1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD R7 265 is new $149 champion

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 13 Feb 2014.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

"AMD R7 is new $149 champion"

Isn't the headline here somewhat... presumptious? You've not even tested the card yet, but the headline reads (to me at least) as if you're proclaiming it to be the best $149 card out there. Just think it's a bit of a misleading title - "AMD proclaims R7 as new $149 champion" would be more accurate, imo.

I assume you will be reviewing it shortly?

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Anandtech has review for both.

It's about 10% slower than the 270 in metro last light.

Depending on pricing it could be good. Problem is AMD cards are been priced $20-$30 above rrp so they are overpriced. As other sites have said if it comes in at that price then the 270 looks overpriced for the 10% it gives
    Extra performance.

4. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Not worth a penny over £99.99

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

its not AMD - its etailers that are price gouging

6. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Don't you mean 16 compute units? 1024/64 = 16

I am going to change my sig now to highlight the fact that my wife's PC now has a "R7 265" inside..... *Yawn*

7. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Not really, 'champion' doesn't always mean 'winner'. For example in past times when a duel was to be fought, the actual parties would not fight themselves but would rather send in their 'champion', someone to fight for them in their stead. I would imagine that usually that individual would have been the best warrior but that was not always the case... So in this case it could be taken to mean that this is the card the AMD are sending in to do battle at the $149 price point... So it is AMD's champion and not necessarily the GPU champion.

8. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Seems like this should be in the "Industry news" section :(

It's disappointing because I'm thinking about getting a new GPU and making the switch from nVidia to AMD because I've heard AMD cards are better for WoT. Then I find out that this isn't a review, but rather a rehash of someone's press release.

I expect better from bit.

9. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Never understand these, why not spend 300$ and get a halfway decent card, or $600 and get an elite one, false economy.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Did not say it was AMD, does not dispute the fact that its happening.

Check out eBay some 7970s marked bitcoin have sold for crazy money.

11. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

OK, I see where you're coming from here, but I respectfully disagree :). If we're assuming that the R7 265 is AMD's "representative" at $149, shouldn't the headline refer to "R7 265 is AMD's new $149 champion"? Otherwise, it does read as if it's the best card at $149 rather than AMD's best card at that price...

That aside, to be honest it's quite disappointing that this is basically a rehash of a press release with added references to someone else's reviews. There was a time where Bit would have been publishing their own review first instead rather than relying on what others were saying. Hopefully they'll be giving us their own verdict soon, and keeping this sort of article in the Industy News section where it belongs.

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

rather buy a £40 antminer - usb powered and 1.6gh/s than a gpu for mining noiw tbh

13. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I can't justify spending that much on a video card to play a free game. Honestly, I'm not sure I can justify $150, but that is at least in the realm of the possible. Sure I would get more bang for the buck (rubble for the Rouble?) with a $300 card, but that would be over a full week's wages just to buy a video card for a game a I play a few hours a week when I'm not working.

I've currently got a GT320 and a 7800GT installed which together give me about 16 fps on most battles. Not great, but playable. Barely. I've heard that AMD is better supported by WoT, which is why I'm looking at their offerings when before I've pretty much always ran nVidia cards.

Tags: Add Tags