1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asetek sues CoolIT over alleged patent infringement

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 31 Aug 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

This is actually a good thing, as Asetek have always make better products than CoolIT...

3. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Given the preposterous generality of the patent, seems like a straightforward patent troll situation.

Although, to be honest, you don't need to read the legalese to understand that bovine ordure like "Asetek is an innovation company by DNA" is code for "we want to be able to have some free money without bothering to do any work."

4. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

best I return my pc to air cooled ...I don't want to be sued..

5. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Why the hell haven't the people who work in the patent office been shot yet? Who the hell would approve a patent like that.

And surely if you can sue someone for infringing on your patent, that you've only just got, that means that they already had their product out before your patent, so how can you patent it!

I can't imagine why Asetek would feel at all threatened by CoolIT anyway, from what I can remember from numerous CPC tests is that anything made by CoolIT is usually worse than the standard cooler.

6. themassau

themassau What's a Dremel?

a law suit is never a good thing if coolIT loosIes then trhe consumer needs to pay more to bouth products because asetek has less concurrency and coolit needs to pay a lawsuit. in the other way around the patent would be invalit and you hava to pay more for asetek because they have to pay the lawsuit.

the biggest problem is that there are more companies that make all in one cooling (corsair). so if asetek wins then the whole market will become expensive again and then we are 5years back in pricing. so lets hope for prior art or a more strict patent.

maybe they can even sew car companies because they use all in one loop water cooling systems. then we have no car (allmost every car is liquid cooled) no high performance electronics etc.

Last edited: 31 Aug 2012
  7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

the problem is how generic this patent is - this technically voers home built water cooling as well.

8. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Yeah, and I sued my sister because we came from the same mother...

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Eugh.

I hope all the lawyers on the planet explode in unison, taking with them anyone who has this "patent, sue everybody" mentality.

Sick to death of not a week going by without some corporation suing another corporation for a slight infraction on a general as patent.

10. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Because the patent approval process takes a bloody long time! I have seen and heard it mentioned that the average time between submission and granting is 3 years.

If the patent referred to in the article (filed only 1 year ago) is "infringed" by a CoolIT product released more than 1 year ago then that's one thing (and the patent may get invalidated as such) that doesn't mean that the CoolIT product doesn't infringe on one of the other patents held by Astek filed before CoolIT came in to being. As mentioned in the article, some were filed in 2003 and 2005.

In spirit I agree with you, though. The patent system is a bit ridiculous and the fact that some patent filings are kept sealed for a could of years means that some "innovators" can develop and release something with a simultaneous independent discovery with no knowledge that a competitor has filed a patent even when searching for it until there are "infringing" products well in the market by the time the patent is granted and enforceable!

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

This again shows in what a bad shape the current patent-system is. A patent as general as this one should've never been approved.

Sad days we're living in.

12. SiR

SiR What's a Dremel?

I think I will apply for a patent for erm... a piece of equipment that uses a heat source to cook food... it would be just as rediculous lol

13. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I wish patents would go back to covering only NEW inventions. Not minor twists on existing products and processes. Adding a spoke to a wheel, does not mean you own the rights to the wheel as a concept. You did not invent water cooling asetek, I do not care if you have made any improvement, it does not entitle you to anything but a competitive edge.

14. S1W1

S1W1 Minimodder

That patent is far too general- it defies belief that it got approved.

15. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

Is the patent just for the USA then Coolit can only be done for sales in the USA not world wide.

16. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

I Take issue with this patent, As has been said it's too general and it's not like Asetek invented compact watercooling units, they've been done before but just not well, while I'm fine with them patenting the solutions *they* invent for making watercooling units better, such a general patent being used in this way limits innovation which is never good for the consumer...

17. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

Its general practice to sue your rivals.

18. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

wont be surprised they broke open coolit's stuff, check if there was a patent on it. then applied for that patent, and sued. haha. business' are in the same league as politicians.

19. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

They still had to do the R & D in the first place. It actually costs money to make these products so they are hardly getting it for free.

20. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Someone saw what happened between Apple and Samsung, and thought "We can do that!!"

Sam