1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Pump making a bit of a racket

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zulu9812, 2 Mar 2012.

1. zulu9812

zulu9812 What's a Dremel?

I bought this 580 card:

PNY 1.5GB GeForce GTX 580 XLR8 Liquid Cooled NVIDIA Graphics Card

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have no issues with the radiator or the fan noise, but the pump makes an awful racket - to the point of utterly defeating the quiet cooling of the closed loop in the first place. Is there anything I can do about this?

It's not a constant hum - it's more of a consistent stuttering, if that makes any sense.

2. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

I think it is because you have to give it time for the air to work out...

3. zulu9812

I considered that - but surely, if it's a closed loop, if there's air in there it will stay in there. I'm also running a CoolIT Eco 240 on my CPU and that never gave me this noise.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

If you rotate your case it'll move up to the rad where it should be ok :)

5. zulu9812

Well, the rad is currently attached to a fan at the front of the case. Do you mean I should pop the case on it's back panel for a while and leave the computer running?

6. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Are the nozzles of the rad at the top or bottom? In other words which way up have u mounted the rad?

7. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

That would probably work. I agre that it would be best not to have air, but as long as you do it's best that it be at the top of the rad (which is acting as a reservoir anyway).

You shouldn't need to tip the case for long, moving it about should dislodge the air. Just rotate it to the position that send the air uphill to the rad, but not far enough that it might send the air back to the outlet from the rad.

8. zulu9812

The nozzles are at the side of the rad, slightly below. The radiator is essentially perpendicular to the card.

9. zulu9812

Is it safe/better to do this whilst the pump is running, or should I switch the PC off first?

10. zulu9812

OK, I've tried tilting the case in various positions for a few minutes at a time. If anything, it's slightly worse now. I'm going to re-mount the radiator to the case exhaust fan at the top of the case and see if that makes any difference.

11. feathers

feathers Minimodder

It may make a difference if u have the radiator fitted so the tubes come out at the bottom. Any bubbles can gather in the top of the radiator rather than recirculating. It sounds to me like having the nozzles one below the other maybe helping to keep the bubbles moving. The noise you describe sounds like bubbles moving through the pump.

Bubbles naturally rise to the top so you have to think about which way the rad is rotated. Once the rad is rotated so the bubbles stay at the top then the noise may settle after a day.