1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Help with lenses

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by N17 dizzi, 20 Feb 2016.

1. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Hello

I recently purchased a 1200D using up a £120 voucher for Currys. I always wanted to use a proper camera without wanting to go too enthusiast (expensive).

I have lurked on this forum over the years and seen the prices people pay for bodies, lenses and what not. In spite of my reluctance to get in too deep, I would like some guidance on lenses.

With the camera I got an included 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. I also bought a Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II prime lens for portrait photography, but it had a faulty AF so I sent it back. I am considering getting the more expensive EF 50mm - f/1.4 USM based on the reviews, but this may be more than I need.

I like taking photos of steam engines and other examples of heritage transport, so some advice for an ideal lens for that type of photography would be appreciated.

I saw MarkVarley was selling a Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 which he used for most of his photography. I am willing to spend £300 - £400, not wanting to go any more than that really.

Many thanks, dizzi

2. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

The first question is maybe: do you really need another lens? What specifically are you unhappy about with the kit zoom (combined with the 50/1.8)? What limits you in what you want to achieve with your photography? Reach? Aperture? Sharpness?

3. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

+1

The EF 50mm f1.8 aka Plastic Fantastic is a great little lens (I don't like the focus ring but that's only me).

4. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Everything I have read talks about spending money on the glass, which is why I put some money aside. My biggest limit is knowledge of photography, to be perfectly honest. There is a daunting amount of information.

I got a refund on it; the one I got was faulty. Should I grab another? I was considering the more expensive EF 50mm - f/1.4 USM which may not be so plastiky.

5. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

From a fellow beginner, from my experience so far the is a lot of snobbery in photography, as I guess there is in all enthusiast things, so be careful about a lot of people saying you must get this or that etc etc (although as far as I have seen this forum doesn't really have those type of people).

As you say knowledge is the big factor here, but there is no rush, go out shoot, make mistakes, learn, get a little better. The kit lenses aren't that bad and you can get some great photos with them. When your skill level out reaches the equipment you have, you will know why and you will know what you need to get. If you find you are always shooting the same type of thing at the same distance, then maybe investing a quality prime lens would be the way forward.

Remember this is a hobby as and meant to be fun :)

6. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

You wrote what I thought but never dared to say. Some folks are under the impression that photography is reserved for the elite, in fact I shouldn't even use the word 'Photography' because I don't have a full frame & my lenses don't have a red ring :worried: (whispering).

Absolutely, we ain't doing this for a living, having fun is the reward.

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

As a first lens (other than the kit lens) you may well find the 50mm too 'zoomed in' for general photography - I certainly did. Personally I find something more in the 24-30mm range more useful for day-to-day photography. I would suggest going out and about and taking some photos and then seeing what focal length you are mainly using. Also the comments above about what it is that's not doing it for you about the kit lens are good ones - what do you need? More zoom range? Better low-light performance? More bokeh?

8. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Thanks for your help and pointers. I grabbed another 50mm f/1.8 prime with a filter and hood. I will go from there for now, remembering to have fun :thumb:

What I need right now is experience and more knowledge to answer those questions. So I have bought the basics to go experimenting.

9. GeorgeK

Fair enough - even if you don't get on with it then you can sell it on without losing too much and then get something else. Enjoy the shooting!

10. veato

veato I should be working

Use your kit lens for a bit and once you've got a bit of a library check your exif data and see what your most commonly used focal length is. That might give you an idea where you'd be better spending some money. It's easy to think 'I need a good 50' but whilst they're great lenses you might find a fast 28 or 35 prime is more useful for you for example.

11. GeorgeK

exposureplot is a great piece of software for doing this - it only works on jpg files not raw but will graph your focal lengths, apertures etc

12. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Spend a couple of months with the gear you have, use it as much as possible, and then after a while ask yourself "What would I like to be able to do that I cannot do now, and what gear will allow me to do it".

13. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

May I suggest the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. You'll never take it off your camera when you get it. Only £150ish too

14. SpyderBombz

SpyderBombz What's a Dremel?

So much this!

Obviously all hobbies and pastimes have an element of gear snobbery, but for some reason photography seems to be particularly bad for it.

I have been through many cameras and, unless you 'pixel peep', in most situations there really isn't much of a difference, at least none to justify the price of high end gear.

I am a studio photographer and use my works equipment every day (Nikon D810 and good glass) and it produces amazing images ( which it should given the cost!!!). However I still enjoy photography outside of work but I use a Sony A6000 (crop sensor mirrorless - about £300 ) and cheap lenses, and I can tell you I love my pictures.

What you have (the 18-55, and if you get another one the 50 1.8) are more than enough. Go out, take loads of pictures, learn basic Lightroom or Photoshop and enjoy what you have. Don't get caught up in the gear side.

Last edited: 3 May 2016