go give them hell, it's absolutely unacceptable. In case they have no idea on repairs status and are not able to get a clear answer from Samsung while you are there, ask for replacement, be very polite and nice about it, blame Samsung not the store.
    A least this is what I would do :) generally, walking in and demanding refund straight away is a bad idea (unless it is less than 7 days from the day of purchase, for most stores anyway)

6. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

Would this be from Pc world per chance? i was given a monitor for my birthday last year, the DVI socket packed up after a week, I returned it to them and it was sent off for repair.

29 days later I had not heard from them, I thought I would give them another week as I didn't need it urgently.

So I gave them a ring a week later, turned out they received a new unit from the manufacturer 8 days after it was sent off and never told me!

7. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

After six months from purchase the responsibility passes from the store to the manufacturer.

8. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Please show me where this is written in statute.

9. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

It isn't. In the UK, it's up to 6 years and it's entirely down to whoever sold it to you. After 6 months from purchase the onus changes from being the retailers responsibility to prove it was your fault to being your responsibility to prove it wasn't.

As for how long they have to get it repaired, it's a 'Reasonable amount of time'. Repair, replacement (new/refurb) or refund is at the retailers discretion.

TheCherub likes this.
  10. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Sorry I did indeed get that wrong. Fantus is correct.

11. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

Just to let you know.
    The laptop has now been returned to my gf after a few phone calls and a visit to the store (currys)

Samsung did an amazing job according to the paperwork I saw with the returned product.
    Item sent 24th (6 days after I dropped it off at store), claimed it was out of warrantee but due to currys taking so long with it they repaired it without charge (new motherboard).
    Store received laptop on the 1st and it sat there for 15days. I made several calls to currys and they claimed it wasn't on there system and didn't know where it was. Decided to pay the store a visit on the 15th and there it was. Apparently they tried to call my home phone and my mobile but I had no missed calls on either. So got the laptop out in store and checked everything was there and then just left.

Never buying from currys/pc world again.

12. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

That's exactly what happened to me, the store takes ages to send it off, manufacturer repairs item quickly, returns it to store. the never acknowledge it arrives or inform you but claim to have at a later date.

13. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

This is one of those things which is entirely down to the individuals working at the stores. When I was working at PC world at Techguys/KnowHow we certainly didn't let this happen. The only time things took longer than they should was when it was at the central repair centre.

Samsung are very good for their repairs, never had any problems with them. Sony repair were always good as well. Glad it's sorted.