1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft confirms Windows 10 retail pricing

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 2 Jun 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

The company has now broken its silence, issuing a statement to Neowin which confirms US estimated retail pricing for the two retail releases: $119 for Windows 10 Home, and $119 for Windows 10 Pro.

Shorely shome mishtake - add more coffee Mr H! :D

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Whoopsie - that should, of course, read "$199" for Pro like wot it says in the sub-head. Fixed, ta!

4. Xir

Xir Modder

Hmmm, why make it backwardscompatible to Netbooks (see...minimum requirements) and then price yourself out of the market?

5. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Good point, my netbook originally running XP was fine on Win 7, but when I tried Win 8 it put up a warning that the screen resolution (dear old 1024x600) was too low for some elements that required 1024x768 minimum :wallbash:

6. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Pro edition is a little too pricey for my liking :(

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

The prices are EXACTLY the same as for Windows 8.1, Windows 8 and i think it even Windows 7 had the same Home/Pro pricing (not taking deals into account). And before that, Windows was more expensive.

8. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I'm not surprised by those prices to be honest but the free upgrade program does make it a bit galling for those that will have to stump up 200 bucks for a copy.

9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Don't forget the "magical" USD - GBP exchange rate will make it $119 £119 for Windows 10 Home, and $199 £199 for Windows 10 Pro.

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

but as faugusztin said, these MSRPs are exactly the same as the MSRPs for the respective versions of 8.1, 8.1 Home is $119 [£99.99] and 8.1 Pro is $199 [£189.99] on the MS Store... the fact 10 is the same price should surprise no-one...

11. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

I've already had a pop up in my Win 7 start bar asking me to sign up for a reminder (by email) of the free installation of Win 10. I'm still a bit unddecided on it in truth, I hated 8.0 and 8.1.

What I'm also a little surprised about (for those who will need to purchase it instead of free upgrade) is how it can possibly be a shock as to the pricing - it has bene this way for many years.

I also have no problems paying it when I need to. Much as many malign MS, sometimes for valid reasons, but often not, to pay at the very most £200 for an operating system I'll use pretty much every single day for a number of years seems good value to me.

and if i didn't like it that much I'd use Linux.

12. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

The price is shocking, as you would expect as Microsoft has moved more to a services type business model they would have relaxed their front loaded pricing of yesteryear. I'd be much happier if there was just one version which was feature rich, rather than using some features to inflate the price. I use Linux and Windows and have just gone back to using Windows 10 preview as my main machines daily driver (I just don't have the time to test it as a dual boot / virtual install properly) and coming from Windows 7 it's a pretty good step up. I'm quite angry at the UK pricing though, its 2015 and you should be able to do a pretty straightforward currency conversion for what is essentially a 20ish digit code.

13. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Meh gone are the days of early adopters getting £40-45 deals like when 7 came out :(.

14. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I'm still on Vista. Counting down the days with my 119$ in my hand ready to give it to Microsoft.

15. DC74

DC74 Doh!

Yeah me and a mate were early adopters of windows 7 got our home versions for about £45-50 as I remember and I consider that money well spent. I think I will upgrade to win 10 though as it seems to have the best of both worlds and should minimise some of the driver issues experienced when manufacturers stop updating drivers.

16. grimerking

grimerking Minimodder

We have 3 PCs in the house - all of which qualify for the free upgrade. If they didn't, we'd be staying on Windows 7. A £600 bill to 'upgrade' is just too much.

17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Having bought a boxed copy of 7 Ultimate looks like I'm having to buy a copy of 10. Joy of joys.

18. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Why, isn't Windows 7 Ultimate eligible for a free upgrade?

19. grimerking

grimerking Minimodder

It is eligible. All three of my Windows 7 Ultimate PCs are receiving the free update.

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

As up to date as it can be, only outstanding updates are the optional language packs, and no hint of the little white square saying "reserve your copy today!" :(