1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD / ATI merger looks like it could be on

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 21 Jul 2006.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

i hope this doesn't result in nvidia going the way of 3dfx, they've been pushing the envelope for a long time now and it'd be a shame for us for ATi to have the market to themselves.

Then again, having ATi and AMD working toghether even closer could produce some awesome tech

We shall see

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

I doubt NVIDIA would because both AMD and Intel want its technology. Providing NVIDIA continues to produce good products, NVIDIA will continue to be a big part of the market.

4. Vergil_117

Vergil_117 What's a Dremel?

As long as I see AMD based motherboards with nvidia chipsets I'm happy.

5. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

If this merger goes through, would ATI's "customer service" type stuff be likely to improve with AMD's influence?

Granted, my experience only relates to one ATI product (the HDTV Wonder tuner card)...but based on forum discussions, many folks had the exact same problems I did -- the card was released with terrible software, and updating the software is about a 2 hour process (manually uninstalling 4 things, then deleting certain remaining files, then manually installing 4-5 files, with occasional restarts and the need for your original driver CD). I upgraded regularly in spite of that lengthy process...with no fixing of the original problems. One of their updates actually created new problems (screen going blank precisely every 5 minutes for about 1/2 second while watching tv)...and tons of other folks got the exact same result. After 2 months of emails back and forth with their "customer support," the problem could not be fixed (even with a multitude of the 2-hour uninstall/reinstall processes), and they acted like they couldn't replicate the problem on their end. The even released a couple full software updates in there that still didn't fix the problem. Finally, at least 6 months after they created the problem, they released software that didn't have the problem.

bla bla bla, i'm rambling....I realize TV tuners aren't ATI's main expertise or purpose....but I found the experience ridiculous and was really turned off of ATI products for good (why would I want to support a company that put me through that? or risk running into another similar problem, trying to get another $200 purchase to work how it should?).

All you guys with ATI video cards -- have you had similar experiences, or was this just one product that ATI didn't have the resources/know-how/manpower for when they designed/introduced it? Is ATI known for this sort of thing, and would it be expected that AMD could fix this sort of problem?

6. Vergil_117

Vergil_117 What's a Dremel?

I only had ATI driver/steam update issues.

7. valium

valium What's a Dremel?

I don't see this happening and if it does I don't see it affecting nVidia at all. If this does happen I just pray this doesn't turn into some kind of nVidia (Intel) vs ATi (AMD) war as that would segregate the majority of people who use the AMD product line and nVidia.

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

this could prove interesting.....very interesting technology, very fast and eficient technology.....i doubt it would happen.

9. CAL3H

CAL3H What's a Dremel?

Ditto that. That would really suck with the amount of enthusiasts with firm AMD+nVidia fixtures. Come on AMD, is this the way its meant to be played? :duh:

10. TheColdLord

TheColdLord What's a Dremel?

I sure as hell hope that it isn't going to be like that....I mean nVidia was and AMD belong togheter if anything. Not to mention that a very high % of ppl use that combination.I was allways an nVidia AMD fanboy, and I would hate to see AMD end up with ATI. :duh: :duh: :duh: . PLZ AMD don't do it!!!!

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Currently using an AMD/nVidia setup so this makes me think if my next rig won't be Intel/nVidia considering the fact Conroe/Kentsfield seem to be the new kings of the hill.
    As Intel seems to take back the gamer's choice award from AMD and nVidia probably working closer with Intel I hope there will be way more options for us to upgrade.

And about nVidia going the 3Dfx way: Never! nVidia are way too big for this. Iirc nVidia bought 3Dfx for like 200-300 million DM (about 100-150 €) and that was a hell lot of money for a graphic card company back then. If ATI would try to buy nVidia... some zeros anyone? :eyebrow:

12. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

lets get it right! 3dfx were these biggest company of their day in their industry and the only reason nvidia bought them out was because they went into liquidation because of a massive error on there part. Now sure ati might not have the funds to buy nvidia but intel sure do!

13. TheColdLord

TheColdLord What's a Dremel?

DON'T SAY THAT. As I see it for the momment it is good to have all 4 these working separatly. Sure if they would merge there would probably be a few optimizations....but thats all IMHO(+research).

14. Irvine

Irvine What's a Dremel?

The bright side is that we may see nVidia chipsets running with Core procs! :D

15. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

I dont think its gonna happen at all its just the usally rumer doing the rounds.

16. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

17. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

Still not convince d id put a tenner on them nt join in foreseeabel future(If i wasnt a skint student who does not have a tenner)

18. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Looks like it's official

Wish they'd gone with nVidia, but still...

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Pfff, NV arent for the sell out. You cant fanboyise an business decision.

20. quack

quack Minimodder

Tags: Add Tags